+ Daemonhunters Tactica Project: FA & HS +

Ranulf

Ok folks, it's time to begin the Daemonhunters Tactica Project. The project shall be divided into three seperate sections, covered in the following order:

#1 - The HQ & Elite sections. Status: Complete

Codex choices for discussion under this section include: Inquisitor Lords & Retinues, Grey Knight Heroes, Inquisitors & Retinues, Daemonhosts, Grey Knight Terminators, Death-Cult Assassins and Officio Assassinorum Operatives.

You may also discuss the appropriate Wargear, Weapons, Psychic Powers and Transport options as they apply to HQ & Elite choices.

#2 - The Troops section. Status: Complete

Codex choices for discussion under this section include: Grey Knights, Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, Inducted Guard, (Troop choices) and Inducted Space Marines. (Troop choices)

You may also discuss the appropriate Wargear, Weapons and Transport options as they apply to Troop choices.

#3 - The Fast Attack and Heavy Support sections. Status: Currently running in this thread.

Codex choices for discussion under this section include: Grey Knight Squads, (Teleport Attack) Purgation Squads, Orbital Strikes, Land Raiders, Land Raider Crusaders, Grey Knight Dreadnoughts, Inducted Guard (Fast Attack and Heavy Support) and Inducted Space Marines. (Fast Attack and Heavy Support)

You may also discuss the appropriate Wargear, Weapons, Transport and Vehicle Upgrades options as they apply to Fast Attack and Heavy Support choices.

For this project to be successful, it will need to be focussed. As such, a few rules will apply, namely:

#1- Material posted *must* be directly related to the section being discussed. We realise that many of you may have tactical guides already written and wish to post them up immediately, however, we ask that you have patience and wait for the relevant section.

#2- No off-topic posts. You all know exactly what is inferred by this rule. The threads will be actively monitored by the Moderators of the forum, so anyone starting arguments, flaming or posting off-topic *will* be dealt with severely.

#3- Question & comments such as 'What exactly can I post?' or 'I think this is a really good idea!' are not to be posted on the Tactica thread, they can however be directed (via PM) to the Moderators of this forum.

Now, with all the 'heavy' stuff out of the way, we look forward to seeing your tactical insights and advice about using Daemonhunter armies!

-Ran

Now the #1 thing you have to do is figure out which Heavy Support you want to use... There are:

Grey Knights Purgation Squads

This is a really expensive squad and our equivilent of a Devestator Squad. If you chose to use one of these squads you should use no more than one squad, and have a specific battlefield role picked out (eg killing Necron Wraiths with Psycannons = lots of fun :(). I would not suggest taking one of these squads as they will draw even more fire than your regular Grey Knights (unless that was your plan in the first place).

Orbital Strike

These weapons are fairly cheep for what they do, and that is lock on to a large peice of terrain and detonate when the enemy comes close. I would suggest on usind Lance Strikes as they give you Str 10 and Ap 1, making it a very versitile choice (and cheeper than the Melta Torpedo). These are very random weapons and are better used in higher point games where there will be more models to hit.

Grey Knights Land Raider

One of the few long range Anti-Tank weapons available to the Grey Knights, the Land Raider with it's Twin-Linked Lascannons will never miss (acctually it has a 94.44% chance of hitting) -AND- you can carry Grey Knights Terminators and regular Grey Knights, giving them a transport they desperatly need. Having Av 14 on all sides helps as well! :)

Grey Knights Land Raider Crusader

Giving even more transport ability this Land Raider lacks the same Ant-Tank fierpower that the regular Land Raider brings to the table. Better against horde army's with it's Hurricane Bolters and Twin-Linked Assault Cannons this tank can dish out a lot of medium-power fire. Having 14 Av on all sides helps as well! B)

Grey Knights Dreadnought

This isn't just a Dreadnought, it's a Close Combat machine. With the improved WS this Artifact of Shiny Death outstrides even the other Dreadnoughts of other Chapters. One of the uses that I have seen these beasts put to is as a firing weapon. Now they can hold more Anti-Tank guns than the rest of a Grey Knights force, but I see replacing it Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon for a Missile Launcher as a crime. Without the DCCW you are taking away it's biggest advantage and settling for #2.

