Unit of the Week: Assault Intercessor Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Assault Intercessor Squad
sml_gallery_62972_11847_6637.jpg
Assault Intercessors, Captain Caine 24th

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Assault Intercessors?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai

My thinking is run them in a 5 man squad that starts on the board.  Sergeant equipped with a power sword as we all know how tasty it is in BA hands.  Advance turn 1 toward a midfield objective, turn 2 either charge anything in range or capture the objective.  By that point my elites should be dropping or deep striking in (list dependent), leaving them to hold the objective or harass the midfield as other troops move up the board.  I feel like they're a good enough unit to be effective in what they do, but not so good that I want to dedicate HQ buffs to them.  

Curious to hear opinions and unique ways we can utilize them, as I like the look of the models and consider them an auto include when list planning.  

For once I do have a painted squad to add! Ha. Ok, that said let's talk this out.

Combinations & tactics

• As blood angels, a bonus on the wound roll, charges, advances, etc. really go well with the close combat orientation of this unit
  • Chaplains on bikes and apothecaries are already good, and this unit goes very well with them
  • Keywords. They have the CORE keyword to unlock a lot of things (captain, lieutenant auras, etc). I think most all troop options do anyway.
    • they have the INFANTRY keyword (sanguinary priest blood chalice, narthecium, combat restoratives).
    • because of the good keywords you could stack quite a bit of efficiency on them, or give timely bonuses when needed as characters come and go across the board to help where needed.
    • I don't know that you want a whole army of these guys though. They don't strike me as so cheap you could flood the table with them. You may want infiltrators to block enemy reserves. You may want incursors or infilatrators to get on the middle of the table immediately. You may also want to focus aura bonuses more on your real elite units. 
  • Objectives. there are important objectives possible with the infantry keyword (repair teleport homer, investigate sites, raise banners high).
    • As part of this, being a TROOP unit, these guys have the objective secured rule while within an adeptus astartes detachment. It's important. Just how important is up for debate, some blood angel commanders do very well going extremely minimal on troops, not even using battalions. Some use shennanigans on the enemy instead of filling their own roster with objective secured (like the Rites of war warlord trait and Visage of Death relic). In other cases, the enemy might also have objective secured and more bodies (or its own special rules to counter you). Regardless, generally you probably want to hold as many objectives as possible for as long as possible. If that statement is true, these guys fit into such a plan.
  • Movement. An impulsor might help movement as they lack a jump pack, bike or movement bonus. An impulsor also can also keep them alive or act as a big distraction if need be. I also worry about new rules coming down in other codexes preventing re-rolls on charges, and/or limiting charge length (e.g. death guard book of rust). Relying on good character synergy may be one-dimensional (redundancy is important). Still, chasing down super fast armies, like eldar isn't as much a problem on a smaller board these days, though in the past assault units on foot were much more disadvantaged. The central placement of objectives in 9th is also important (generally you have less need to uproot some enemy dug in at the farthest table corner). 
  • Terrain Features [Advanced rules] With the INFANTRY keyword they can get benefits in area terrain, and obstacles. 
  • Terrain traits [Advanced rules]. I think with model size and INFANTRY keyword they'd usually get some benefits from terrain traits: Scaleable, breachable, defensible, obscuring, light cover, heavy cover. There are some advantages in taking infantry over bikes or such. 

Comparison (don't do it, comparison is the thief of joy)

• If your vision/strategy/plan/whatever is to save points on troops, go for these guys.
    • Why not? Strictly on points per model, these guys are 1 < normal intercessors, 2 < incursors, 5 < infiltrators, 1 > tactical marines, and 9 < the heavy intercessors.
  • If your idea is to sit on objectives, and/or shoot long range, while the rest of the army moves up, maybe go heavy intercessors instead. 
    • The assault intercessors' single shot, shorter range gun, coupled with close combat benefits indicates to me these guys benefit the most in moving into close combat pronto.
    • Well, I mean you could pull something with strategic reserves [advanced rules] for 2CP a unit of 6 more could come running in from your table edge directly into combat. I don't know that this is a good use of points. There could be other units who do this really well? 
  • With so many troop choices, I feel it's less about which is "better" and more about what sort of mess you are putting your troop units in. Maybe playtest a few games and see how you tend to play the assault intercessors. If you feel you need more shooting, change it up. Maybe you're wanting fit a round peg in a square hole. Screaming and running straight at a knight titan is not a good life choice. 

