Unit of the Week: Eradicator Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Eradicator Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_3957.jpg
Eradicator Squad, Cleon

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Eradicators?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit? How are you make use of Total Obliteration?
  • What wargear options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

Eradicators seem pretty self-explanatory to use. A squad of 3 in Tactical Reserve will usually do good work. By coming on T2 or T3, you have a good chance to kill any screening squads and bring them on in range of a decent target. Obviously they are best when fighting vehicles or monster but with the potential to fire 2 shots each, they are still decent when firing at elite infantry. Once they have killed something, they are durable enough to hold an Objective in the endgame at a pinch. They are not tough enough to withstand serious retaliation so in many cases they will come on, kill/maim an important target and then get blown away. At only 120 points each, this is not the end of the world. They may even distract attention from you more mobile assault orientated elements.

I am not sure I would use more than 1 squad in normal sized games as I think they would begin to suffer diminishing returns. I would rather back them up with some more mobile firepower such as MM attack bikes or Plasmaceptors.

One thing I have not decided on yet is armament. The Indomitus models are obviously meant to represent standard melta rifles but the Heavy melta rifle looks interesting too. Accepting the penalty of being Heavy in return for D6+4 damage at close range might be worth it, especially if you have a Chapter Master nearby to give them full rerolls to-Hit.

Edited by Karhedron

I’d equp with heavy melta rifles to get the D6+2 damage outside of half range, and perhaps a MM, although the latter is debatable. I would definitely field two squads of three, and never a full six man squad. I feel the Total Oblteration rule may be overkill against some targets with six men, and two squads of three men could fire a two targets and still use Total Obliterarion, which is not possible at six men. Food for though, I’d be curious what others have to say.

Edit: the other thing to consider is that a full squad of six means that weapons with the Blast rule get to take three shots instead of being random, something two squads of three do not have to worry about.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

very good points above, here are my ramblings:

Movement. With objectives set in center table, 5" movement isn't necessarily terrible, especially if using reserves. They can have assault meltas, so advancing might be ok. Deploying up front could be a problem if you get charged (they aren't so hot in assault), and deploying too far in the rear could waste turns while you get into range.

Board control. Certainly an imperial knight player will think twice before running straight up the middle of the table. 24" range + 5" move (possibly advancing) substantially pushes the enemy backwards or into cover (sub-optimal positions). 

Durability. 3 wounds at toughness 5 and a 3+ save is reasonable durability. Intuitively, it seems a 3 wound model is more likely to function at less than full wounds, at least as in comparison to 2 wound models. This seems to make them a good candidate to have an apothecary/sanguinary priest nearby. Though, I'm not sure huge amounts of support or taking 3 of these squads is necessary or proficient. 

Synergy. Something like a librarian casting nullzone to remove invuln saves, paired with high damage weapons like melta here might be viable as high priority targets often have an invuln. I like eradicators also as a redundancy measure (plan A on eliminating big threats might be a captain or death company, or whatever, but lists don't function all that well without a plan B). 

Shooting. So long as they don't advance they can use the double shot ability. That's their real ability to shine. Don't get me wrong, D6+2 damage at half range is very good, but they certainly don't turn into muppets at full range. D6 damage at full range is still lascannon damage comparable. In another way, I don't really need to spend huge amounts of points to get this unit functional (captains/LT's are nice, but not needed). That it can function on its own is a huge deal. It's also cool, that they are still fairly efficient at targeting elite infantry, and aren't relegated to a single type of unit your opponent might not even have.

Counterplay. What if I can't shoot turn 1? I think eradicators as your only anti-tank/monster might be an error. If the enemy has well-protected long range, non-line-of-sight firepower walking up the board to get a shot turn 2 or 3 could be too late. Coming in from reserves could also be blocked by enemy units. Part of the reason an impulsor with a shield dome (5+ invuln) is part of my lists right now is because of scary threats like these--not that an impulsor would survive a go with eradicators, but my cargo needs extra protection.

Part of the reason an impulsor with a shield dome (5+ invuln) is part of my lists right now is because of scary threats like these--not that an impulsor would survive a go with eradicators, but my cargo needs extra protection.

3 Eradicators firing on a Domed Impulsor from within 12" will deal 10 wounds on average so unless you are unlucky, your Impulsor should survive.

Just! :wink:

I’ve run them 1x3 and 1x6 and reserve them. I “support” them with a drop pod of devs with MMs. So T1, the pod comes down and takes a lot of attention. T2, they come in and totally obliterate stuff and sit their t5, 3W selves on an objective and say come at me bro. I’ve occasionally started them on the table and used our +1 to advance to our advantage to move up the board with them and still get shots off. That also takes people off guard