Unit of the Week: Bladeguard Veteran Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Bladeguard Veteran Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Bladeguards?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit? What is your sergeant using?
  • What weapon choice do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

MC Power swords + Red Thirst is almost ridiculously good. You will be killing normal Marines on a 2+ and even wounding Knights on a 4+. Their 2+/4++ save makes them pretty durable too and a good candidate to accompany a Sanguinary Priest although lacking a Primaris version he would not be able to share their ride.

I don't think 3 is a big enough squad. I would probably look to run 5 + a character in an Impulsor. With only 3, any casualties will impair their killyness and render them unable to screen accompanying characters. A Justicar is probably the best fit in the Impulsor. If you want other characters, I would be tempted to get Firstborn versions with Jump Packs to keep up. The new Primaris Chaplain on a bike would be a tasty alternative. Litany of Hate to reroll all those Sword attacks would be nice.

A Libby probably wouldn't be the best pick until we get a Sanguinary discipline back again (Unleash Rage would be great on these guys).

Some people might see competition with our Jump Assault units like DC or VV but especially SG with whom they have a lot in common. I actually see Bladeguard in more of an anvil role. They can take and hold Objectives against most threats, especially with a Judiciar around. Our jump assault units can then focus on moving forwards quickly to clear enemy held Objectives. Bladeguard and the anvil to the Sanguinary Guard's hammer.

I ran three in an RTT a few weeks ago and used them as my backfield objective campers. That sort of feels like a waste, but I was confident they could hold their own with no babysitting, and that theory proved accurate. My opponents either didn't bother to shoot at them or bounced off of them when they tried. A 10 girl unit of Zephyrim failed to even dent them and then got obliterated in return. They also held their own against some Deathshroud Terminators until Mortarion got involved.

When I manage to grab a few more they'll likely take on a bit more of an offensive role, most likely camping in the middle for the sake of scoring Oaths of Moment.

They're certainly capable filling in the offensive/aggressive role in the place of SG if you're not afraid to spam three 5+ man units, but I'm unlikely to ever own that many. Additionally, keeping them at five rather than six for the sake of cheaper Transhuman feels like a good decision.

Additionally, keeping them at five rather than six for the sake of cheaper Transhuman feels like a good decision.

Keeping them at 5 also means they don't trigger Blast weapons. No need to unnecessarily guarantee your opponents a minimum 3 shots when they shoot certain weapons at them.

The idea of using them as Backfield Objective campers is interesting. I suppose a 3-man squad is about the same cost as a Tac squad + heavy weapon but far more durable. The only downside is that they cannot contribute much at range. I suppose there is something to be said for simple denial.

"This is my NOPE squad." :biggrin.:

I've not really paid much attention to what exactly they can do as our lockdown means the Blood Angels supplement will be out before I get any games in, but I picture these guys playing the same role as my Assault Terminators have historically, so depending on opponent/mission they'd either team up with a squad of assault intercessors to lock down/kill the units chainswords don;'t cut it against or be in a impulsor as a reserve to go to wherever my opponent drops something in.

Bladeguard