Inducted Imperial Gaurd Leman Russ

This machine does everything you could ask for and more. It has a Str 8 Ap 3 pie plate you can drop on any Space Marine Command Squad and "watch 'em burn!" (as it will insta' kill the leader, unless he has some very shiney armour :lol:) It also can be tooled out with a Lascannon and two Heavy Bolters. With the new rules for vehicles, this blessed war machine can move, and unload ordanence death, OR it can fire 1 Lascannon and 6 Heavy Bolter shots at whatever you find unluckey enough to draw it's attention. It also has a fairly good armour value and can stand a fair ammount of firepower.

Allied Space Marine Predator

This is a excelent anti-tank weapon (which I don't need to tell you, we need desperatly). It can be decked out with a Twin-Linked Lascannon and 2 Lascannon's (25 points for two!) OR a autocannon and 2 Heavy Bolters (needless to say that you can combine the two options). This vehicle can survive a good ammount of incomming fire, but could use some protection againt lots of fire.

Ok Fast Attack...

I play a pure GK army so there's no need to really think about it...

Teleport Attack Squads

These guys, apart from you Terminators, are your go-to guy's. If you have a problem they drop on the enemies head and "Give 'em hell!" For the same points as regular GK these guys are a steal. Unfortunalty these guys can't get into CC on arrival, making them vulnerable to incomming enemy fire. An easy way to make these guys one-shot-tank-killers, is by arming them with 2 Psycannons and dropping them behind a big tank. Against anything other than a Land Raider -OR- Monilith, this tactic will kill any heavy tanks that are an "annoyence" to the rest of your force (because as we all know, we are Anti-Tank deficient). You can also get 2 Incinerators and drop these guys close to a LARGE squad of enemies, where the flame templates will do the most damage. You can also use these guys to tie up enemie Heavy Weapons squads (e.g. IG Anti-Tank squad) which will free up most of your other firepower and take a little pressure off of the rest of your force.

And here's one for all you out there that find confort in numbers...

Imperial Gaurd Sentinels

These are cheep, mini Dreadnoughts, being armed with heavy Flamers, Multi-Laseres, Autocannons, or Lascannons these things can do just about anything. The most common build you will see in a Daemonhunter army is a Lascannon squad, as they will give the force good, mobile, anti-tank firepower. Also they can be used for the more conventional "Troop Clearing" by arming them with Autocannons or Multi-Lasers. These can also be put to use destroying light armour, like transports and ork tanks. If your playing against a horde army, you can always pull out the Heavy Flamers although, personally I prefer the Multi-Laser for this as I don't have to have my guys "right on top" of the enemy befor I can ger ONE round of flames in! They are fairly fragile as they only have an armour value of 10, but kept in cover they can reek havoc on the enemy's lines.

At last, FA and HS.

Ok, here goes my advice.

FA

Well, not too much really, only FA GK, wich in my opinion are better than normal GK. You can deepstrike every battle and they can deal a good punch in CC. Remmeber a few drawbacks. First of all, They are not going to arrive until turn 2 ( if you roll a good dice ) and when they arrive they can not assault, so try to keep them out of assault range. Think carefully where to deepstrike, sometimes is better to walk a little than being overrun by the enemy. Use them in small groups, no more than 7.

HS

Purgation Squad

I've only tried them once with 4 psycannons. They are expensive, they will die, but they will do their work. 4 psycannons are really nasty and remember, eldar farseers will run from them. Also C'tans will die quick.

Orbital Strike

They are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaallllyyyyyy fun. And is very fluffy. Imagine an Inquisitor saying "ok, press the red button and nuke them". They are not very accurate, but the thing is that your enemy will think twice before risking his troops being bombarded by a blast. Use always str10 ap1 ordnance ( forgot his name ) because its cheap and everybody loves str10.

