+++ STRUCTURAL CHANGES +++

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve usability of the site, we've made some small structural changes based on some analysis of site usage.

First, the ORDO ADMINISTRATUM category, which includes forums such as the FORUM RULES, BUG REPORTS, and SUGGESTION BOX, has been moved to the very bottom of the site.

The OTHER GAMES and SPECIAL PROJECTS forums and their sub-forums have been moved out of the FRATER DOMUS category, becoming their own categories at the bottom of the main page. The SPECIAL PROJECTS category is second from the bottom, immediately above the ORDO ADMINISTRATUM. The OTHER GAMES category is immediately below THE HORUS HERESY category (which is technically an "other" game, too). For now, the OTHER GAMES and SPECIAL PROJECTS categories have preserved their structure of a single main forum with multiple sub-forums. That may change in the future.

In addition, the STRATEGIUM category, which includes forums such as the ARMY LIST REVIEW forum and its sub-forums, TACTICA, and HOMEGROWN RULES forums has been moved up immediately above THE HORUS HERESY category.

These changes accomplish two things:

• Reduce vertical scrolling to get to our most popular categories/forums. Analytics indicate that the News, Rumors, and Board Announcements forum; the FORGE category, and the ADEPTUS ASTARTES category are the three most popular and active sections of the site, so relocating some of the forum content above them makes it quicker for the majority of our users to get where they want to be faster. The areas we've chosen to move are important, but see far less usage than the other three areas.
  • Improve overall organization of the site. The top categories of the B&C now cover the main Warhammer 40,000 game, which has just entered its 9th edition. All of the other games set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe are covered, but they have been consolidated below the main portion of the site.
Further structural changes may happen as we progress into 9th edition and as we explore areas of improvement in the preparation for the server migration and software upgrade (within the year, or, as the meme goes, SoonTM).

There wouldn't be much point in having an Adeptus Astartes category then, as it would just have the SM entry and the GK entry.

I find it being split it out is much more convenient, although if they wanted to merge them maybe sticking BA/SW/DA/DW as one category separate, so there's at least some sort of categorization beyond a massive list.

I find when I look at the current Codex: SM subcategories, it already is a bit too long for convenient accessibility, especially because it both vertically and horizontally lays them out.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

technically, with all marines being supplements now, would it maybe make sense to move BA, SW, DA, DW under the space marines category like the other chapters?

Honestly I think the opposite would almost be more beneficial, dividing along supplement lines as most of the supplements play so differently from one another.

The potential impacts of rolling the majority of Chapters into Codex: Space Marines is something that we have been discussing.

Further structural changes may happen as we progress into 9th edition and as we explore areas of improvement in the preparation for the server migration and software upgrade (within the year, or, as the meme goes, SoonTM).

...now i've got to readjust my bolter and chainsword muscle memory...

Worst. Update. Ever. 

However on a serious note:

It does make more sense. If there is high traffic to certain areas don't want people to have to struggle for it however I always felt the rules at the top was important as a sort of "reminder". Might just be me, then again I suppose the mods are at the ready with their "reminders" :D

...I always felt the rules at the top was important as a sort of "reminder". Might just be me, then again I suppose the mods are at the ready with their "reminders" :biggrin.:

For what it's worth, that issue came up among the staff when we were discussing this change. And as I pointed out...

gallery_26_548_121669.png

Also, we'll be adding a tab link to the forum rules at the top, along with the FORUMS, MEMBERS, etc. links.

...I always felt the rules at the top was important as a sort of "reminder". Might just be me, then again I suppose the mods are at the ready with their "reminders" :biggrin.:

For what it's worth, that issue came up among the staff when we were discussing this change. And as I pointed out...

Also, we'll be adding a tab link to the forum rules at the top, along with the FORUMS, MEMBERS, etc. links.

Users of the mobile theme don't see that button. If your final sentence means it appears in the 'four squares' menu then great.

I don't mind either way but this kind of thing brings out the pedant in me.

technically, with all marines being supplements now, would it maybe make sense to move BA, SW, DA, DW under the space marines category like the other chapters?

They did it when BT got rolled into the codex so its only fair they get the same treatment. Its either that or give us our own subforum again.

One minor quibble:

I feel that the Age of Darkness and Other Games sections should be above the Strategium section

Also yes, muscle memory is going to be annoying to adjust to now :laugh.:

I was just about to post the same thing. Age of darkness should be above straegium for sure. 

...perhaps your not getting the traffic you think your getting ….:blush.: ….. :sweat:

Mithril

One minor quibble:

I feel that the Age of Darkness and Other Games sections should be above the Strategium section

Also yes, muscle memory is going to be annoying to adjust to now :laugh.:

I was just about to post the same thing. Age of darkness should be above straegium for sure. 

...perhaps your not getting the traffic you think your getting ….:blush.: ….. :sweat:

Mithril

lol more new posts in just the basic AoD forum than just the bat reps or tactica ones mate.