Unit of the Week: Firestrike Servo-turrets

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Firestrike Servo-turrets
sml_gallery_62972_11847_69466.jpg
Firestrike Servo-turrets, Majkhel

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Firestrike?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running them as a squad of one, two, or three? What about multiple units?
  • How are you buffing this unit? What weapon choice is your preference?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

I really, REALLY want to love this thing. Haven't tried it yet, but an immobile firing platform that needs LOS seems iffy in a world of Obscuring terrain. BUT, it is pretty efficient in firepower, with 2+ to hit and some decent guns. 

Obviously it sure doesn't FEEL Blood Angels, as even with Blood Angels being fine with some support shooting, an immobile gun platform is far from the winged melee blenders the chapter is known for. That said, I still want to use it, as even though I have chosen Blood Angels as my progenitors of choice, a piece of my heart will always go to the Imperials Fists and their epic siege warfare. 

Has anyone tried a 50/50 split on hardcore gunline and hardcore melee blender? Could be fun to see, Firestrike turrets, Heavy Intecessors, and Devastators backed up by Jump Pack and Drop Pod butchers dropping in from on high. 

Those are not immobile - they have a 3" movement which may be just enough to gain an angle if denied it from the start.

That is fair! I should be careful not to exaggerate. Point does still stand, but yeah, a few inches has made the difference in a clear shot and not. 

It's certainly solid firepower. I think the Autocannons aren't that great (only AP-1), but four lascannon shots for 130pts is alright. It's not CORE, but that could also be seen as a bonus of not needing babysitting and 2+ BS is great anyway.

Taking a squad is probably a good idea, its a very concentrated amount of Lascannon! It will no doubt attract some firepower though.

Seems like a good choice for babysitting objectives in your deployment zone. Especially if you can position it to have LOS to a midfield objective so it can help clear/cover it. I think it's a solid option if you plan on having using a shooting firebase alongside more mobile elements. 

Personally, I love the model, but it's low on my buying priority. The other new stuff just appeals to me more for BA. 

Problem with babysitting an objective is that Las-Talons are only 24". Unless you expect to see an armour moving your way (dreads-equivalents, transports?), autocanons seem cheaper, more versatile and have range to touch enemy units T1.

It's all about area denial though - so I'd play them like I would a warmachine in Fantasy or a Tarantula for us. Basically, plonk them down first during deployment along the best fire lanes. People will deploy accordingly to avoid them.