Unit of the Week: Sanguinary Priest

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Sanguinary Priest
sml_gallery_62972_11847_53976.jpg
Sanguinary Priest (kitbash), Aub

I’ve never tried it, but if a chaplain, a sanguinary priest, and a lieutenant walk into a bar fight... hilarity ensues with rerolls to hit, and s5 reroll 1’s to wound if a bit expensive... try dropping them in with a squad of hammernators and watch your opponent cry when they get back up after working so hard to put them down! Sanguinary guard would probably also be pretty nuts.

Since we’re already being ridiculous, bonus points for the standard of Sacrifice and unleash rage!

I have used JP priest to good use with melee centric armies. JP priest have very strong buff for our army IMO.

They pair very well with sanguinary guards in my experience, the banner already gives reroll 1 to wounds and +1 str with blades means they can threaten those T8 targets easily. In addition, the 50% chance revive means if you succeed the priest will make its points back for sure.

When the beatstick guards are killed (it will happen) you can wings of fire him to your intercessors (or other units) to help them for the final rounds.

Their main weakness is that it is hard to turn them into beatstick, they absolutely need to buffs units to be effective and if you plan to go for narthecium there is a good chance they won’t even shoot.

So this guy is basically cast as a support character, that is "point and click" with nothing unorthodox of note?

(Not aimed at anyone's reply just a general commentary)

Seems to work incredibly well with Primaris - their extra attacks benefit from the S5 to wound most opponents on 2+ & he can bring back 2W models with a heal.

Not to mention if you are playing codex rules he can't get any speed options.

What are you talking about? All the options from the Index are grandfathered in.
That's what he's saying. If you go with just the Codex and not using the chart he has no access to Jump Packs.

What are you talking about? All the options from the Index are grandfathered in.

Chill dude, I was simple stating that he cannot get a Jump pack/ Bike as an option in the codex.

Yes, the index ones are fully legal but personally, I'd rather not invest models into builds that may well be illegal within some decent time frame. Or, even worse get used to using a model that is then stripped away.

Seems to work incredibly well with Primaris - their extra attacks benefit from the S5 to wound most opponents on 2+ & he can bring back 2W models with a heal.

Totally agree with this. If you’re using codex only (which some metas, including mine, do), then he’s really best put to use with Primaris. Healing is more reliable than reviving, so he’s more likely to be of use, and +1S makes them pretty beastly troops.

The question I would raise is:

If you're going for a foot-slogging model...why not just take Brother Corbulo? His additional ~30pt cost offers plenty of benefits over a footslogging SP: Exploding 6's To Wound, re-rollable revives, and a S6 AP-1 sword on his own.

If you're going for a foot-slogging model...why not just take Brother Corbulo? His additional ~30pt cost offers plenty of benefits over a footslogging SP: Exploding 6's To Wound, re-rollable revives, and a S6 AP-1 sword on his own.

Because this is a thread about the normal SP and not Corbsy ;)

I, for one, think that comparison to similar available models is actually a helpful way to measure the value / effectiveness of a unit. Seem to be a few different people saying that you can't bring in comparisons or other options when a specific unit is being analyzed. I would personally think the opposite is true - the only way to helpfully analyze the SP is to see what other similar options are available and how it stacks up.

A number of local tournaments have been moving away from "flow charting" and only allow codex options. Particularly some of the smaller or lower points tourneys. Pretty annoying tbh that they lost the JP from such an iconic BA model, in the most iconic JP army.

I believe the Red Grail's Rules are exploding 6's to Hits, as opposed to Wounds. I do agree if you're footslogging than Corbulo is easily worth the point difference, especially if you are running a Primaris or Sanguinary guard list.

I think the biggest benefit of a vanilla priest is filling a mandatory Battalion HQ Slot if running double Battalions (assuming Captain smash, Mephiston and a LT are taken for the other 3 slots) as he's the cheapest non redundant HQ besides Techmarines.

I, for one, think that comparison to similar available models is actually a helpful way to measure the value / effectiveness of a unit.

That's not the point of these threads tho. It's about HOW to use them.

Archived