[Review] Raging Heroes - Mantis Warriors, Troops

Jolemai

Raging Heroes - Mantis Warriors, Troops

med_gallery_62972_10948_187807.jpg

The link for these can be found here.

These were part of the TGG2 Kickstarter so I can't comment on any normal delivery time or packaging (feel free to let me know in the replies and I'll update this bit with delivery info, etc). However, this is how they turned up (and with some 25 mm round bases):

Bag:

gallery_62972_10948_604105.jpg

Of course this means there are some bits rolling around loose but there's no damage.

On to the models, there's some flash as expected with resin. Detail is crisp and you can see evidence of the circular mould technique they use::

Front:

gallery_62972_10948_284998.jpg

Back:

gallery_62972_10948_917008.jpg

All the models are very light and delicate, but not flimsy. The resin itself is firm and responds well to cleanup.

Zoom:

Front:

gallery_62972_10948_754823.jpg

Back:

gallery_62972_10948_623604.jpg

The mould lines are very minor and aren't in places that cause problems. On close inspection there is a small bubble but nothing that liquid green stuff wont fix:

Bubble:

gallery_62972_10948_933345.jpg

The pieces are all ball & socket joints meaning you can pose them how you wish. For this review, here's one I knocked up:

Front:
gallery_62972_10948_701966.jpg
My apologies for the bad picture here...

Side:
gallery_62972_10948_613546.jpg

Back:
gallery_62972_10948_142546.jpg

The tab for the slottabase fits all the way across, but I will need to smooth it out with liquid green stuff.

Finally, we have a comparison picture of Raging Heroes' offering placed alongside some of GW's.

From left to right: Eldar Guardian (2nd edition) -> Mantis Warrior -> current Tactical Marine kit -> Space Hulk Terminator:

gallery_62972_10948_394703.jpg

Despite being the right scale, she looks so delicate compared to the others. Of course, she's leaning forwards and I haven't got a normal Daemonette to compare, but she's about the same as a Fantasy Elf in proportions.

Edit: Added a shot of the full squad showing off multiple poses

gallery_62972_10948_44077.jpg

Awesome minis!  These seem to compare favourably to GW models and I think they'd make an awesome "elite" unit for a standard Slaanesh army (40k or AoS), or perhaps character upgrades.  Will you be painting them up?

Awesome minis!  These seem to compare favourably to GW models and I think they'd make an awesome "elite" unit for a standard Slaanesh army (40k or AoS), or perhaps character upgrades.  Will you be painting them up?

:ph34r.:Eventually :ph34r.:

Let me know how they undercoat, for I've had major problems getting airbrush primers to stick to my Raging hero's ladies  ....
So much so i went and bought a rattle can of GW primer ... I didnt have any army painter left and im far too impatient to wait ....

This is despite soaking overnight in a basin of washing up liquid and treating it like i do most other resin  /  " Foulcast" .

It just seemed harder to get the undercoat to stick ...  It fails the fingernail test which means im not going to paint over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know how they undercoat, for I've had major problems getting airbrush primers to stick to my Raging hero's ladies ....

So much so i went and bought a rattle can of GW primer ... I didnt have any army painter left and im far too impatient to wait ....

This is despite soaking overnight in a basin of washing up liquid and treating it like i do most other resin / " Foulcast" .

It just seemed harder to get the undercoat to stick ... It fails the fingernail test which means im not going to paint over it.

Will do! Although it will be a couple of months (at least) before I get around to doing them. I'll make sure to do an update!

Let me know how they undercoat, for I've had major problems getting airbrush primers to stick to my Raging hero's ladies  ....

This is despite soaking overnight in a basin of washing up liquid and treating it like i do most other resin  /  " Foulcast" .

It just seemed harder to get the undercoat to stick ...  It fails the fingernail test which means im not going to paint over it.

Usually indicates that the first wash wasn't enough to get rid of the release agent. Sometimes this can be persistent, I've had FW kits that require three serious scrubbings with a toothbrush and washing up liquid to be ready for primer.

One thing I've found helps is a layer of varnish (matte so any parts you miss will show up and you can go over them with brush on varnish). Have never had primer come off resin that I've varnished first.

• 7 months later...

Later than planned and sorry for the delay, but I've put together the full five-man squad showing off the types of poses that can be attained with the ball & socket joints. I should, however, stress that if you're used to building Marines where the smallest, fiddliest bit you'll ever have to add is a purity seal, you may find yourself breaching the swear filter more than once on this journey...

gallery_62972_10948_44077.jpg

Archived