Unit of the Week: Contemptor Dreadnought

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Contemptor Dreadnought
sml_gallery_62972_11847_36755.jpg
Contemptor Dreadnought (conversion), Majkhel

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Contemptor Dreadnought?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

** Please note that this is not Forge World's Relic Contemptor Dreadnought, but the one found in Codex: Blood Angels. The FW unit will be discussed at a later date.

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread from the series), then submit a photo here please.

** In particular, I'm after a Codex: Blood Angels Contemptor Dreadnought for this one please.

There is absolutely no reason not to add another Assault canon to BA army, and Contemptor does that nicely. I like this fellow a lot. Walk up the board usually on a flank using terrain to cover from nastier guns. Choosing targets for Kheres on the way. And then charge if possible. 

*My 5th Company Contemptor Dario added to the 'Photo Opportunity' thread :Elite:

I like the combination of an 8" move, 2+/5++, and 2+/2+ BS/WS. It makes for a fast moving, surprisingly durable threat. While it does degrade with damage, starting at a 2+ means you don't notice the degradation nearly as much as you do with, say, the Redemptor. I second the Assault Cannon. You just can't go wrong with it.

I don't like the eggnoughts look-wise (boxnoughts ftw) but it's hard to argue against the 5++. That's something regular Dreadnoughts are terribly missing and why they aren't quite competetive.

The Assault Cannon is the clear winner. 2p cheaper than the Multi-Melta and gives you 6 S7 AP-1 D1 shots instead of a single S8 AP-4 D1d6 shot. Weight of fire is still the way to go with most things.

The degrading profile is a bit annoying since it just barely has 10 wounds, however even when it's down to 5 wounds it still hits as good as regular Dreadnoughts so it's not that bad.

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread from the series), then submit a photo here please.

** In particular, I'm after a Codex: Blood Angels Contemptor Dreadnought for this one please.

But I have a lovely successor one ;)

So while I have only used the Relic version, mine had a Kheres so wasn't too different.

It finished off a Warhound Titan in it's last outing.

But I have a lovely successor one :wink:

So while I have only used the Relic version, mine had a Kheres so wasn't too different.

Oh I know, and I umm'd and arr'd about using it. However, it has an illegal secondary weapon choice for the Codex version (i.e. it's a Relic Contemptor Dreadnought). There's actually two Relic Contemptors and a Mortis Contemptor submitted so far.

But I have a lovely successor one :wink:

Oh I know, and I umm'd and arr'd about using it. However, it has an illegal secondary weapon choice for the Codex version (i.e. it's a Relic Contemptor Dreadnought). There's actually two Relic Contemptors and a Mortis Contemptor submitted so far.

What's with the one from Majkhel?

It looks like a legit Contemptor Dreadnought unless you say the chainsaw thingy on the Assault Cannon counts as Dreadnought Chainfist. It's also a great model with lots of Blood Angel bling so it would be a great choice anyway.

Archived