Unit of the Week: Gladiator Reaper

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Gladiator Reaper

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Reaper?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer for this unit?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it be babysitting anything?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?
  • Over to you

An interesting observation is that the Tempest Bolter is not just a 4-barrel version of the Hurricane Bolter.

That's because it has AP -1 instead of the AP 0 of the Hurricane.

I would have preferred to see Hv.Bolters on the sponson mounts (there is space for a heavy weapon, they mounted Multi-meltas on the Valiant), but at least that's now not a total failure...

I've seen some math-hammering for the Reaper and it does indeed seem to have the best cost-damage output ratio of the three Gladiator variants. It's weight of fire is especially important as it has no access to re-rolls  (not being CORE). Pretty fast with 10" move and has some defence in the form of Smokescreen and Grav Pulse strats.
A tad pricey though.

I've seen some math-hammering for the Reaper and it does indeed seem to have the best cost-damage output ratio of the three Gladiator variants. It's weight of fire is especially important as it has no access to re-rolls (not being CORE). Pretty fast with 10" move and has some defence in the form of Smokescreen and Grav Pulse strats.

A tad pricey though.

off the top of my head is the current overcharged engines rule just for the Baal peer, or can we still use that for all vehicles.

I'm looking forward to putting one of these on the table. 
I really like the Tempest Bolter. I wish it was a stock option for all 3 types of Gladiator. The range and AP are a huge attraction. 
The AP - 2 starting on turn 2 should be a monster with average dice rolls to wounds, each should be mostly meaningful putting a dent into even might power armourd foes. 
What I am not sure about is if I need to add the heavy stubber as well or not. 

What I am not sure about is if I need to add the heavy stubber as well or not. [/size][/font]

I normally take optional weapon upgrades unless I desperately need the points for something else. Sticking an extra gun on is generally a cheap way to increase its effectiveness and it is cheaper than buying an extra model with a comparable weapon. A heavy stubber gets 3 anti-infantry shots. An Intercessor with an ABR provides similar firepower but costs an extra 20 points.

Granted it is a slightly apples-and-oranges comparison but you get the gist. There are only a few weapons where I find the upgrade is not worth it.

I'm looking forward to putting one of these on the table.

I really like the Tempest Bolter. I wish it was a stock option for all 3 types of Gladiator. The range and AP are a huge attraction.

The AP - 2 starting on turn 2 should be a monster with average dice rolls to wounds, each should be mostly meaningful putting a dent into even might power armourd foes.

What I am not sure about is if I need to add the heavy stubber as well or not.

is there a reason for you not to take the stubber? That's the better question.

For a dakka vehicle the more dakka the better.

....They are so much not an astartes weapon...

With that I really sympathise! I was so disappointed initially when we got stubbers along with Primaris. Such a primitive, uncivilised gun... 

Wheras the mass-reactive explosive rounds of a bolter are obviously from a more civilised age :-) 

Though i agree with the sentiment, stubbers were teh ubiquitous upgrades for IG tanks for a few editions, while marines always made do with the trusty 2 shot storm bolter.

Well funnily enough my game last night was against someone who brought a Reaper.

With a techmarine buff, it's pretty good.

I didn't feel super terrified of it, but it consistently did a chunk of damage to stuff, and didn't care about invulns, fnp, or -1 damage making it inefficient.

It just went brrrr.

This is how I'm building my gladiator, as a reaper.

I'll probably only run one. I do not play tournament, so it'll see use, although I do run a relatively well constructed and well rounded list normally.

• 1 month later...