Welcome to part five of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Relic Spartan Assault Tank
[captionright=Spartan, Aub Edited by Jolemai

An interesting unit. Almost double the points of 2 Land Raiders and similar firepower output. Less staying power as it's a single target, but can transport more, is not afraid of being locked in combat and is arguably better in combat.

If I were to commit 499pts (cause why wouldn't I take that SB?), I think I would load it up with something choppy - scouts (with some added Fists) or foot-slogging DC, drive up the board firing all guns and then charge something. Then withdraw from combat, shoot and charge again.
To pull this off, I'd have to ensure it's survival as much as possible: a 5++ from the Shield of Sanguinius or Deredeo pavise (and then probably the re-roll hit aura from said Deredeo or a Libby Dread/Mephiston) would seem like a must. Adding in a Techmarine might be viable as well. A +1 to-hit form a Chaplain would be a nice thing as well.

Obviously some other early threats on the board would be necessary - FF DC and scouts/Incursors. Also I think a Smash Captain would help both in terms of re-rolls and threat saturation.

So T1 - DC and infiltrating units attack, supported by a relocated chaplain, while Spartan moves up firing with support from the chosen dread(s) and Smash Captain

T2 - Smash Captain flies away to do his stuff alongside the chaplain and whats left of 1st wave. 

Spartan would charge in alongside it's cargo T2/T3

I wouldn't take it in games below 1600pts though and even then with the above strategy, I would be hard pressed to use up all it's transport capacity.

EDIT: I'd say quantity over quality in terms of it's shooting, so I'd go quad-las for the sponsons

Edited by Majkhel

Quad Las easily wins out over the laser destroyer, in my opinion. S12 is indeed very nice, but it's only going to improve wounding against T5/6, or T9+ (So, Titans maybe?), and going from 4 shots to 1 is a harsh trade off. AP-4 isn't that much better than AP-3, and the damage special rule isn't very reliable, given the significant drop in number of shots. The laser destroyer is better in a few enormously niche cases, whereas the lascannons are good in almost every case.

Take a heavy flamer on the pintle mount, just for overwatch hilarity.

I think it suffers from the same problem that a lot of heavy transports in the game suffer from: you're paying for transport capacity that you're not going to use. A Spartan Assault Tank is already a massive fire magnet. Putting a dangerous unit in there will only make your opponent more determined to bring it down, and with the way the game is these days make no mistake; they will bring it down. Even with T8, 2+ save and 20 wounds I can think of no end of things that can and will pulverise a Spartan in one turn. 

With this in mind, I would run it empty and spread out my assets. You're paying a premium for unused transport capacity, but I'd rather that than put too many eggs in one basket. Given that it has POTMS, I would endeavour to deploy it out of sight and move it into position once the game starts to negate the possibility of my opponent shooting it to death on turn one. Screening units would also be essential to protect it from any potential turn one charges. This ought to ensure that it gets off at least one volley before being destroyed.

Other offensive threats would be essential. Slamguinius would be a must, preferably two of him, as well as Mephiston and some Scouts/Incursors. This, combined with the lack of units inside the Spartan, ought to provide my opponent with more immediate threats and draw fire away from the big tank. 

Weapons-wise definitely the quad-las. Just more reliable than the laser destroyers, no matter how cool they may be.

Ultimately, I think the Spartan's high point cost and relative fragility severely hamper it, but if I were to use it, that's how.

. A Spartan Assault Tank is already a massive fire magnet. Putting a dangerous unit in there will only make your opponent more determined to bring it down, 

2x 5 Scouts with BP, CCW, Powerfist+chainsword. 128pts. Charge turn 3 for 44 normal + 8 powerfist attacks. 

You can even double the number of scouts for a horrendous amount of attacks. 

Agree that quantity over quality regarding the lascannons. The laser destroyer is nice to completely ignore an armour save, but it's more likely to go wrong, and I think 8 lascannons have more potential damagae, which is what counts.