The following thread is to show off your first ever BA paint job(s), alongside your current work.

Everyone had to start somewhere and looking back at these older models is more than just a nostalgia exercise; for you it shows off how far you've come on your painting journey and for others, it offers inspiration to those just starting out/looking to improve, and a reason why they should keep at it.

To get the ball rolling, here's one of mine (painted maybe twenty years ago)

gallery_62972_9848_266455.jpg

and here's some similar models I did earlier this year:

gallery_62972_9848_37657.jpg

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Most of the Blood Angels I paint are bits of them on the bases of my Eldar but the first Space Marine I ever painted was a Blood Angel.

Painted this guy back in 1995.

Blood Angel

The most recent Blood Angel I painted was the Games Day 2012 model. I did most of the work back in 2013 or 2014 but rebased him in 2016.

Blood Angel

Then (circa 2001):

gallery_40907_9492_9444.jpg

Now (2017):

gallery_40907_9492_77397.jpg

I still have my first squad that I never really retouched. I should try to take a modern picture of them.

I have a feeling we'll see lots of those 2nd edition plastics ;)

Thanks for posting; the contrast in style is impressive and I'm glad to hear you still have the old guys as they are. Mine are the same too :)

This is a great idea :smile.: Here are a couple of my old models from over 20 years ago, I'm pleased to say I have indeed improved a little bit since then :wink:

Before:

med_gallery_27469_12034_351122.jpgmed_gallery_27469_12034_67522.jpg

... and after

med_gallery_27469_12034_688218.jpg

Did that Captain ever come with a banner pole like that, or was that an early conversion attempt? I like how you've ditched the concept of doing the shoulder pad trims for him (I'm the same, never doing trims again). My Chaplain is still the same with the red Crozius and armour trim. Doubt I'll ever change him even though the upgrade looks great :)

Most of the Blood Angels I paint are bits of them on the bases of my Eldar but the first Space Marine I ever painted was a Blood Angel.

The most recent Blood Angel I painted was the Games Day 2012 model. I did most of the work back in 2013 or 2014 but rebased him in 2016.

That first guy looks familiar somehow :whistling:

As for the most recent, I thought it was the Captain with plasma pistol and power sword? Anyway, you're going to nag me to finish that 2012 Captain now, aren't you? :sad.:

No luck with my first ever squad from the 2nd ed box, do still have some of my first minis after that though to compare. 2nd ed metal minis painted around 97 beside plastic devastators painted last year (except for the cabling I apparently missed on the lascannon...).

gallery_48561_5329_318485.jpg

This is a great idea :smile.: Here are a couple of my old models from over 20 years ago, I'm pleased to say I have indeed improved a little bit since then :wink:

Before:

med_gallery_27469_12034_351122.jpgmed_gallery_27469_12034_67522.jpg

... and after

med_gallery_27469_12034_688218.jpg

Did that Captain ever come with a banner pole like that, or was that an early conversion attempt? I like how you've ditched the concept of doing the shoulder pad trims for him (I'm the same, never doing trims again). My Chaplain is still the same with the red Crozius and armour trim. Doubt I'll ever change him even though the upgrade looks great :smile.:

It was a custom addition yeah, can't remember what banner was on it. I removed the pole for the repaint and still have yet to fill the hole in the backpack actually. As for trims I find that I prefer most models without them painted, but some special models may have it done. For most marines I like them being a good, solid block of red* as it looks awesome :D

*except for different helmet colours of course!

That first guy looks familiar somehow :whistling:

As for the most recent, I thought it was the Captain with plasma pistol and power sword? Anyway, you're going to nag me to finish that 2012 Captain now, aren't you? :sad.:

The models I gave you were painted a while later but pretty much following the same colours. I did keep the one in the photo as it was my first. I also still have the very first model I painted.

I painted the Games Day model after the Captain.

Good idea for a thread.

I managed to find a photo

Guy on the right I think came with the starter paint set I bought in 1999, and was definitely among the first 20 - 30 models I painted.

gallery_58096_13431_7365.jpg

I started repainting my Blood Angels a decade ago (2007 - 2009), and these were the best models I had at the time

gallery_58096_13429_16905.jpg

And this is the most recent BA model I painted

gallery_58096_13426_275518.jpg

But these are probably some of the best models I have painted:

gallery_58096_11927_492613.jpg

gallery_58096_11862_420893.jpg

Edited by Xenith

This is a fantastic idea for a thread.  I may have to dig up some of my originals just to throw into the mix.  The most recent BA I painted was about 6 years back but this was still over a decade after the first  :)

Heh - found my 1994 2nd Eds in a storage box last Christmas.

They seemed very apt to test out the 'retro' backdrop that Tablewar put out at the start of this year. 

Hidden Content

RetroMarines

The (very orange) highlighting isn't dreadful... although the freehand company markings look like crayon :-)

Hidden Content

OldMarines2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent thread idea idea!

As hes just been done for RTS this is my most recent model.
918487_sm-.JPG

And this is one of my first on coming back to the hobby in 2011 aged 21. I don't have anything from my first forays aged 9/10.
918603_sm-.JPG
The unhighlighted black and front on shot hide a multitude of sins, there are mouldlines everywhere. Mediocre pose, gun barrell not drilled, white covers inconsistently and is crudely black lined, little depth to the metals, no highlights on anything... at least it's rasonably neat.  I think it's fair to say I've come on a bit.

I don't have any pictures of my oldest models (from 21/22 years ago), oldest ones I could find pictures of are from about 13 years ago.

gallery_14877_8976_23503.jpg

and my most recent one (though Im doing 5 others atm):

med_gallery_14877_13354_534473.jpg

I think i actually peaked and was a somewhat better painter a few years ago though when I did my tycho.

med_gallery_14877_7794_10253.jpg

As for the models, I'm surprised how much they increased in size over the years- BEFORE the Primaris came about.

Yeah and then imagine the pain CSM player have to go through since their infantry isn't even on the level of the loyalists old Marines (except for the Raptor kit). :sweat:

I think ive actually redone or stripped most of my original models :ermm:

I felt the squads that were with me all this while and won me so many games deserved a new paintjob :happy.:

I do think ive still got a few of the 'old guard' lying around that had weapon options that I never used anymore. Il see if I cant find a few to share :wink:

Great work guys!

The next time I wisit my parents place I’ll see what treasured I can find in my old boys room. I played orks back in Rogue trader and none of my BA are older than 5th ed. Perhaps I’ll be inspired by this and make a orks then and now thread as a tribute to this thread

• 1 month later...