Unit of the Week: Invader ATV Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Invader ATV Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_57204.jpg
Invader ATV, Majkhel

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use an Invader ATV Squad?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running them solo, or in twos or threes? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • How would you make use of Turbo Boost?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Edited by Jolemai

Fast and Multi-Melta.

MM variant is 30pts more than an equivalent Attack bike, for which you get double the number of wounds and melee attacks (:D). 2 more bolter shots too. Additionally - bigger footprint and no CORE keyword.
They are a nasty toy especially with the now infamous combo of max unit size and Chief Apothecary being able to resurrect a fully healed 8W model.
A fun unit to play, bordering on OP in bigger quantities with said Chief Apothecary combo. Especially in low points games.
Haven't tried the dakka version yet, but it somehow seems less appealing for me, despite the brrrrrrrrt-factor. 8 shots are nothing to sniff at though

Also managed to post the picture in the PO thread :)

The Apothecary abuse is irritating but I'm more bothered that a 3 model unit of them can have Transhuman for 1 CP. 18 wounds to go through only wounding on 4s is stupid. I've played against a trio of Salamander melta buggies more times than I care to think about. The only effective answer to them is to tie them up in close combat.

Good spot. I had somehow failed to clock the THP potential. Mind you, most heavy weapons wound ATVs on a 3+ so going to a 4+ is less benefit than something like Bladeguard going from a 2+ to a 4+.

Still a good buff for them though. I think they can also use the "Skilled Rider" stratagem to give them -1 to-Hit against incoming fire.

Darnit, I had almost succeeded in convincing myself I didn't need any. :biggrin.:

Good spot. I had somehow failed to clock the THP potential. Mind you, most heavy weapons wound ATVs on a 3+ so going to a 4+ is less benefit than something like Bladeguard going from a 2+ to a 4+.

Still a good buff for them though. I think they can also use the "Skilled Rider" stratagem to give them -1 to-Hit against incoming fire.

Darnit, I had almost succeeded in convincing myself I didn't need any. :biggrin.:

They're solid for sure (and frankly undercosted unless they resolves the Apothecary and Transhuman interaction issues). They are not quite the rockstar unit for BA that they are for chapters like Scars or Salamanders but they're a very viable way to get some ranged anti tank in a BA list.

Key points:

#1 Their biggest weakness is tying them in close combat which hobbles them (unless they're Scars or DA). BAs fighting strength will help here somewhat.

#2. Don't be in a hurry to rush them into half range. After 3 games my salamanders friend was getting disappointed with them but I pointed out to him he kept rushing them turn 1 which let me tie them up after one go of shooting. They have the durability to standoff and shoot. Yes you loose the +2 damage but one turn of +2 isn't always worth the same as two or three turns of uninterrupted shooting.

Good points. Being BA can help somewhat in melee. They have a solid 4 attacks at WS3+, nothing great but a squad could put dish out some damage if your opponent is throwing a cheap unit at them to tie them up.

It might be worth it to run them with Outriders as a screen to deal with any melee threats. That actually sounds like a pretty good mobile hammer.

I'd go so far as to say that the infamous atv combo should be your anvil generally. It will be incredibly difficult to both concentrate on them and deal with flankers/assaults. It's spendy but truth be told really valuable for what it brings. 

Imagine pushing this combo (Priest + 3x ATV w/ THP) mid field while your assault elements pincer up the sides of the board. You have your shooting elements gradually move up field while your opponent is absolutely doing everything to remove both a very difficult unit plus assaults. Meanwhile the noose starts to close in as the main army comes up behind the frontal assault.

Edited by Spagunk

I've been running a unit of two with multimeltas, they're totally worth their points. If the revival is nerfed to say a max of four wounds on revival, I would still use them. In fact the revival option is just a bonus for a unit that performs really well for BA.

