Cataprachii Terminator Tactica

BLACK BLΠFLY

This is my mini Tactica on using Cataphractii Terminators (CATs) effectively and explains why I chose them.

8-AEB2220-59-DC-4-BA9-B542-00-BA14-CBD9-

Here’s my current build:

Cataphractii Terminator Squad:

. Cataphractii Sergeant: Chainfist - Combi-Bolter - Grenade Harness

. Cataphractii Terminator: Chainfist - Combi-Bolter

. Cataphractii Terminator: Chainfist - Combi-Bolter

. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-Bolter - Power Fist

. Cataphractii Terminator: Combi-Bolter - Power Fist

This unit comes in just under 200 points which is just right for me. Obviously Assault Centurions are very popular and rightly so now armed with siege drills, flamers and Hurricane Bolters - you can field a four man squad for just over 200 points. I chose CATs though since I run Ultramarines because they can deep strike. Assault Centurions are a superior choice for other factions like Ravenguard and White Scars since they provide similar inbuilt delivery systems.

The ability to deep strike really helps a relatively slow moving unit get them where you really need them and also protects them from alpha strikes and potent psychic attacks. Versus an army like Genestealer Shock or Cult it might be more prudent to simply deploy them at the start but with the threat of Infiltrators these types of lists have fallen out of vogue in more competitive circles. With pile-in and consolidate moves CATs can navigate quite quickly once they get stuck in... so their base 4" movement isn’t an issue. Opponents tend to forget about them as well when you’re blasting them apart in your shooting phases and can help to catch them off guard. I don’t often rely upon making a 9" charge from deep strike as it’s not very reliable... versus many armies though they will come to you and it’s not an issue in this type of situation.

I found I needed a solid melee unit to help protect my castle. CATs can also come in behind enemy lines to act as a shock unit applying pressure so there is some versatility to this application as well. The combi-bolters are quite good now as well buffed by Bolter Drill and the Tactical Doctrine. Obviously it’s not as good as Hurricane Bolters but I look at the shooting component for this unit as the sweet cherry on top since my army already has lots of Bolter fire in general.

CATs pack a serious punch with their deadly Chain Fists which are AP4 cutting straight through 2+ armor saves and inflicting straight damage D2. The Fury of the First stratagem boosts their weapon skill to 3+ bringing them on level with Assault Centurions when it comes to punching more accurately. They will inflict some serious damage to any target on the charge.

Finally CATs are quite resilient with their native 4++ invulnerable save plus say versus a hard hitting enemy character you can boost their survivability with the stratagem Transhuman Physiology. Sometimes just surviving one extra turn can swing a battle in your favor or drive the last nail in your enemy’s coffin. I rate them over both Assault Terminator and Terminator squads due to the combination of the 4++ invulnerable save, Chain Fists and Combi-Bolters. They work for me because they can deep strike since I play Ultramarines.

BBF I recently came into possesion of 10 CAT's. With some finagling of left over parts from my BaC CATS I have 2 squads worth of your current build.

Do you see ant value to fielding 2 squads, or a full 10 man unit?

A 10-man unit makes much better use of 'Fury of the First' and 'Transhuman Phsiology'.

BBF I recently came into possesion of 10 CAT's. With some finagling of left over parts from my BaC CATS I have 2 squads worth of your current build.

Do you see ant value to fielding 2 squads, or a full 10 man unit?

I’d field them as a ten man squad with the option to combat squad them. Ten is pretty scary so I’d definitely give it a go. /thumbsup

Do you think the Cataphractii work so well with Ultramarines do to them being able to move and fire as if they had not moved so they get to use bolter drill? I wonder if they would be equally as good with other chapters. What do you think? Or does moving and being able to access bolter drill really make them shine?

It's an expensive squad, at 400pt's.

What ever they hit should die, but I fear overkill will reduce the value.

At full strength what would be the purpose for such a unit, they would have a tactical goal for such an expense of points.

Deep strike back field, and consolidate sweep the enemies deployment zone?

I've thought to include a CAT Cpt. with them, I have the one that comes with BaC.

Fury of the First, and re-roll 1's is surely a devastating recipe.

Do you think the Cataphractii work so well with Ultramarines do to them being able to move and fire as if they had not moved so they get to use bolter drill? I wonder if they would be equally as good with other chapters. What do you think? Or does moving and being able to access bolter drill really make them shine?

They would already get full user of bolter drill, because they are terminators.

The big reason to run as Ultramarines is that they come with Deep Strike built in, and you're already running an Ultramarines force.

For myself I love the look of them far better than the failed design abomination that are Centurions.

So late game Hammer unit, find the strength in the remaining enemy forces, and tear it's heart out.

I like it.

Would you ever use the heavy weapons options?

Bolter Discipline makes combi bolters so good.

They would already get full user of bolter drill, because they are terminators.

The big reason to run as Ultramarines is that they come with Deep Strike built in, and you're already running an Ultramarines force.

For myself I love the look of them far better than the failed design abomination that are Centurions.

Ahhh right! Very good point. Forgot that terminators don't have to worry about moving and shooting. Thank you for reminding me!

Sorry my answer may be a bit naive, I don't play verry often. 

Yes the claws are not good against monsters and vehicles, of course. But claws can help againt a unit with lot of model that your oppenent sent in your Terminator. No ? 

I intended to play a squad of 5 : 5xcombi-bolter, 2 x chain fist and 3 x claws. That makes 5A (+ eventually shock assault, etc...) with high strength and PA for big things and 6A (+ eventually shock assault, etc...) with a good chance to hit and to wound for infantry units.

Is it a good idea ? Or it's not worth the saving of 9 points for taking claws instead of fist ? 

My army has lots of Bolter fire to deal with mass bodies so I don’t need them to clear chaff. I need them to take on major threats. The lightning claws just seem like a waste to me to be honest. Two chainfists aren’t that reliable and nine points just isn’t worth it... you should be able to find those points elsewhere in your list. I always go for multi damage melee weapons. One of the beauties of these Terminators is they can shoot and fight well which is one reason why I rate them over hammernators.