Unit of the Week: Captain with (MC) Heavy Bolt Rifle

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Captain with Master-crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your HBR Captain?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it be babysitting anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?
  • How are you making use of Rites of Battle?

Over to you

Have they given us the release date for the KT box yet?

I think the Captain can be a decent choice in the backfield supporting long-range firepower, Devs or Heavy INTs or something. The extent to which long-range firepower is desirable in a BA list is debatable, though.

A regular Primaris Captain with MC Power Sword is 10 points cheaper than the Heavy MC Bolt rifle version. So 10 points gets you +1W, +1T and a better bolt rifle. Probably a worthwhile upgrade unless you are particularly tight for points or need to fit him in a Transport.

Of course personally I like my Captain up front bashing face but that is a separate conversation. :biggrin.:

A regular Primaris Captain with MC Power Sword is 10 points cheaper than the Heavy MC Bolt rifle version. So 10 points gets you +1W, +1T and a better bolt rifle. Probably a worthwhile upgrade unless you are particularly tight for points or need to fit him in a Transport.

Of course personally I like my Captain up front bashing face but that is a separate conversation. :biggrin.:

He also gains access to the Gravis stratagem for +1 to armor saves VS D1 weapons.  That can be very valuable if you need to throw him into a tarpit situation.

• 3 weeks later...

He also gains access to the Gravis stratagem for +1 to armor saves VS D1 weapons. That can be very valuable if you need to throw him into a tarpit situation.

Damn how did I miss seeing that stratagem? Between that and gift of foresight he could be pretty hard to kill.

He also gains access to the Gravis stratagem for +1 to armor saves VS D1 weapons. That can be very valuable if you need to throw him into a tarpit situation.

Damn how did I miss seeing that stratagem? Between that and gift of foresight he could be pretty hard to kill.

Upgrade him with Armour Indomitus for a 2+ save meaning that even hordes of chainswords (or other AP-1 weapons) will struggle to scratch him. You also have the 3++ in case you run into anything big and scary.

Combine with Sacrifice of Angels and he should be able to tank a ridiculous amount of damage in place of a unit you wish to protect.