Unit of the Week: Hammerfall Bunker

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Hammerfall Bunker

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Bunker?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What Wargear Options are you choosing?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

This unit was a big swing and miss from GW. Enormous size makes it difficult, sometimes outright impossible, to place in your DZ legally, and it can’t deep-strike or forward deploy despite the lore suggesting that it can. Its weapons are fine, but in no way good enough to justify bringing it.

I'm 50/50 between how I think I would use these and if that's even something that works in 9th edition.

I see these as a back field screening unit.  As suck they should be deployed either in a line or a refused flank no further from a table edge than 9.5" from an edge and obviously 18" to 18.5" maximum apart (or closer with flamers? for fire coverage between them.) 

The next issue is finding the point for at least two of them. And then there's the space issue in the deployment zone. Can I set them up where I want them or not. I'm still unfamiliar with DZ's in 9th to know if how I think I would use them would work or not. 
In a way it feels like throwing away 500+ points from my army so we would need to structure a list that is ok with doing that and accept playing at a slight handicap further up the table. 
So the question is would screening off that much of my back field actually help me or hurt the active portion of my force. 

Just the way I am looking at these as I am playing a purely Primaris list thus far and feel my choices and game play there in will be a bit different from a first borne or mixes list.  
I can see these of more use against a known opposition than in tournament play where it's luck of the draw. And more so if you know or have a prearranged game and know which mission you plan to play ahead of time.  Again, non competitive play.  This would easily allow any agreed upon list tailoring in this case just swopping the Heavy bolters for the heavy flamers.
On a side note I was excited about these until I noticed that it's a heavy bolter profile not a twin heavy bolter profile. And hitting on a 5+, a big turn off for most to all Marine players.  

I want to like this unit because it's new but am having trouble with that now especially when I could put those points into a Gladiator, large and boxy for screening but also able to move and actually hit targets. 

Anyone have the dimensions of it? Looks 6"x6"?

It won't actually fit into your deployment zone in some missions on the minimum sized incursion table - you get 5" of space to deploy (30" table width, DZ starts 10" from the middle).

A good point for sure. My head is still stuck in old hammer. I was wondering what the bunkers footprint was. 

I've see some in pictures from people wip project posts a while ago but can't recall where. I'm tempted to buy just 1 now. more so than before. If it's as big as that more than 1 would be too much of an unknown. But I can see 1 with the flamers as a saver choice. My guys ten to play at least 1500 points, might have the room for at least 1. 

I'll need to think about this further. 

The heavy bolter array is an interesting rules concept. Unlike any other unit I can think of, it can target every eligible unit, instead of just selecting one. I don't know that Heavy 3 would wipe out units wholesale in practice, but in theory if something like 10 units of bloodletters dropped within range and line of sight, it could get interesting.

The hammer fall missile launcher has a decent anti-infantry or anti-tank role, but unlike the similarly modelled whirlwind, it requires line of sight. This forces some decision making as it will want to be placed in line of sight for immediate shots, or with line of sight to anticipated enemy positions (e.g. objective markers). But, this could make it a target. At T8 14w, it's not an easy pushover. Though, it doesn't have an invulnerable save or ability to ignore wounds, so I wouldn't be too cavalier about it. In other editions T8 could be a game mechanic leverage point, meaning many units couldn't kill it efficiently, and the opponent would have to dedicate severely disproportionate firepower to stop it. That isn't so here. Eradicators, and attack bikes, and fusion pistols will show up. 1912 era claims like, 'the Hammer Fall is unsinkable' are ill advised. 

It has no transport capacity, which at times can be a reason to take buildings (hiding an important unit, or gaining extra movement by disembarkation). 

Without movement, there are limits on what it brings to the objectives game.

To address the deployment zone issue (wisely mentioned above), here's a couple of pictures to judge size:

IMG 20210213 081847420

IMG 20210213 081828483

sml_gallery_72066_16909_579594.jpg

Ah, so it's literally too large to take in an incursoion scale mission in case you roll the 5" deployment zone and are using a min sized table.

On the other hand, if you know you're playing on Mundus Planus as above, that's perhaps the absolute best time to take one of these bunkers imagine taking 3 and each of them getting to fire at every available target in that game :sweat:

sml_gallery_72066_16909_579594.jpg

Ah, so it's literally too large to take in an incursoion scale mission in case you roll the 5" deployment zone and are using a min sized table.

Correcting myself here, as of the latest BRB FAQ and large models, if it doesnt fit into the DZ, it can overhand out of the DZ, 'as long as the base is fully within the DZ'. Again they hadn't factored in the Hammerfall, but my RAW interpretation is that if the model cannot fit wholly within the DZ, you have to try and at least get all the base in, if it doesnt have a base, just part of it has to be in your DZ, so you can actually deploy it a bit futher forwards.

• 3 weeks later...

This unit was a big swing and miss from GW. Enormous size makes it difficult, sometimes outright impossible, to place in your DZ legally, and it can’t deep-strike or forward deploy despite the lore suggesting that it can. Its weapons are fine, but in no way good enough to justify bringing it.

If they allowed it to deep strike or forward deploy it would be a winner, and IMO fit well within the Astartes toolbox.

I know someone that uses it with his Blood Angels and he said it ends up being useful. The opponent either 1.) ignores it and after a couple rounds it ends up doing damage they can't keep ignoring, or 2.) they target it right away which gives some breathing room to his units like SG, DC, AI, etc. It's also a line anchor and deep strike denier. 

I'm considering getting one and trying it out.

If they allowed it to deep strike or forward deploy it would be a winner, and IMO fit well within the Astartes toolbox.

If it got DS rules, I'd paint one black with red salitres :biggrin.:

I was set to buy some a few months ago, until I had a real look at them and started playing 9th. Now I just don't know. The set up restrictions are strong reason not to for me. That and not being able to threaten an objective. I can see not being able to deploy on top of an objective for sure but not even being able to claim one is a downer.  I might reconsider, yet again, in a few more games. I can imagine setting it up just out side of 3" to an objective and having it loaded with the flamers. As long as there's deployment room.  But that falls off into a who other topic I think.