Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Tactical Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use some a Tactical Squad?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog, or transport?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Tacticals have been my armies backbone forever. They really gained a lot this edition being essentially able to take double specials at 5 men. Double plasma is a favourite, but puts them at 82pts, edging towards 5 intercessors who get double the wounds.

I've found they really need a transport otherwise they get blown off the board.

Next game I might try 2x5 with 4 plasma in a rhino. Might be a laugh, though I think 10SG with combi plasmas in a pod might be funnier, especially as I think we can now get the charge off more reliably to protect them, especially if you can get a litany of 2" bonus chaplain in there via UWoF.

I've been taking 2 squads of 5 with a Combi-Plas, Power Sword, and Missile Launcher in my Double Battalions list, and I've been very happy with them. It provides a decent amount of utility that I can just. Dump on an objective in the mid-field and not worry too much about. The Power-Sword isn't the best use of the points, I'll admit, but I never run my Sgts without a melee weapon of some description and I'll be damned if I start doing that now.

The humble Tactical squad, easily overlooked, but better than ever before for Blood Angels.

As Xenith said, they have lots of options due to their variety of heavy and special weapons, but they’ll require a transport of some sort to reach their intended target, objectives and the troop units occupying them.

My standard load-out will be 2x5 with a heavy flamer, 1x5 with a plasma gun. Sergeants with CS and stormbolters, all in razorbacks.

Since those will be my main anti-infantry units, the RB will roll with TL AssCans, maybe one with a HB for points. Depends on the rest of the list.

Points drops, doctrines and Savage Echoes have elevated this cheap, scoring unit to something possibly fearful even at minimum squad size. And for running a cheeky objective grab they’re very good.

We’ve more reason than ever to take them, even with their Primaris counterparts lurking around.

Honestly just 5 dudes with a Lascannon is exceptional for the cost. A Missile Launcher is a great option for utility aswell with Doctrines boosting Krak and Frags AP to a respectable 3 and 1 each.

Getting a 2+ save in cover is what makes Tacs great so abuse it.

I do wonder if there is something in the Rhino Rush of old done like so:

Rhino, extra storm bolter

2x 5 Tacs with your choice of weapons (I like Flamer and Combi/ Power Weapon)

+Turn one go forward and pop smoke.

+Turn two either get out and unleash tactical doctrine hell or stay put safe inside your metal box.

+Turn three you'll be in position for an easy charge. Don't forget your boxes also soak overwatch.

This little chunk sets you back about 230 - 250pts depending on your chosen loadouts and I think really plugs into lists easily or could be taken multiple times to form a core.

I’m not going to be objective because tactical squads are my only troups choice right now. I play them in two way :

+ A 5 man squad with a heavy Bolter and a chainsword / Stormbolter sergent. They only cost 72pts and I use them to take objectifs that are on my table side but out of my deployment zone. With 3 shots, the heavy Bolter still has good chance to hit if the squad have moving and its range is good enough to shoot every turn even if the squad is away of battle. But now 5 intercessors with 5 bolt rifles cost only 13pts more and do the same job better… Maybe if the heavy bolter cost 5pts this tactical squad could be a good choice ?

+ A 5 man squad with Lascanon and a chainsword / Stormbolter sergent. A cheap way to ad some heavy weapon and covered more terrain with AT solutions. For me this squad is a safe bet.

I usually don’t play transport with my tactical squad, they come with their razorback but it’s more the heavy weapon platform of the squad than their transport.

Edited by Loishy

These days I tend to run them as five man units; I honestly don't recall the last time I ran a ten man Tactical Squad outside of the previous incarnation of Apocalypse.

In my 2k list, which is double Battalion, I run two five man squads with the upgrades being a plasma cannon in one and a lascannon in the other. The plasma cannon sits in my castle for re-rolls, what was "Objective Secured" on the castle's objective, and a final attack chance (I put a Company Ancient in my castle as I adore firing out of turn), whilst the lone lascannon goes elsewhere (flank, other objective) as a distraction tbh. It usually doesn't do anything of note because I can't roll well for single lascannons...

The reason they have these weapons is because I have two Devastator Squads with missile launchers and heavy bolters, hence the spread of weapons (I have lascannons elsewhere too).

One of my mounted lists runs a heavy flamer/combi-flamer (Land Raider) and another list uses plasma/combi-plasma too (Rhino/Razorback) I rarely move away from chainswords as the points for melee weapons are hovered up elsewhere but I would be up for changing things around depending on my list (i.e Drop Pods, Termites, Stormravens, etc) - certainly in theory having a Tactical Squad as a late game option to storm an objective isn't too shabby - trouble is, will your games go that far?

I think with the new Doctrines they have some good utility. I've been thinking about giving them missile launchers or heavy bolters to take advantage of the Devastator Doctrine on the first turn (and the stratagems later). They can be stationary or move out to objectives. Once turn 3 comes around, they have enough punch to be decent in combat. I think using 2-3 squads in support of other troops could be a good way to go. 

At the start of 8th I built a couple of grav cannons to put in Tactical squads as running the numbers made them seem ideal; the highest overall points efficiency against a range of targets and syncing with the 24" range of bolters. In practice a lone grav cannon has never really done much and with how easily old marines can go down I've had plenty of games where they've died on objectives before doing anything. As the most expensive heavy weapon I don't think I've ever gotten the benefit out of their cost.

I'd say I've found a small squad with Plasma and Combi-Plasma to be most effective over multiple games. The cost of those upgrades isn't too high if they get killed early and they can add a nice bit of damage.

A lone missile launcher in a squad sitting at the back has been hit and miss for me. You know a lone single shot will fail more often than it succeeds but when a hit does get through for a nice damage roll it's always fun. If there are a few points left to spend it's never felt a bad option, just not reliable.

