Unit of the Week: Death Company Intercessors

Jolemai

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still).

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Death Company Intercessors
sml_gallery_62972_11847_138131.jpg
DC Intercessors, Joeker

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use DC Intercessors?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices? How are you making use of the combat upgrades?
  • Are you getting the most out of the Auxiliary Grenade Launcher and/or the Black Rage special rule?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Nb: Please note that Death Company and Death Company Dreadnought will be covered in a separate entry

Edited by Jolemai

Oof alright here we finally are.

First of all, to get it out of the way, let me say that at the moment they are a waste of points. Barely an upgrade to regular Intercessors, not an upgrade at all compared to Veteran Intercessors, more expensive AND Elite so they require you to take another Troops choice to fill the slot they'd occupy as regular or Veteran Intercessors (aka even more expensive).

If they were a Troops choice or had the +1A on their base profile like regular Death Company have compared to Tacticals or if they had a 5+++ or if all of them could have taken a melee weapon they could have been an interesting choice but unfortunately we weren't this lucky.

For how to use them ... well give the not-Sergeant a fancy melee weapon, probably the hammer, and either have them hide in a Transport (Repulsor or Impulsor) until you have something in charge range or give them Auto Bolt Rifles and have them advance up the board while still shooting on a 4+.

Either the enemy ignores them because other things are more important or he shoots a unit that's basically just slightly better Intercessors and ignores your actually important units. If he shoots at them I guess you can go all in and use them as distraction carnifex and make them more difficult to remove than they should be by throwing Transhuman Physiology and Refusal to Die (5+++) on them. Also don't forget about Unbridled Ardour if there's a target within 6" at the end of the enemies charge phase.

Ive been running 2 units of 10 with hammers. They are a great unit. Far more survivable than the mini counterparts.

Forlorn turn 1, even if you dont make the charge the enemy has to deal with them. Casting shield on them, combined with trans human and a 5+++ means then enemy has to dedicate far too much to hurt them, putting the rest of your army in position for a massed charge turn 2.

At 1 point more than a normal intercessor they are well worth it.

I managed to pull off a 26 -14 win against triptide drone spam in my first game with them

Edited by Nemisor

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, DC Intercessors are interesting. As far as how to use them competitively... I'm not sure you can. The problem they have is that the things you need to do to them to make them useable would be better used on other things. Also they are limited in what they could have been. No additional base attack and no option to take a melee weapon on every man is disappointing to say the least.

If I were to take them, I would take a full 10-man squad with auto bolt rifles and a thunder hammer and march them up the board. With 40 melee attacks and 30 bolt rounds coming out of them your opponent will at the very least have to sit up and take notice of them, potentially giving you the chance to manoeuvre other, less durable, units into position while they absorb fire. Assuming at least some of them survive, they can charge on turn 2 alongside a unit of normal death company dropping down with Lemartes, giving everyone that sweet reroll charges and hits buff. Even if they die before they get to charge, they will at least have drawn fire away from other units.

• 1 year later...

Well what's the view with the new codex ?

Not much has changed really apart from the squad gaining some melee options. I think they are still primarily a fluffy unit. Competitively, regular Death Company are still superior, especially now that they also have 2 wounds which has closed the durability gap with their "big brothers".

I think DC Ints have some play. Take a unit of 5 with chainswords and one hammer/fist and put them in strategic reserves to come on in T3 and hit with 7 attacks each ... they’ll be a viable threat that your opponent will have to screen against and they can help score Direct Assault or Engage.

That is a good use for them - I tend to play at 1000-1500pts so having a unit off board until T3 I dont usually like. 

I think I'd prefer assault bolter DCI's with a THammer. If you have an impulsor, then 5DCI's with chainswords, then a hammer and plasma/hand flamer work well, otherwise leave them off board in Strat Res. 

If the app is correct and you can mix and match marine types between HBP+ACS or BR, does it improve them at all in peoples eyes? The app also seemed to let you have more than one special melee weapon.

For me, if those things are true, it improves them a fair chunk.

