Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Lieutenants

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Lieutenant?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? If so, will these be separate FOC slots?
  • Footslog or jump pack? Weapon choices of note?
  • How are you making use of Jump Pack Assault and Tactical Precision? How much does list design weigh on these?
  • How are you buffing this unit? What are you using this unit to buff?
  • Stratagems? Warlord?

Over to you

Lieutenants are like your house keys - you shouldn't leave home without them. Like most BA players I want my space vampires in melee tearing stuff up. Re-rolling 1's To Wound is just so useful I can't see myself ever not fielding one. They're not that expensive either, I like to run mine with a Power Sword as it doesn't break the bank and helps him with his damage output.

He's still very much a buffing character though so he's not there to deal damage himself. In fact I've kept him out of combat sometimes, just placed him close enough to still be doing his thing. Depending on who he's buffing as to if I give him a Jump Pack or not - naturally if he's supporting Sanguinary Guard he'll need a Jump Pack to keep up with them.

He's part of my dream team with a Captain, Sanguinary Priest and Company Ancient (you know with which banner!) who help make the rest of my BA extra choppy :D

To piggy back off Arkaniss, I really like the lieutenant for the re-roll to wound.

I feel like the MEQ is the better option, simply because he has more options.

My current lieutenant of choice has a power sword and inferno pistol on foot. My thought process behind this load out is based on drop pod or storm raven.

He is cheaper without the jump pack and has a bit more utility this way. I gave him the inferno pistol on the off chance he will get to shoot if he is close to a unit of death company on foot or if something gets close to a squad of devaststors etc.

I think a cheap hammerdin with death visions and a jump pack makes for an ace character if you are tight on points.

I tend to take one Lieutenant, and he hangs out with my Devastators in the backfield. I find that getting to reroll 1s on my heavy weapons really helps me get my points worth out of the squad. He takes a power-fist and a master-crafted bolter, and I find he does some serious work with it. The MC Bolter helps keep him cheap, and lets him lend a little fire to the Devs if things get a bit close. The power-fist is primarily because it looks awesome, and I love power-fists, but I've found that, with his WS2+. he hits almost as well as a Captain, and between the Red Thirst and rerolling 1s to wound, he's going to put serious pain onto anything that doesn't kill him first.

Given the tactical value of Devs, I've found that having the Lieutenant hanging out nearby as a counter-charge unit tends to make back-field deep-strikers think twice about charging the group.

I like that idea CaptainHelion! I do like to run my Devs now and then and a backfield shooty Lieutenant sounds useful. Nothing more annoying than rolling a 1 to wound with a heavy weapon against a big critter or a tank :P Gives me an excuse to make a new Lieutenant model as I only have the one - not counting old command squad models I use sometimes!

I like that idea CaptainHelion! I do like to run my Devs now and then and a backfield shooty Lieutenant sounds useful. Nothing more annoying than rolling a 1 to wound with a heavy weapon against a big critter or a tank :P Gives me an excuse to make a new Lieutenant model as I only have the one - not counting old command squad models I use sometimes!

There is still about 7 hours to make a vow for one in ETL ;)

I like to have the jump pack on the lieutenant, even is it makes him slightly too expensive. It's epic to use UWoF to get the re-roll bubble where it is needed most.

Reroll 1s to wound is almost as good as 1s to hit making the Lieutenant my budget general of choice for low point games. A fantastic support piece with any load out he really shines with high strength weaponry. Jump pack thunder hammer and combi melta is pricy but can drop a hive tyrant. A+

A Lieutenant is one of the most useful units in the entire Codex.

Whereas the Sanguinary Ancient gives you re-roll 1's in the Fight phase, the LT goes for Shooting (and Overwatch...) as well as in melee. It's almost impossible to go wrong with one. Footslogging? Gunline? Super Aggressive? You can hardly ever go wrong with a LT.

As Blood Angels, we get extra useful mileage out of a LT with a jump pack beyond just the mobility bonus. Yes, a jump pack let's him keep up with the rest of our units, but also so many of our units are a blend of both shooty + stabby. Think Sanguinary Guard or DC with the inestimable bolter + chainsword combo: a jump LT helps them with both shooting and stabbing. Theoretically, you could do jump Company vets with plasma guns + melee weapons and you can see just how much benefit a LT could provide a single unit.

I like mine with Thunder Hammer + Inferno pistol (or combi-melta if there's spare points) since he do some serious work on enemy Transports and the like on his own, or be yet another hammer unit against those big scary things. For budget purposes, keep his Master Crafted boltgun: that thing is quite good for its points. It is almost always useful to give him a melee weapon since WS2+ and 3A with Red Thirst is just too good to pass up.

One of my perennial frenemies runs a mech Salamanders list, and his footslogging LT's with Thunder Hammers have been the MVP's time and time again. Abusing the heck out of Heroic Intervention + the WS2+ is just SO good as a counter-attacking force, especially since the opponent (me, far too often) can't target him back unless he was declared in the original charge.

A Lieutenant is one of the most useful units in the entire Codex.

Whereas the Sanguinary Ancient gives you re-roll 1's in the Fight phase, the LT goes for Shooting (and Overwatch...) as well as in melee. It's almost impossible to go wrong with one. Footslogging? Gunline? Super Aggressive? You can hardly ever go wrong with a LT.

As Blood Angels, we get extra useful mileage out of a LT with a jump pack beyond just the mobility bonus. Yes, a jump pack let's him keep up with the rest of our units, but also so many of our units are a blend of both shooty + stabby. Think Sanguinary Guard or DC with the inestimable bolter + chainsword combo: a jump LT helps them with both shooting and stabbing. Theoretically, you could do jump Company vets with plasma guns + melee weapons and you can see just how much benefit a LT could provide a single unit.

I like mine with Thunder Hammer + Inferno pistol (or combi-melta if there's spare points) since he do some serious work on enemy Transports and the like on his own, or be yet another hammer unit against those big scary things. For budget purposes, keep his Master Crafted boltgun: that thing is quite good for its points. It is almost always useful to give him a melee weapon since WS2+ and 3A with Red Thirst is just too good to pass up.

One of my perennial frenemies runs a mech Salamanders list, and his footslogging LT's with Thunder Hammers have been the MVP's time and time again. Abusing the heck out of Heroic Intervention + the WS2+ is just SO good as a counter-attacking force, especially since the opponent (me, far too often) can't target him back unless he was declared in the original charge.

This is a great post. Will have to consider these point if I get a chance to do up a couple of LTs.

Archived