My main reason for running Tacticals lately has been filling out 2x Batallions for the CP, and I don't have enough Intercessors for 6 slots. Tacticals don't have the same durability for midfield objective camping (Oh, you rolled 10 for a Smite? Goodbye squad.) but the weapon flexibility still makes them nice for adding extra long range heavy weapons here and there or going double-upgrade to play aggressively and try to put some damage in before they die.

I have only run 1 game with them since BoB came out but I definitely noticed that my Tactical squads seemed to have little more bite to them than previously. I normally just take 2, 1 with HB and 1 with ML to benefit from the respective stratagems.

Mobility (as always) is the issue. My Space Wolves have a pair of RBs to get my small Hunter packs about but I normally run my BAs as infantry only to deny my opponent good targets for AT weapons. I tend to rely on Jump Packs to get things about.

I am still undecided about their future at present as I am sorely tempted by a couple of units of Incursors to fulfil that mid-field role. Twice as many wounds and the ability to deploy out of my DZ is mighty tempting but at least I feel that Tacticals are no longer just a Troop tax.

I have only run 1 game with them since BoB came out but I definitely noticed that my Tactical squads seemed to have little more bite to them than previously. I normally just take 2, 1 with HB and 1 with ML to benefit from the respective stratagems.Mobility (as always) is the issue. My Space Wolves have a pair of RBs to get my small Hunter packs about but I normally run my BAs as infantry only to deny my opponent good targets for AT weapons. I tend to rely on Jump Packs to get things about.I am still undecided about their future at present as I am sorely tempted by a couple of units of Incursors to fulfil that mid-field role. Twice as many wounds and the ability to deploy out of my DZ is mighty tempting but at least I feel that Tacticals are no longer just a Troop tax.

The good thing about Tacs in Razorbacks is that the combo offers a heavy weapon to taste with whatever the squad brings. You get cover for your jumping marines and then score objectives, which offers great flexibility. I especially like the anti-infantry weapons which can clear screens for the turn 2 charge without having to waste a DC squad.

Personally tacticals with RB are my AT.

So I run 4 squads in my brigade with lascanons assisted by 2 RB with twin lascanons.

If I can't have 1 fire base, I'll split them so 1 group is babysat by a dread which can use the stratagem to give them a captain bubble and the other is babysat by my frugal captain smash.

I’ve got three in the army list I’ve written up in the list section, chainswords and stormbolters on the sergeants and a HB with each squad numbering six bodies. Can use the hellfire stratagem on any one of three squads, wherever I fell it would be best spent. Two RB in the list ferry two squad up the board, third squad stays back with intercession to give them a helping han.

• 9 months later...

After looking at some of the melee weapons and units with the new 9th Ed. changes I thought it was time to look at some ranged stuff, starting with classic heavy weapons - ie. those available to a Devastator/Tactical Marine. The new blast rule has made this interesting as I have to factor that in, which floods the target profiles when trying to include multiple target sizes for each.

I decided to focus on the T3 profile at both 11++ and 6-10, Sisters profile only at 6-10, the new base Marine statline at both 6-10 and <6 and everything tougher simply at unit sizes below 6 to not trigger blast. It's still a lot, but just about manageable.

To start with I ran the numbers for the firer being on the move, as that can often be the case with a tactical squad or even devastators depending on their placement/weapon range. As usual the numbers are based off the unit stats without any extra buffs, auras or stratagems applied. Points efficiency is calculated on the weapon cost on top of an 18pt Marine.

a9Qrhsw.png

And then standing still:

qYmWo3e.png

The main standout is the Multi-Melta as the new profile with 2 shots really lets it shine against anything with multiple wounds, especially when it's within half range. Great news for Attack Bikes, Land Speeders and M-M Devastators hopping out of a transport I'd say! The Lascannon and Missile Launcher with their single shots, lower AP and lack of half range damage bonus just can't compete with the Multi-Melta, their only advantage being extra range and trying not to move. (Note on the Missile Launcher: The charts use Frag against the weaker targets and Krak as soon as that becomes stronger against multi-wound targets).

The good old Heavy Flamer is the clear winner against the weaker single wound targets when looking at things on the move, but given its limited range and minimal impact against tougher targets is it really worth the points investment for an army likely to be full of bolters and chainswords? Othe rlonger range weapons close the gap if they don't need to move to hit the chaff (Plasma Cannons and Grav Cannons).

For all-round points efficiency the Grav Cannon has the highest combined output across all possible target types, with multiple shots helping against weak infantry and the extra damage kicking in against tougher targets. It's not going to be a tank buster but if you're facing a lot of the new Marines with their 2 wounds it could be really handy, solid against them and not too bad elsewhere.

Given the versatility of the Grav Cannon it raises the question of why use the Plasma Cannon, given the built in risk of exploding as soon as you overcharge. Similarly even with the new 2D profile I so no benefit to taking a Heavy Bolter instead of the grav either.

Short version:

Tank/Monster Hunting: Multi-Melta the clear winner

All-Round Versatility/Efficiency: Grav Cannon

Anti-Chaff: Potential niche for Heavy Flamer (but serious limitations outside of that role). Not as far ahead as the M-M is against big stuff.

Edit: An interesting final note is that there isn't much difference in the charts between damage output and points efficiency. Because the weapon points costs are now all so close together, the higher output weapons are also the most points efficient. We're no longer in a situation where these weapons are ranged 5-30 points in cost, allowing some with lower output to actually be more points efficient. Having them all within a range of 10-20 means the Multi-Melta with its huge damage is extremely points efficient and the Heavy Bolter is overpriced in comparison even with the bump to 2D.

Taken from the discussion topic here.