Welcome to part four of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Librarian on Bike

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use the Librarian on Bike datasheet found in Warhammer Legends: Blood Angels?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • What units (if any) will you be babysitting?
  • What additional weapons are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • What psychic powers are you taking?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how? Suitable for Warlord duties?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Please note that Librarian, Librarian Dreadnought, Librarian in Phobos Armour, Librarian in Terminator Armour, and Primaris Librarian should be discussed elsewhere.

Keep your eyes on the road!

Not safe to read while driving!

Hidden Content

8fdcede090cdb3d5a4146c1aa0922bec.jpg

Similar tactics to a Jump Librarian: either use the mobility of the bike/jump pack to further enhance movement (14"+12" !) or to make it so you can still get places and not have to rely on Wings of Sanguinius for mobility. 

Misses out on Upon Wings of Fire and the ability to "hop" over front units to attack units behind them and Deep Striking, but is a bit more defensive (T5) as a tradeoff. Complements some army builds (footsloggers or other bikes) well, though like many non-Jump Pack units misses out on some of the unique flavor of BA as a result. 

Rule of Cool for modeling opportunities! 

Forgot where I posted it, but this unit can be fun.

As it's legends, take a libby on bike, with storm bolter/combi flamer and power axe, then wings and whatever power you like.

Now your bike can move 14" then ghost rider another 12" over opposing troops to get next to enemy characters, then can unload with 8 storm bolter shots, or 8 bolter shots and D6 flamer shots, then charge whats left. 

Add the artificer armour wargear for extra fun.

I've been running one of these at 1500 in 8th and once so far in 9th (only battle ready so no photo!).

He accompanies a large block of bikes as a support character - I modelled him with a staff and every so often I use the Galian's staff relic (which pays off occasionally). I went through a phase of taking Unleash Rage and Shield of Sanguinius, but I need to learn that my Bikes are never as good in combat as I think they will be... Last game out I switched Rage out for Blood Boil as I hoped for some more mortal wounds against Death Guard...

Often takes a bolter for those delicious six shots as I haven't gotten anything else modelled. So yeah, I'm trying to use my bikes like horse archers (or light cavalry in WHFB) and the Librarian is to fit that role. Maybe I should look into being more aggressive instead.