Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Rhino

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Rhino?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • What units (if any) will you be transporting and how will they be equipped?
  • What optional weapons choices are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Please note that the Damocles Command Tank and Rhino Primaris will be discussed elsewhere.

Now THIS is a unit!
Rhino always performs great for me. Blocks line of sight for my other units, initiates charges to eat overwatch, it's Storm Bolter always hits, can regenerate an odd wound and can go down in style if necessary :biggrin.:

I usually take mine whenever I play Mephiston with Company Veterans. Haven't actually used the Hunter-Killer Missile Launcher, but that's only because I haven't modelled it. 

EDIT: I've just put a magnet inside the hull. So now I can use the HKM :cool.:

Edited by Majkhel

Brilliant for driving around 2 squads packed with special weapons, charging the enemy and as has happened to me on several occasions, blowing up in the middle of gun lines dishing it mortal wounds to everything

As part of a massively aggressive army, a Rhino can form one of the vanguard of units for assault. 

With Scouts, Forlorn Fury, Libby Dread Wings of Sang and Jumper Wings of Fire - we have 3+ units being able to deploy within 9" or closer to the enemy. 

The Rhino with DC using Overcharged Engines means that there is one more massive threat unit ready to charge into the lines in Turn 2.  The protection afforded to the occupants, supported by Smoke Launchers, and then even some additional 5++ from a BA libby, or even Might of Heroes from an SM libby mean that this little box of death is right where you need it. 

As part of a massively aggressive army, a Rhino can form one of the vanguard of units for assault. 

With Scouts, Forlorn Fury, Libby Dread Wings of Sang and Jumper Wings of Fire - we have 3+ units being able to deploy within 9" or closer to the enemy. 

The Rhino with DC using Overcharged Engines means that there is one more massive threat unit ready to charge into the lines in Turn 2.  The protection afforded to the occupants, supported by Smoke Launchers, and then even some additional 5++ from a BA libby, or even Might of Heroes from an SM libby mean that this little box of death is right where you need it. 

I can tell this is in tune with your current way of thinking ;)

The concept using it to support an alpha overload is very interesting and certainly something I've had success with in previous editions. Using it for DC also saves you CP for Forlorn Fury (or you can use it elsewhere, i.e. a "Smash" Captain). I've been using Razorbacks for my DC (admittedly, I've not done this much this edition) but switching one out for a Rhino and doing the above with some Scouts (which I take anyway) and one of two other units is something I'll give a try :tu:

It's also worth highlighting the part about smoke launchers. Literally only just realised I can use them after advancing :ohmy.:

Funnily enough Rhinos in this edition get used in a way Drop Pods should work. Kinda a fire and forget battering ram to safely deliver some infantry. If it survive long enough to act as roadblock and/or mobile cover afterwards that's just cherry on the top.

Funnily enough Rhinos in this edition get used in a way Drop Pods should work. Kinda a fire and forget battering ram to safely deliver some infantry. If it survive long enough to act as roadblock and/or mobile cover afterwards that's just cherry on the top.

A mate of mine used to do that in 2nd edition. I guess some things never change :teehee:

I have used couple of razorbacks with heavy bolters and storm bolter quite often. With the new beta bolter rules I think I will change the razorbacks for rhinos with two storm bolters for couple of reasons. Rhino is 15pts cheaper, has self repair, more room and the firepower isn't really that bad.

Like others have said, rhino is a perfect delivery system for your infantry. After the main job is done, it works perfectly as a harrasment unit, eating overwatch, blocking LOS, assaulting shooty units etc.

My issue with transports in general is versus an Imperial Knight, Dark Eldar and Orks they don’t have the resilience I need in my meta. Also I feel ours are a bit overcosted as well.

You're not wrong, bud.  But, as per the core idea of the "Unit of the Week" threads, it's entirely about how we can get these units to work in new/different/unexpected ways!  

I might have to try the over charged engine rhino full of DC sometime.

Sounds like a good turn 2 threat without spending CP.

Rhinos are just a smidge too expensive imo, but that still makes them one of our most effecient vehicles

Think the key is to bring more threatening things to draw fire away from the cheap transports or vice versa.

Taking 1 is taking 0, taking 2 is having 1, taking 3 is a tactic kinda thing.

Edited by The Unseen

My issue with transports in general is versus an Imperial Knight, Dark Eldar and Orks they don’t have the resilience I need in my meta. Also I feel ours are a bit overcosted as well.

You're not wrong, bud.  But, as per the core idea of the "Unit of the Week" threads, it's entirely about how we can get these units to work in new/different/unexpected ways!  

If I knew I was going up against say a shooty SM army without Knights I might use a rhino to protect some squads/characters from a first turn alpha strike. I see that as one of its best applications.

Edited by Black Orange

It's a real shame the humble rhino isn't costed more competitively in this shooty game of shooting.

However, I think it boils down to what you make of it. Any gun shot at a Rhino is a gun not shot at something that matters! Be that it's occupants or a seperate unit.

With beta bolter rules adding a smidge of extra firepower in the opening turn, I'd love to see how a traditional Rhino Rush performs.

Maybe something like a mid-field parking lot is a viable tactic; before bursting out and hitting face. Just the sheer space they take up could be enough, who knows.

After playing some 30k recently, I really miss firepoints?

I see the Rhino as being a mobile special weapon delivery platform. With 2 5-man Tactical Squads you're looking at a potential 4 special weapons plus 6 mooks to protect them. It would be expensive points-wise though. 

Hadnt thought about that.  May have to look at it!!