Unit of the Week: Bladeguard Ancient

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Bladeguard Ancient

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Bladeguard Ancient?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it be babysitting anything?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

So... everyone who bought the Indomitus box has one of these, but no one is willing to share how they use it on the battlefield? I suppose we just use it like any other foot Ancient for the purpose of the Astartes Banner, but keep it in range of Bladeguard if using them to sit on home objectives?

I haven't used mine yet.

My concern is that it has no melee weapon to benefit from the nice statline, and its unique buff only affects one unit which isn't ideal if they get killed as he's then just a basic Ancient when supporting others. I tend to prefer more universal buffers, and no jump pack is another concern for me with a pure support unit.

Edited by Thoridon

So... everyone who bought the Indomitus box has one of these, but no one is willing to share how they use it on the battlefield? I suppose we just use it like any other foot Ancient for the purpose of the Astartes Banner, but keep it in range of Bladeguard if using them to sit on home objectives?

Yea - didn’t want to chime in but the chief problem is that he only has a pistol. While his buff IS good, especially if you run lots of BG, he just doesn’t justify the price tag. For the same price the judiciar offers a strategy changing effect. Just hard to justify him as is - if he came with a master crafted power sword though...

Perhaps he will be a bit more useful when the multipart BGVs come out. Right now, all most players have a 3-man squad. Because his main buff is specific to a single type of unit, he is the sort of character that needs to be built around to get mileage out of and this limits his usefulness.

Having said that BGVs are very nice in a BA army as MC Powers swords work really well with Red Thirst. Having them hit on 2s and kill MEQs on a 2+ (and even wound Knights on a 4+) is not too shabby.