Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Techmarine
sml_gallery_62972_11847_131312.jpg
Techmarine, spagunk

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Techmarine?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • What units (if any) will you be babysitting? Servo-harness, jump pack, or just a servo arm?
  • What optional weapons choices are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Please note that Primaris Techmarine will be discussed elsewhere

Edited by Jolemai

Sadly the jump pack option is ridiculously over costed from the index.

I like a biker techmarine if your running a lot of armor, like say, a trio of dreadnoughts.

Have him stick behind them, heal up a vehicle with his super fast move+advance if you need the full 20", and slap a combi weapon on him to take advantage of his 2+ BS, but keep his melee weapon cheap, as he only has a 3+ there.

Only reason I find it hard to fit him in my lists is I'm already heavy on HQs to begin with, and he's pretty much just a support one, though he can put in work.

How I run him? Subtract the axe, add a chainsword, then enjoy the Bennie's of a 45 pt Hq for HQ taxes. His bs and armor are pretty good for price I imagine a combi might be good on him, but it kind of undermines the savings :)

This guy is a lifesaver for HQ slots when I'm running an elite heavy list. I tend to run mechy lists so him or a libby for shield to protect repair my relic contemptors/levi and sicarans. He usually earns his pts for me.

Edited by SanguiniusJr

There were times when I used him as a cheap HQ, supporting backfield armor. The idea was to be able to add a wound or 2 to a damaged vehicle in case it survives initial enemy attention and to expand the no-drop zone a bit.   

Not game-breaking definitely.

How I run him? Subtract the axe, add a chainsword, then enjoy the Bennie's of a 45 pt Hq for HQ taxes. 

Is this actually possible Codex-wise? I can see that BS does allow doing this, but Codex says only he can exchange Bolter for Pistol or Combi and can get Servo Harness instead of the Servo Arm.

There were times when I used him as a cheap HQ, supporting backfield armor. The idea was to be able to add a wound or 2 to a damaged vehicle in case it survives initial enemy attention and to expand the no-drop zone a bit.   

Not game-breaking definitely.

How I run him? Subtract the axe, add a chainsword, then enjoy the Bennie's of a 45 pt Hq for HQ taxes. 

Is this actually possible Codex-wise? I can see that BS does allow doing this, but Codex says only he can exchange Bolter for Pistol or Combi and can get Servo Harness instead of the Servo Arm.

It's an Index option - he has an additional line in that datasheet that allows him to replace the axe with a weapon from the melee weapons list, so under current rules you can use the codex datasheet with the missing index wargear options and the most recently published points  e.g. servo arm reduced to 0 points in chapter approved.

So that means you need 3 books - index, codex, chapter approved 2018 (and check 3 FAQs) - for one unit. Yay streamlining.

I use Techmarines in my Ultramarines list and they help out Dreadnoughts immensely. Of course folk can often wipe out a Dreadnought in 1 turn but you'd be surprised how many times this doesn't happen or, like me you have multiple Dreads then you can repair the 2nd nicely.

In a Blood Angels list, with your faster moving focus on Assault troops, you can enjoy your support units surviving more often (good old saturation) and thus the Techmarine is more useful.

And the Blood Angels Leviathan is looking decidedly scrummy so why not have a Techmarine to fix him...

Good and cheap HQ for detachments. 8th has given this iconic SM unit entry new life I feel, being so very flexible in list building. Perfect for a spearhead with tanks to sit behind. Conversion Beamer is nice, too. BS 2+ and 2+ armour are a nice bonus to the cheap price.

Actually picked one up on eBay, so looking forward to paint it up kn future.

Snorri

The trick to get the most out of him is to run him vehicles that have a high point-per-wound value. A Rhino is only worth 7 points per wound so each repair roll will on average be worth only 14 points there. A Leviathan on the other hand is worth over 20 points per wound so the payback starts to look more interesting.

The cheap HQ point is interesting although I feel that an extra 15 points for a Lt will be worth more in many situations for the reroll 1s to wound aura. Still, YMMV

Untargettable repair bot for very cheap and fills a HQ slot for what, half the price as the next guy?

The points-per-vehicle-wound is excellent theory too, as repairing those two leviathan wounds means he's basically made his points back.

Not to mention CA18 missions often need characters and he is one!