Unit of the Week: Relic Terminator Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Relic Terminator Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_188327.jpg
Relic Terminators, Auberon

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Relic Terminators?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full units? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog, transport, or Teleport Strike?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it be babysitting anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?
  • What Wargear Options are you choosing and how much does it depend on the above choices?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

Not a bad unit by any means. They get the unique load out of Lightning Claws and Stormbolters, so something to think about there for sure - you can get some real weight of dice with these guys going that route. With claw Vanguard Veterans being all the rage, I'm sure these guys have a place too.

Plasma Blaster on the serge and access to Autocannons gives a big boost in firepower too plus a Grenade Harness per 5 men too.

I think they are genuine competitors for BGV. Slightly less damage output, every so slightly less durable, but more readily able to be deployed via teleport where you need them. I have seen them used to teleport onto an objective held by an-almost-dead unit of incursors turn 2, and hold the objective until reinforcements arrive. Also, they have a greater threat range with the combi-bolters, so they can contribute in both the shooting and melee phases. Good all-rounder, great for TAC lists. Overall, two thumbs up :D

For some reason they are 4pts/model cheaper then regular termies. Reaper autocanon is 5pts cheaper than the Assault canon - it has 2 shots less, but has significantly greater range, +1S and additional AP point.
Also, worth remembering that they are "Core".

Lightning claws are sweet, but Chainfists are nothig to sniff at either and against vehicles, they shine.
The Power Sword on the Sergeant seems the least favourable option for us when it's at the same price as a LC. As for the gun on him, I like the Volkite charger - range synergises better with the combi-bolters and it has those potential of causing MWs.

Edited by Majkhel

Just dug my own out of the attic, how thoughtful of destiny to conspire in my favour!

As well as being rather thematic models, the relic termies have unique wargear that feels more appropriate for an elite strike squad than the regular terminators, especially since they can mix between ranged and melee weapons within the squad. Adding a chainfist to a squad of bolter/class and a heavy flamer or autocannon can be the key to breaking through a dreadnought or hellbrute rather than being waylaid going around it.

Speaking of autocannons, this thing can be handy against tougher 1 wound infantry lie Necron warriors, battle sisters or Ork boyz, so it synergises well with the plasma blaster and claws. The colours option is awkward, the heavy tag makes it less accurate on the move, but the volkite mortal wounds deal is tempting, worth it if you don't have the plasma bit.

Personally, I use them as objective sweepers with a heavy flamer, plasma and claw/bolters. 5 of these guys deep striking to contest or at least attack an objective is often enough to take it, and will usually scupper any plan on my opponent's end, 15 wounds with 2+ 5++ is a hard target to just deal with at the drop of a hat.

For e, these guys feel more like terminators than actual terminators do.

Just enjoyed a game Vs Necrons, blasted a 2 units off of their back field objectives, and of course this left my faster infantry free to focus on the centre while my opponent struggled to deal with 2 squads of termies. Arriving with a termie chaplain with +1 to wound prayer was a big help. Swept away some immortals be warriors on arrival before they laid down some mighty covering fire. They went from hammer to anvil in the span of a battle round.

• 10 months later...

I know this is some pretty bad necroing here, but I've had my eye on some of these for a while. I was looking at loading them out with 3x CB/LC, one RAC/CF, and PB/CF with the grenade harness on the sergeant. For the same amount of points, the volkite just doesn't impress me much as compared to the plasma blaster. The HF would be nice, but the RAC just gives me more of a warm fuzzy feeling.

The three 'normal' would be chaff chewers, and the special weapons guys still put out enough dakka to help with the job, and when it's time they can put some hurt on larger targets as well.

Comments?

Edited by Paladin777

Seems about right.
Chainfists got noticeably better now when so many units have inbuilt -1D (dreads, DG spring to mind). Being D3 (and flat 3 against vehicles) for the same points gives them obvious advantage even before we factor in the extra point of AP.