Welcome to part five of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Mortis Dreadnought

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Mortis Dreadnought (found in Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astertes)?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units? Delivery method?
  • What weapon options are you taking?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?
  • Over to you.

I run my Rifleman as a Mortis. A Mortis is Heavy Support rather than Elites, a whopping six points cheaper in this configuration, and not a Legends selection. I tend to plonk it by my firebase and have used it as a target for Wisdom of the Ancients (in tandem with a Lieutenant) before now. I find it to be a lesser target when there are bigger things on the field but at the end of the day, it's just a Dreadnought and will die if someone wants it to.

Given it has the same weapons options, I don't think I've ever split it's fire.

I have two sets of Mortis dreadnought lascannon right arms. I plan on using one for my DA and one for my BA. The build really appeals to me. A las Mortis dreadnought has the same anti tank potential as a las predator without the degrading stat line. Admittedly it’s not as mobile, but that’s a trade off I’m willing to make.

I think this is a good fire support unit. I would take Lascannons for tank-busting or Autcannons for that 2D Ap-1 sweetspot. Not durable as others have mentioned but as the classic boxnaught is not a particularly big target, you can hide it out of LOS and then move it into the open with "Big Guns Never Tire" if you don't get T1.

Mortis Weapons have Arrived! I have Double Assault Cannons and Double Volkite for Horus Heresy.

FYI the holes were very tight for a Dry Fit, I will be Magnetizing them so it won't be an issue.

97878074_2659198304336684_19207123082338

Very nice. How do the points cost of the dual Assault Cannon version compare to a Dakka Retributor? It has fewer wounds and no melee capability but does not degrade so I would be interested to see how they both tip the scales.

Ooph, those MK IV bodies are nice, wish i picked one up when they were still in production. Also looks good with 2xAC's.

Venerable dreads are MkIV too, and still available.

Mortis Weapons have Arrived! I have Double Assault Cannons and Double Volkite for Horus Heresy.

FYI the holes were very tight for a Dry Fit, I will be Magnetizing them so it won't be an issue.

Very nice. How do the points cost of the dual Assault Cannon version compare to a Dakka Retributor? It has fewer wounds and no melee capability but does not degrade so I would be interested to see how they both tip the scales.

Dual AC Mortis is 104 all in. and 12 AC Shots.

Dakka Redeptor is 155 in dakka mode no pod. and is 18 OC shots and 4 storm bolt shots

I feel like the Mortis is less threatening and will likely be ignored, but sitting there putting shots in not degrading and if placed correctly also befitting from cover.

For Comparison as well the Tarantula with twin AC is 64 all in, but is BS 4+ and easy to kill.

Dual AC Mortis is 104 all in. and 12 AC Shots.

Dakka Redeptor is 155 in dakka mode no pod. and is 18 OC shots and 4 storm bolt shots

I feel like the Mortis is less threatening and will likely be ignored, but sitting there putting shots in not degrading and if placed correctly also befitting from cover.

For Comparison as well the Tarantula with twin AC is 64 all in, but is BS 4+ and easy to kill.

Plus the assault cannon Mortis looks boss. Checked out that PopGoesTheMonkey site, and they’ve got both left and right side multi meltas too. Very cool. Even though it’s suboptimal, MM and dreadnought close combat weapon was the default setup for a BA dreadnought in 2nd edition before Furiosos became a thing in 3rd, so I’m excited to run that loadout for nostalgia’s sake.