Stratagems

• transhuman physiology adds some good durability
  • gene wrought might gives an auto wound on a 6 to hit. 
  • Honor the Chapter - fight twice can be a huge advantage in at least three ways (somebody smarter can add more). (1) It could prevent you from losing your squad in subsequent combats. (2) It could eliminate a key enemy squad. (3) Pile ins and consolidations are always a big way to change the position of your unit towards other enemies or objectives. The Assault Intercessor Squad keyword being, well, the key to this working because it used to be an army-wide stratagem, and often abused in the prior edition. BUT, you don't need a 10 man sanguinary guard squad for this strat to be awesome... so do not lament (unless that is your successor chapter's namesake, then by all means go a head). Remember, stratagems being limited to one use per phase as a general rule encourages you to avoid saturating the table with these guys. 
  • Auspex scan, to shoot at incoming units set up as reinforcements is available to them, but shooting isn't their strong suit. 

Ok, this got too long. I yield the floor. 

Pretty much what Caine said.

I've used mine in a few games since Indomitus was released and they've typically done their job without being awesome. For me when I've taken them that job has been to be at the front, rush ahead onto mid-board objectives and then either try to sit on those a turn or two or push ahead if something else arrives to hold the objective.

I don't use them specifically as a melee unit to target enemy squads due to the lack of jump packs. It's more a case of having extra melee punch with the chainswords if they do need to charge onto an objective, or when being charged while holding one. We have plenty of other (faster) units to use as targeted weapons.

As Caine said, I wouldn't necessarily look at these guys to sit back on deep objectives - though against some armies that might not be so bad if they deep strike a lot of melee in. I'd usually look at other troop units for holding deeper objectives.

As for squad size, I've found them most effective in squads of 5. I took 10 of them last game and they rushed onto a mid table objective turn 1. In the opponent's turn they lost 5 models to psychic/shooting, failed both attempts at a morale test and saw 4 more lost to attrition. That left the sergeant alone who charged 20 poxwalkers, failed all his hit roles, got killed in return and turned into one :p I feel I would've been better with 2 squads of 5 for morale purposes; I took 10 to see if there would be a good opportunity for Honour the Chapter but that never happened.

Ultimately for me they're thematic for BA as front line troops to make first contact, do what they can and preferably be a nuisance for the enemy while our elites get into position.

-I keep coming back to the idea of running these guys in a 5 man squad and giving the Sergeant a Thunder hammer and Quake Bolts. I don't really want to run them in an Impulsor, but spending a CP to keep them in strategic reserves until T3 then bringing them in to assault or put additional pressure on an objective seems tasty.

I think the fact that these are the only unit we have that can fight twice anymore is reason enough to give these guys a good hard look to see if we can fit them in any list we run. Being able to have the unit hit on 2's (or the Sgt on 3's with a PF/TH), without needing another model to facilitate that is something i dont see people talking about enough. 4 of these on T3, hitting on 2's.wounding on 3's, reducing MEQ Sv's to a 5+ averages out to 7.38 wounds. then you have the Sgt. attacks with whatever flavor of weapon you like.

-I keep coming back to the idea of running these guys in a 5 man squad and giving the Sergeant a Thunder hammer and Quake Bolts. I don't really want to run them in an Impulsor, but spending a CP to keep them in strategic reserves until T3 then bringing them in to assault or put additional pressure on an objective seems tasty.

I think the fact that these are the only unit we have that can fight twice anymore is reason enough to give these guys a good hard look to see if we can fit them in any list we run. Being able to have the unit hit on 2's (or the Sgt on 3's with a PF/TH), without needing another model to facilitate that is something i dont see people talking about enough. 4 of these on T3, hitting on 2's.wounding on 3's, reducing MEQ Sv's to a 5+ averages out to 7.38 wounds. then you have the Sgt. attacks with whatever flavor of weapon you like.