If the app is correct and you can mix and match marine types between HBP+ACS or BR, does it improve them at all in peoples eyes? The app also seemed to let you have more than one special melee weapon.

That would be a mistake in the app, I think - The original codex didn't allow this, and the recent FAQ to the codex still doesn't allow this. 

Unfortunately you can’t mix and match weapons. They might change it, though.

IF it was indeed possible to mix and match weapons, I honestly don't think it would change that much. Currently the shooty version is better because DC Intercessors are slow and that does not change with the weapon loadout.
Additional special CC weapon is definitely not possible due to wording in the current FAQ to our Codex Supplement, which starts with: "One model can...". So it's still one model per unit only.

IF it was indeed possible to mix and match weapons, I honestly don't think it would change that much. Currently the shooty version is better because DC Intercessors are slow and that does not change with the weapon loadout.

Additional special CC weapon is definitely not possible due to wording in the current FAQ to our Codex Supplement, which starts with: "One model can...". So it's still one model per unit only.

again, the app is meant to be usable in lieu of a codex, whilst I take your point, it's been like it for about a month so far and still allows the options both to mix and match weapon types and also to take a second special weapon. I concur the wording doesn't really match that in the book, however the book doesn't trump the app as you can use a list made on the app in tournaments and its legal. Remember, this is an official 100% GW app unlike something like battlescribe.

I'm guessing they'll fix the app and reduce options, but right now the app 100% allows it. I'd suggest people with the app test it and query it with GW so they can either fix the app or update errata for the main codex.

IMO, the ability to mix weapon options and take a second special weapon makes DC intercesors vaguely interesting as a choice which in and of itself is as good a reason as any for them to allow it.

Hmm... I get your point as well Blindhamster, but this creates a dangerous situation where people with the app have different rules than people with the book. If the book doesn't trump the app, then in fact the app trumps the book :P 

It's not for me to decide what can be used on the tournaments of course, but the rules are in the Codex, Supplement and FAQs. The app is not a source of rules, only a reflection. It is exactly the same as Battlescribe or any home-made spreadsheet in this regard. 

We can obviously argue the possibility of mix-matching of the DC loadout in the future based on the app, but the current rules are in the Codex, Supplement and FAQs.

DC Intercessors are fine if you plan to play a crusade campaign, or other narrative games, etc. As stated above, they’re inferior to DC marines in every way since they won’t reach a target to bring their extra attacks to bear if your opponent didn’t want them to.

Sure, you can spend a CP to put them in SR, or pay the points for an Impulsor, but that doesn’t make the unit good - it makes a struggling unit more expensive and therefore struggling even more.

They’re in the same spot as all primaris melee infantry. “Why bother” comes up every time you want to select any of them, because you need to invest more heavily in points to enable them to reach their target compared to the Firstborn with option for a JP. BGV might be an exception because they’re ridiculously tough and can actually survive walking up the board.

BGV might be an exception because they’re ridiculously tough and can actually survive walking up the board.

They also hit hard enough to be worth the points invested in an Impulsor if you go that route.

This brings to mind a small anecdote from my first game of 9th. 

My opponent was deploying infiltrators mid board as close as he could and into some terrain. On my deployment I thought it might be worth it to just set up my Repulsor across from those as close as I could. The Repulsor was transporting my BGV unit. At the time I imagined the BGV gaining the disembarkation + their movement right into a gloriously close charge on turn 1.  Being my first game of 9th and first game in nearly 2 years I thought it wasn't worth the risk, my friend also moved his unit further back. We were trying to have a good time and not go right for the jugular right out of the gate.  the funny bit is the Repulsor survived the game limping out on maybe 3 or 4 wounds at the end. 

I'm all for transports!  

Looking at the Combat Patrol box I turned my Intercessors into DC with assault bolters and a grenade launcher a starting cost then of 125, about the same as my Impulsor. 300 points for just that seems a little high to me.  I know the DC can take a pregame move, I wish it also applied to any transport they were riding in.