I use mine as fire support, holding the centre for oaths if necessary, as a tempting distraction, dashing forward onto opponents DZ objectives to help with weight of numbers and use that AP and A in assault doctrine. If the opponent does kill them, it doesn't take anything from my army as a whole. In fact I'm happy if he is targeting the ATVs and not other things

With how large they are it feels a shame they aren't vehicles, though as others have pointed out this is probably more of a blessing than curse.

In assault Doctrine each ATV pumps out 6 S4 AP-1 D1 attacks with +1 to wound so against hordes probably isn't the worst option for sure! Sadly they aren't [CORE] but that just means they tend to operate independently.

As a mobile source of Melta Delivery there isn't much that can contend with them and I think even the Gattling option has a place, with its 14 Troops-shredding shots at effective 38" range (plus that option looks hella cool).

With the models being pretty big a squad of three can be a relatively cheap speed bump with Transhuman applied for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Different people may mean slightly different things but typically a hammer unit is one with high speed and high offensive output. It is used aggressively to take the fight to the enemy. Death Company, Sanguinary Guard and Vanguard Veterans can all fill the role of a hammer unit in our army.

An anvil unit emphasizes durability (although that does not preclude speed or offense). They are units that can hold an objective or anchor your line and which require disproportionate effort on your opponent's part to shift. A squad of 3 ATVs has 24 T5 wounds to chew through. When backed up by an Apothecary, they can certainly fulfil the role of an anvil unit.

There is no absolute list of which units are hammers or anvils. Certain units may lend themselves better to one role or the other. Creative players may find ways to use a unit effectively on a role that may not appear obvious at first glance. ATVs combine speed, durability and offensive output making them pretty flexible.

Different people may mean slightly different things but typically a hammer unit is one with high speed and high offensive output. It is used aggressively to take the fight to the enemy. Death Company, Sanguinary Guard and Vanguard Veterans can all fill the role of a hammer unit in our army.

An anvil unit emphasizes durability (although that does not preclude speed or offense). They are units that can hold an objective or anchor your line and which require disproportionate effort on your opponent's part to shift. A squad of 3 ATVs has 24 T5 wounds to chew through. When backed up by an Apothecary, they can certainly fulfil the role of an anvil unit.

There is no absolute list of which units are hammers or anvils. Certain units may lend themselves better to one role or the other. Creative players may find ways to use a unit effectively on a role that may not appear obvious at first glance. ATVs combine speed, durability and offensive output making them pretty flexible.

@sanguiniusJr It's this. My idea is that by rezzing those atv's and capitalizing on how many wounds it has you will have a lot of fire focused on them with no guarantee of eliminating the squad. So they beat against an "anvil" which won't give up easily or get removed without a lot of work. Meanwhile the rest of your army can focus on maneuvering into choice positions, either to lay down your own fire or allow assault elements to engage when you want them to.

Step 1.

Take 3 in a squad, send chief apothecary with a pack with them to the center of the board.

Step 2.

Take Oath of Moment secondary, preferably on a map with a central objective

Sit them there blocking access to the middle objective whole game.

Step 3.

Be a T5 24 wound 3+ 6+++ wall of biker spitting out 6 mm shots and 18 bolter shots a turn, that will punch chaff to death, can fall back and shoot for 1cp, and can regen up to 11 wounds per turn from the priest

Season with a librarian for shield/psychic fortress for a 5+++ for extra salt.

Step 4.

Profit, by scoring minimum 5 primary and 2 from oaths every turn unless the opponent either gets obsec units behind them or spends inordinate fire killing them.

Their only weakness is not being core, so no rerolls; send your captain elsewhere.

Secondary use, a tough mobile distraction that's good for getting EOAF or other such board related secondaries and can be used to tie up other shooty units as its durable enough to face-tank overwatch, and cheap enough you don't mind it either being stuck in combat (or paying 1 cp to fall back and shoot) if the opponent chooses to stay locked or force someone to fall back and give up shooting.

Aka bigger attack bike.

• 3 weeks later...