Unit of the Week: Furioso Dreadnought

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Furioso Dreadnought
sml_gallery_62972_11847_216738.jpg
Fragioso, Appiah5

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you play a Furioso Dreadnought?

Stormraven or Lucius Pod? Any merit to footslogging in this edition?
Is the weapon choice as clear cut as before, or does it still depend on delivery?
How would you consider buffing this chap on a regular basis?
Stratagems? What about the Wisdom of the Ancients?

Over to you.

I have two armed with frag cannons. They haven't seen a huge amount of play, but the 8" movement combined with an assault weapon and smoke launchers helps that out nicely. I don't have any experience running anything other than the cannon on a furioso, it has come in handy against flyers!

As far as buffs, Malakim Phoros or a Lt for rerolls to wound. They aren't bad candidates for our psychic buffs but it seems like there will probably be better in your army.

Genuinely hadn't thought of using the frag cannon against Flyers (which is odd considering the amount of discussion about using heavy flamers in that manner), thanks for that :)

I can't seem to find a reason to run a Furioso without a frag cannon. And with a frag cannon I'm not going to run a Furioso in place of a DC unless I'm running multiple dreads. 

I have two Furioso dreads. I armed my first Furioso with a heavy flamer and frag, and have left the arm removable from my other so I can run him with a frag or as a regular dread and put on an assault cannon or las cannon.

I love their movement, and will definitely try a foot-rush of 2X frag cannon Furiosos.

To make this a regular choice I'd want either a longer ranger on the frag cannon, something like the IG hellhound, or a cheaper point cost (or both).

Mh yeah currently the Furioso seems more like something for casual games. If you love Dreadnoughts you can take him without feeling too bad about it (with a Fragcannon) but don't expect him to rock your games.

Something I'll definitely try once I get my Dreadnought list running (so maybe in a few years considering how fast I'm at painting my Knights of Baal...). 

Still no role as a distraction unit from a Lucius Drop Pod as in the past?

Pod needs to die to avoid losing Linebreaker or an objective (if within 3", of course) and then you've got a Fragioso too close for comfort with the potential to delete two units next turn (well, you might bag a tank with magna grapple on the turn you drop but it's probably best not to be overly aggressive and bide your time).

Played a game against wolves. I placed a dc dread and a furioso in my deployment as my screen. My opponent choose to charge both with his thunder cav and wulfen. The frag cannon and heavy flamer managed to kill 2 thunder cav who then failed their charge and managed to kill 3 wulfen.

An extremely expensive screen but was very effective

Still no role as a distraction unit from a Lucius Drop Pod as in the past?

Pod needs to die to avoid losing Linebreaker or an objective (if within 3", of course) and then you've got a Fragioso too close for comfort with the potential to delete two units next turn (well, you might bag a tank with magna grapple on the turn you drop but it's probably best not to be overly aggressive and bide your time).

I think the Frag Cannon being what it is now has killed the Pod version for me. Would rather use a DC Dread in all other cases because it's easier to buff and choppier.

Played a game against wolves. I placed a dc dread and a furioso in my deployment as my screen. My opponent choose to charge both with his thunder cav and wulfen. The frag cannon and heavy flamer managed to kill 2 thunder cav who then failed their charge and managed to kill 3 wulfen.

An extremely expensive screen but was very effective

Nice!

When you say screen, do you mean "advanced in front of your other units"? If so I like it!

• 9 months later...

Threadcro.

Current tactic I'm looking at is the Heavy Flamer + Fragcannon in a Storm Raven to drop down turn 2 for 3d6 auto hits and 4 strength 12 attacks for a bubble clearing charge.

Possibly also making use of the Ancients Stratagen allowing re-rolls of 1 for everything within bubble range. E

I.e. hovermode storm raven re-rolling 1s to hit. Speaking of that, would it also allow re-rolls of 1s for auto hits?

I think this might be a viable option for our otherwise lack luster dread!

If they had the deathwatch version, or had a range of 12", I would run them more often.

As is, they struggle to get into range most games, even casual ones

This is why I think they need a bird. Getting a 20" or more movement turn 1 and an 11" movement turn 2 with 8" ranged weapons makes that at least somewhat more appealing.

Making a normally 350+ point model cost roughly 60 points more if you go bare bones isn't a terrible trade off to deliver a Fragrioso.

If they had the deathwatch version, or had a range of 12", I would run them more often.

As is, they struggle to get into range most games, even casual ones

This is why I think they need a bird. Getting a 20" or more movement turn 1 and an 11" movement turn 2 with 8" ranged weapons makes that at least somewhat more appealing.

Making a normally 350+ point model cost roughly 60 points more if you go bare bones isn't a terrible trade off to deliver a Fragrioso.

And when you disembark you get to place the «backside» of the base at the 3”-mark. What is the diameter of the dread’s base? 60mm or 50mm, that is about 2” more

Archived