If I’m going to put them in reserves I would rather take DC intercessors for more attacks + FNP. You do lose out on quake bolts but I don’t think an Intercessor sergeant with only a pistol is the best vehicle for that anyway

The following crazy list uses both Assault Intercessors and DC Assault Intercessors!

In proper transports too!

Primaris Darkness (1998 points - 12 CP)

Blood Angels Battalion

(Company Command, Chapter Tactics: Red Thirst, Troops: Objective Secured, Savage Echoes)

110 - Primaris Chaplain, Master of Sanctity, Relic: Benediction of Fury, WT: Wise Orator (Warlord)

155 - Mephiston

90 - Primaris Lieutenant, MC Power sword, Storm shield

215 - Intercessor squad (10), Power Fist, Auto Bolt rifles, Grenade launcher

110 - Intercessor squad (5), Power fist, Bolt rifles

100 - Intercessor squad (5), Chainsword, Bolt rifles

138 - Assault Intercessor squad (7), Power sword

250 - Death Company Intercessors (10), Power fist, Chainswords

150 - Outrider squad (3)

340 - Repulsor, Tw.Lascannon, Hv.Onslaught gatling, Onlslaught gatling, 2 Krakstorms, 2 Stormbolters, Icarus rocket pod,

Hunter-Slayer missile, Auto launchers

340 - Repulsor, Tw.Lascannon, Hv.Onslaught gatling, Onlslaught gatling, 2 Krakstorms, 2 Stormbolters, Icarus rocket pod,
          Hunter-Slayer missile, Auto launchers

I'm still not sold on the validity of them, but happy to learn from frater who are having success. 

Perhaps en-masse advancing up the table T1 to hold objectives until your T2 command with Transhuman, then try and get into combat? 

You can put 2 5-man squads in Reserve for 1CP. Have them come on T2, preferably somewhere with some cover. Then on T3 when our super-Doctrine kicks in, we have a couple of extra cheap-ish ObjSec units that hit respectably hard in melee ready to nab Objectives or pounce on weakened units. Probably need to give the Serg a weapon upgrade but even a humble power sword can do good work with 5 attacks, Ap-4 and Red Thirst. Possibly the extra points points for a power fist would be better though.

If we had a cheap Rhino-equivalent or Drop Pod for Primaris, I think these guys would be a lot more popular. They synergise quite well with our Chapter abilities and they are our cheapest Primaris Troop unit. It is just deployment that is awkward, hence my feeling that Reserves may be the way to go.

I recently created three 5 man squads, with two sergeants armed with thunder hammers, and the third using a power fist. I've been using them as my troop choices and I like them. They move well up the board and seize objectives. I tend to run something spicy up the middle of the board which takes some attention off of these guys. That helps them too.

Overall I've been happy with the unit. Sometimes I question whether I should have just equipped the sergeants with power swords because honestly they are good infantry killers but don't fare too well against stronger units such as dreadnoughts, elites, vehicles, etc?

Overall I've been happy with the unit. Sometimes I question whether I should have just equipped the sergeants with power swords because honestly they are good infantry killers but don't fare too well against stronger units such as dreadnoughts, elites, vehicles, etc?

Tough call, ironically Dreads are a particularly tough target for power fists thanks to their -1D rule. Having said that, there are enough 2W infantry models in the game to make a power fist justifiable (although hardly mandatory).

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro, but I just got a box of these guys for Christmas from the wife. I wasn't actually planning on getting any (and didn't have the heart to tell her that), so I was wondering if anyone had any more experience with how to run them since the last post, as well as how to arm the sergeant. I made 5, and gave the sergeant a fist, but I could be persuaded to snap that off and make it a sword. 

I think Fist is probably the best option unless you are specifically trying to save points. You will be wounding Elite infantry on a 2+ and even T8 targets like Knights on a 3+. Even if you find yourself facing chaff, console yourself with the thought of what all those cheap chainsword attacks are doing. :thumbsup: