Unit of the Week: Captain in Terminator Armour

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Captain in Terminator Armour
sml_gallery_62972_11847_161686.jpg
Captain in Terminator Armour, spagunk

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a TDA Captain?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • Footslog or transport? Suitable for Warlord duties?
  • What weapons and equipment are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you using Teleport Strike and how are you using Rites of Battle effectively?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Nb: Please note that Captain, Cataphractii Captain, Primaris Captain, and Gravis Captain will be covered on a separate entry.

Honestly never noticed that option either; definitely worth taking if you go down the power fist route :)

My two are the classic one (storm bolter, relic blade/power sword) and Karlaen (storm bolter, thunder hammer). As I play Tactical Terminators, I suppose I could drop one in alongside them in lieu of using Strike of Archangels on the Terminators (Re-rolling all 1s Vs re-rolling everything for a turn for 2 CP). Theoretically it's a good babysitting unit with a decent combat output for that role. Same if I ever decide to footslog them at full strength.

If needed I could use the typical combat stratagems, but I doubt he's be my Warlord. If so, any could be useful - especially the 6" HI depending on the combat weapon.

I love my Karlaen TDA Captain model, most of the time I run a Captain it's him lately. I give him the Relic Thunder Hammer and watch him wreck everything he comes into contact with. He's one dimensional sure but with proper support he does really well. As part of a strike force or sitting back holding the line ready to counter charge he always does a job for me. Not to pricey these days either - I give him the Arkaniss seal of approval :thumbsup::biggrin.:

Archived