Welcome to part five of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Relic Whirlwind Scorpius

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Scorpius Whirlwind (found in Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astertes)?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • What optional weapons choices are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how? Best way to buff Rocket Barrage?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Please note that the Whirlwind and Whirlwind Hyperios will be discussed elsewhere.

This thing is a Primaris infantry-equivalent killer. Simply murderous against elite 2W infatry like our SG or Terminators or Centurions

Being less than 2x cost of 2 standard Whirlwinds, it easily does better job than them when stationary

Park behind LoS-blocking cover and fire away abusing the Rocket Barrage rule.

I’ve been on the receiving end of this (used by an Iron Hands player) many times and as @Majkhel says above, it can be a tough cookie to face. It’s one of those units whose performance belies it’s Datasheet. The ability to hide behind LoS-blocking terrain and whittle away at elite infantry is what really makes its value.

I have one of these (no picture though, it's only battle ready!) and I kinda feel like it underwhelmed in 8th - well, compared to the fanfare it had from the internet - so I haven't used it a great deal. Towards the start of 8th I had a fairly successful game with it against Knights where it would knock off eight wounds a turn (D2 is delicious) but in other games a mere four wounds. It's one of those that depends on your meta and she sadly has a high price point (I currently don't know what this is in 9th).

I think I'll give her a run out in 9th, certainly. Deploy out of line of sight, use rocket barrage on either the same or different targets, take a storm bolter for "just in case" (a hard habit to get out of when you cut your teeth on weapon destroyed results).

The "Relic tax" is allegedly still in the game meaning we'll need a babysitter in the Elites category. This is a double-edged sword in that while taking another shouldn't be a problem, the Battlefield Role fills up very quickly and at the start of 9th it's 3CP to find more room. So again, it depends on how you play. The Relic of Ancient Glory stratagem is an emergency bonus (2CP, everything within 6" can re-roll their first failed To Hit in the fight phase) in that if we have to use it with this model then we've done something wrong...