1500pts Word Bearers ZM

Deadass

Legion - Allegiance: Word Bearers - Traitor

Rite of War: Zone Mortalis Assault Force

HQs

• Delegatus: Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Thunder Hammer, Tainted Weapon, Meltabombs
  • Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Crozius (Power Maul), Bolt Pistol, Meltabombs

Troops

• Legion Tactical Squad: 10 men, Additional CCWs, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Meltabombs
  • Legion Tactical Squad: 10 men, Additional CCWs, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Meltabombs
  • Legion Terminator Squad: 5 men, Grenade Harness, Chainfist, 2x Power Fists, 2x Power Axes, 2x Combi-Plasmas, Plasma Blaster

Elites

• Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren: 5 men, Dark Martyr with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Meltabombs
  • Legion Dreadnought Talon: 1 model, Extra Armour, Armoured Ceramite, Flamestorm Cannon, Dreadnought Chainfist, Meltagun

Heavy Support

• Legion Heavy Support Squad: 5 men, Hardened Armour, Missile Launchers, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner and Meltabombs

Assuming Battlescribe is right (I still need to calculate the list by hand) this clocks in at 1499 points. I tried to go for something fluffy, something the Word Bearers might actually deploy if they boarded a ship. I thought the chaplain might go with the possessed and buff them while the Delegatus hangs out with the terminators or one of the tac squads.

I'd be gladto hear some feedback if there's an issue with the list!

I like this list as well!  Props to you for taking the flamestorm box-naught - it's a super fun choice in ZM.

I only have a couple of suggestions:

• For your chaplain, consider swapping out his crozius maul for a crozius axe - it's more useful in most situations and it's a relative easy conversion (depending on which model you're using).
  • For your terminators, consider taking at least one extra chainfist.  They are very useful in ZM (doors & dreadnoughts!) so having a little redundancy in that unit would be nice.
  • The heavy support squad - I take it you want these guys hanging back and shooting enemy armor/getting the shred benefit on their frag missiles?  ZM is pretty close confines so you probably won't be able to leverage their full range all that often.  You could consider a tactical support squad here all armed with meltas.  They are better at anti-armor (if shorter ranged) than the missiles and also score, so if you just end up holding them back all game they still can net you points.  This is more of a personal preference thing though!!

Rite of War: Zone Mortalis Assault Force

HQs

• Delegatus: Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Thunder Hammer, Tainted Weapon, Meltabombs
  • Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Crozius (Power Maul), Bolt Pistol, Meltabombs

Troops

• Legion Terminator Squad: 5 men, Grenade Harness, Chainfist, 2x Power Fists, 2x Power Axes, 2x Combi-Plasmas, Plasma Blaster

Half of the Zone Mortalis RoW is the bonus to breachers, and your legion rules work better with large squads. 2 min-sized tac squads makes no sense, both from a tactical and a fluff perspective (WB like big units).

The HQ's are great, delegatus is cheap way to get MotL, and the Chaplain is both fluffy and compulsory.

Elites

• Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren: 5 men, Dark Martyr with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Meltabombs
  • Legion Dreadnought Talon: 1 model, Extra Armour, Armoured Ceramite, Flamestorm Cannon, Dreadnought Chainfist, Meltagun

Heavy Support

• Legion Heavy Support Squad: 5 men, Hardened Armour, Missile Launchers, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner and Meltabombs

All of these are good choices: the Boxnought has that dreaded flamestorm cannon and can take armored ceramite (I think), the Gal Vorbak are always powerful, and the support squad has hardened armor. I think the hardened armor is paid in bulk, so check if it isn't more cost effective to just take a full-sized squad instead.

Edited by The Scorpion

I do think that the list looks reasonable. I might have a few suggestions but overall looks solid:

- Missile Launchers and ZM seems off. I'd rather swap them for a melta squad like dicebod said, though I recommend machine killers veterans with combis instead of support squad.

- Axe is usually a weapon of choice for Chaplain unless...

- You take Burning Lore and hope for Iron Arm in Biomancy. Yeah, that's not likely, better stay with Axe. But Burning Lore is interesting on its own, so if you find the points you could make a nice Chaplain-Librarian hybrid. If you could roll Endurance nothing will stop the Blessed Sons...

- While Rending is very cool, from my experience a single member of Gal Vorbak with an Axe can really dish out so much damage that it is easily worth extra 10pts.

Very insightful replies all around; thanks for the input. Looking at everything, I've altered the list as follows:

Legion - Allegiance: Word Bearers - Traitor

Rite of War: None

HQs

• Warmonger: Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Thunder Hammer, Tainted Weapon, Digital Lasers, Melta Bombs
  • Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Crozius (Power Maul), Boltgun, Volkite Serpenta, Melta Bombs

Troops

• Legion Tactical Squad: 15 men, Additional CCWs, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Melta Bombs
  • Legion Tactical Squad: 15 men, Additional CCWs, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Melta Bombs
  • Legion Support Squad: 9 men, Additional CCWs, Meltaguns, Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Heavy Chainsword and Melta Bombs

Elites

• Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren: 5 men, Power Axe, Dark Martyr with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Melta Bombs

As rule of cool will always beat effectiveness for me, there are some questionable equipment choices. The chaplain's maul stays as I have a nice bit for it in mind, and a number of spare points led me to make some other arbitrary choices that I'd enjoy building. I dropped the terminators, increased the size of the tac squads by five as The Scorpion is correct about the WBs favoring big squads and swapped out the missile launchers for the melta support squad mentioned by some of you. The possessed also got their extra power axe. Since that makes most of the Rite of War's benefits impotent, I dropped it altogether and upgraded my Delegatus into a much killier Warmonger.

I may still swap back to a Delegatus + RoW to bring combi-melta terminators instead of the support squad as I really like the unit, but I'm happy with this list for now.

Edited by AHorriblePerson

This is a cool list. Not taking a Rite of War is cool: it looks like a legion. The power maul choice is cool (making me feel guilty, currently building my chaplain with an axe). And we do not see enough heavy chainswords or non-Contemptor dreadnoughts, so that’s cool too. The only way this could be a tiny bit cooler is if the tactical squads were not exact copies of each other - maybe one could be despoilers? Or switch up sergeant’s equipment?

Despoiler squads could prove useful in the close confines of ZM.

I guess you've already got the extra CCW, so the question is, what to spend the extra points on, that's good in Zone Mortalis. I think that you'll find yourself powerfisting more than using those melta-bombs anyway, and as you said, there are a few other choices that weren't essential. Easy to scrape together enough for (say) a Rapier, but is that just an easy victory point for your opponent? You could easily have an apothecary, but that would dent the cool - because that's what everyone does.

Truth be told, ZM is the domain of Breachers.

People say they don't kill a lot of stuff, but they can be equipped with special weapons, melta bombs, and breaching charges.

Also, and beacause of their hardned armor & invuln saves (improved with the ZM RoW), they won't melt under templates like the flamestorm cannon.

They are the ideal scoring unit.

Edited by The Scorpion