LR's

I like LR's, but in a DH army can be reeaaalllyyy expensive. Not because they cost more points than in other armies, but you have expensive troops. Both are a good solution for those players who like to deliver a quick punch in no time. Remember, assaulting when leaving LR is a veeery good option. Both of them are good. If you want anti tank, go for normal LR. If you want more troops to be delivered, go for crusader. Always use them with termies. Normal GK can walk or deepstrike.

GK Dreadnought

OK. My favourite option. I always take one with twin linked lasscannon. Always use CCW, because with higher WS than normal dreads, you can deal a good punch. Also, i like them having a CCW. If you lack antitank, go for ML too, but i prefer CCW. They are very good at being destroyed by the enemy, but the enemy will fire a lot of lasscannons to the dread, leaving other troops safe. Also if you get to CC you can just tie up a large unit that can not destroy the Dread. Like, marines, eldars, and so on.

Ok, this is not too much but is something. Now, grab your troops and get the heretics. Also i recommend reading other tacticas. They will help you a lot.

punkoteloco

As the Grey Knight options have previously been discussed, I'd like to point out the options available if Inducted Guard are taken.

Leman Russ-great tank, with a battlecannon. This thing can be kitted out to destroy anything, from massive amounts of troops to tank busting. Remember that the rear is very vulnerable, so keep it well defended. I usually put mine in a place that is well covered by terrain but still has a large area of sight.

Sentinels-mini dreadnoughts. Great if you are low on heavy weapons. These guys are basically mini dreadnoughts. They also use walker rules, so you can move and shoot weapons every turn. These guys can be easily taken down though, so dont count on them for much. Try to hide them behind terrain.

@ Brock

Glad to see someone mentioning the Daemonhunter Codex's Inducted Guard. I'm just starting to add the cheap 'meatbag and heavy metal element to my own army. (sigh) If only Storm Troopers could field a Heavy Weapons Team.

Heavy

Grey Knight Land Raider/Crusader: the long and the short of this story. My playing style refuses to place 250 points into 1 model. There is no denying a Land Raiders ultility. Especially in a Grey Knight army. But then anyone who refuses to utilize Storm Troopers are missing the whole point of the Daemonhunter Codex. For 250 points you get the greatest Transport vehicle for assault unitsthat can also 'capture Objectives, and serve as the army's anti-tank element. In other words you've put all your eggs in one basket. It's a matter of style but I refuse to spend on the average 1/6 of my points on something most armies have a good chance to kill on Turn 1.

Purgation Squad: If your one of these sterile purist (wink) who insist on playing "pure" Grey Knight army then, for the points, this is an option I'd recommend. But only if you take a 10 man squad. It gives you 4 exellent ranged heavy weapons that are well protected by their very dangerous brethern. No they don't Deep Strike but they do start on the board becoming an immediate threat and can move and fire like no Devestator Squad could dream of. With all that said, with my playing style, like the Land Raider, this is just too many points in too few models in 1 unit.

Orbital Strike: For 60-80 points you can't find a better psychological weapon in the game. The sheer devestating potential this thing brings to the table will have your opponent avoiding the tables larger terrain pieces like the plague. While it is fine tactical tool don't expect it to . . . as what amateurs refer to as . . . " get it's points back. My favorite particular use for this weapon is to use it against 'hordish armies and bring down the 'Barrage Bomb right on top of my Grey Knights, particularlly Terminators and trust in the 2+ armor save.

Grey Knight Dreadnought: It comes with all the weaknesses of any Dreadnought. Thinnish armor, infantry-like movement, and an agonizing limited number of attacks in close combat. And still I wouldn't field a Space Marine army without one, Grey Knights moreso. Aestetically, nothing says whupass like a Dreadnought. They work a lot better when the opponent has something else to use his anti-tank weapons on. Rumbling up behind a Rhino or Chimera is highly suggested. The twin-linked lascannon seems to be the weapon of choice for obvious reasons and when the FAQs finally clear up the Assault Cannon rules it to should be highly regarded. Plasma Cannon? Well let's just say with the new rules, today's Plasma Cannon is yesterdays Assault Cannon. Anyone who played 2nd Edition understands. Lastly, always take smoke launchers and extra armour no ifs ands or buts.

