Unit of the Week: Land Raider Crusader

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Land Raider Crusader

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a LRC?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • What units (if any) will you be transporting and how will they be equipped?
  • Are you making the most out of the Frag Assault Launchers?
  • What optional weapons choices are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Yet to own or use a Landraider, however they get a bad rep in the "list-hammer" centric view of online-everyman-armychair-general and I think that's somewhat misplaced.

In casual to mid-high competitive they can do just fine, they're just a bit of an all-in choice. It's a large chunk of points to transport a no-doubt other large chunk of points in safety. However CA18 dropped the points, so that's a solid start.

IMO, the Crusader is probably the best Variant of the lot. With the bolter beta rules it puts out an ungodly amount of horde clearing shots, something you want to break open a hole in your opponents lines to get to the juicy stuff behind.

T8 is incredible as is the native 2+. Bring an allied Librarian for Might of Heroes and T9 to really hurt your opponents.

Yes, with assault cannon, storm bolter, Beta Bolters and VEHICLE status, it's  putting out 40 shots a turn at 24", which isn't too shabby. 8 dead GEQ on average from the bolt weapons alone, then another 4 or so from the assault cannons. 

To get the most from it, you normally need a unit to transport. Vanguard with sword and board are pretty cheap now, especially without packs. Add a priest and they're wounding MEQ on a 2+ in combat. 

I think the biggest help is the Beta Bolter rule. Let's it keep it's distance and reduce the risk of it getting tagged. The biggest downside of landraiders is when it gets touched and then can't shoot after falling back.

I don't have one, but would love to try one out for all that dakka. 

I have only used mine once since the point drop and bolter beta went into effect. It has always been a favorite of mine and preferred transport for Brother Corbulo and a couple 5man x2 chainsword company veteran squads or lightening claw cataphractii terminators. I like being able to stick up to 8 jump pack infantry in it, but I haven't tried it yet. With the point drop I think adding the MM, storm bolter, and HKM brings it to about what it would've costed bare before which, for me, makes them an auto include where I might have wrestled with taking upgrades in the past. The size can be a double edged sword. It's big enough to completely hide most other vehicles, but it has also caused some serious traffic jams for me. It can be very useful for soaking overwatch and dealing mortal wounds with the frag assault launchers but I think you have to really count on wiping the unit and not getting counter charged, as BluejayJunior said you really don't want to be tied up in combat. Although, I do find it hilarious when it ends up pumping out extra hits due to Corbulo's buff.

I've found it to be a superb choice. Very tough and excellent anti-horde capabilities. A lot of people here are suggesting the storm bolter as an add on, but I like to give it a multi-melta just so it has some anti tank capability. Seems more useful to me than an extra four bolt shots on top of the 12 Assault Cannon shots and 24 bolt shots we're already getting. In my 2000 point list I run it co-currently with my Stormraven (which is basically a flying Crusader) which, although a big point sink, has actually worked extremely well. Opponents always panic at such a huge amount of dakka appearing right in front of their army and try to take out both vehicles rather than just focusing on one. This leads to both surviving and helps organise an army-wide charge on turn two.

In terms of transport, I actually use my Crusader as a means of getting dakka close to the front line rather than as a charge delivery system. I pack it with a Sternguard squad equipped with combi-meltas and combi-plasmas, a Lieutenant to help them and a Librarian. I deliver my charging units through other means, although if you want footslogging DC or Vanguard Vets then the Crusader's huge transport capacity means you could do a lot worse.

All in all, the Crusader is IMO a beast of a vehicle worthy of a place in any army. It packs a ranged punch and gives a special unit an armoured shell so you can get them where you need them to be safely. Perfect for Blood Angels

A LRC can take all of the following options:

Hunter killer missile

Storm bolter

Multi-melta

With 8th Ed's universal Split Fire, if you have the points, there's not reason not to take all of the above (and at 2pts, you have the points for a storm bolter).

These things are classics and still a solid delivery method for any beatstick unit. They go down unfortunately easy in 8th, but then again so does anything and everything an opponent wants to die. It's more about what else are you bringing to draw attention away from it or how are you deploying/screening it.

I think it's main competitor is the Stormraven: both have similar capabilities in terms of weapon loadouts (Assault Cannon(s) + Multi-Melta(s) + Hurricane Bolters) though the LRC makes up for its weaker maneuverability with its larger Transport Capacity. Similar price points when loaded up as well.

I think they are fun and can be useful, but take a bit more care and effort.

My personal experience is that its a good to mow down infantry units. Its a LOT of shooting, and the Twin Linked Assault Cannon is pretty nasty.

Its relevant though, that I've played against Orks, and two armies of Chaos Space Marines.

For Blood Angels though, its not as useful as for other armies, as most of our stuff wants to fly away. But don't doubt how much firepower it can bring, and I feel its better than the Redeemer.

Ran

Archived