Unit of the Week: Captain in Cataphractii Armour

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Captain in Cataphractii Armour

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Captain in Cataphractii Armour?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? Does the weapon choice play a part in this?
  • Footslog, teleport, or transport? Suitable for Warlord duties?
  • What are you buffing with Rites of Battle?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread from the series), then submit a photo here please.

Captain Unkillable:

Captain in Cataphractii Terminator Armor

-(war gear of choice, but I like Hammer of Baal + combi-melta

Ancient of Choice

-Standard of Sacrifice

Company Veterans

What this gives you is a T4 6W 2+/3++/5+++ dude who can also shunt Wounds off to the Vets on a 2+.

How this looks in the wild:

Capt Cataphractii

-Hammer of Baal

-Combi-Melta

Brother Corbulo

Cataphractii Term x5

-dual Lightning claws

Company Ancient

-Standard of Sacrifice

Company Vets x 2

-Boltguns + pistols of choice

Land Raider Crusader

-wargear of choice

Takes up exactly 16 slots in the LRC and gives you 16x LC attacks, re-rolling 1’s To Hit, wounding most things on re-rollable 2’s or 3’s, w/ exploding 6’s. That’s also 10x T4 2+/4++/5+++ wounds to chew through before reaching the Capt himself.

Capt Unkillable himself is hitting on re-rollable 2’s w/ exploding 6’s since the HoB has no -1 To Hit.

It’s a very “heavy” set up that will attract fire, but it will get the job done. Tournament value is arguable, but it can be a very mean setup for competitive environments.

I have not used Capt in Cataphractii outside of the above.

No experience with this guy personally, but there's something pretty appealing about being able to get that 2+/3++ without having to take a Storm Shield, leaving that hand free for other wargear.

I love the idea of a Cataphractii Captain but I just don't like the thought of being a pure melee unit with just 4" movement and having to halve the roll for advancing on top of it. Regardless of being able to deep strike or not (especially with the beta rules).

He'd probably make a great counter-charge unit while babysitting something shooty tho.

No experience with this guy personally, but there's something pretty appealing about being able to get that 2+/3++ without having to take a Storm Shield, leaving that hand free for other wargear.

Where does he get the 3++? Cataphracti armour is 4++

Too bad Artificer Armour + Iron Halo does not exist any more.

Where does he get the 3++? Cataphracti armour is 4++

Too bad Artificer Armour + Iron Halo does not exist any more.

he gets them from the special rule “cataphractii armour and iron halo”. 3++.

I like the idea of him babysitting your shooty firebase. The 6” intervention could come as a shock from a slow turtle like him.

It is pretty hilarious how a uint with a 4” base movement can potentially heroically intervene at 6” (with WLT) or charge 12”. Guess the dude just needs the right motivation.

EDIT: spelling

He'd probably make a great counter-charge unit while babysitting something shooty tho.

I agree with this statement. This is the captain you want in the middle of your Hellblaster pack, pack of dreadnoughts or any firebase really. I could also see him dropping in with 3 squads of plasma inceptors. Do the business with the plasma inceptors and move him up to go choppy smashy with what is left. 

He would also be good in a list that was designed around a moving fortress of land raiders or deep-strike into shooting lists.

Archived