If you don't know the strengths and weaknesses of Devestators and Predators you really aren't using this website to it's fullest. ^_^

Leman Russ? Space Marine killing pie plates, Armour 14, lascannon as a back-up weapon? All for 160 points with extra armour. This alone is worth building the two Armoured Fist squads it takes to field

I plan on addressing the Fast Attack selections in another post.

• 1 month later...

Regarding Grey Knights as Fast Attack Choice

Just want to add, that you don't have to deepstrike. You can let them come from the board edge direct into close combat, if you want to.

Hell, you needn't even let them start in reserves und put them on the board at the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

A large note that it seems all of you missed on the Inducted Leman Russ pie plate dropping powers...they only work 50% of the time. You may have the tank in a DH army, but its still piloted by the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Guard don't know how to shoot anything properly. That being said, for their large point cost you'll only be able to utilize it efficiently for half the game, if at all.

EXAMPLE: My friend plays IG and relies on his big guns to destroy the enemy. I played him in a game and not a single one of his shells hit anything. It would be no different than in the DH army, except for the fact that you can't have more than one of these beasts and you need to sink your points in IG platoons and/or Armoured Fist squads. While these units provide excellent cover (but not really) I don't consider any of it to be worth while.

Unfortunately in order to use the Space Marines Heavy Support you need to accomplish a few things: First, you need to include squads of Space marines in your army. Second, you need to NOT include any Grey Knights in your army. Now lets face it...how many people who play DH play Radical armies? Or JUST DH without any Daemonhosts or Grey Knights? 10% tops...The reasons for this are fairly obvious, and off-topic for that matter so I'll not delve into them.

Dreadnoughts: If you want to make up for your lack of anti-tank power, this is the place to do so. While a single Landraider has the greater ability to take out tanks, you can also get about 2 of these mechanical terrors in their place. Dreadnoughts not only provide anti-infantry with their melee or even guns if you give them the correct kind, they also soak up a lot of fire that could be aimed into your other squads.

as the greay knights units are pretty much covered, i did want to touch on a few things.

fast attack

Sentinels.

yeah i know you have to take 2 infantry platoons to use them. yes i know they cant hit the broadside of a barn, and i know their not armed that well, but they are walkers, getting to fire and move, and that gives you some mobile firepower, and they make excellent support for stormtroopers bravely holding the sacred icon from the taint of chaos and all those who follow it.

also, sentinels can help tie up a unit in hand to hand until you can get that big, 400 point inquisitor squad up there with 9 powerfist attacks and 5 thunder hammer attacks on the charge...

dont get me wrong, against the wrong enemy, (anyone with a powerfist) they are toast, but against basic marines, where your stormtroopers might not fair to well, they can do a great job of absorbing hits until your stronger hand to hand units can move in. in an interesting, the sentinel seems to stay overlooked and most people dont really shoot at them that much. as a result, you can have a vehicle squadron move in and do some damage before your opponent will start to prioritize them.

in the heavy support, if you are running an Ig inductiee army, you have two choices...

orbital strikes.

melta and lance are the only two words of the day. they shoot once they are rolled in on reserves, you decide when you roll, and you decide before the game begins what peice of terrain gets shot at. i constantly use them to creat choke points where its easy for my enemy to move into cover, making them instead have to more down a firezone, at which i have the other end of it covered by an IG infantry platoon.

also, on a lot of tables i play on, many of them have vehicle impassible terrain, adn normally have only a handful of terrain peices and areas for vehicles to pass through. i will drop a melta torpedoe there. you would be suprised how many heretic landraiders i have taken out with an orbital strike. (blessed be the emperor for guiding his holy vengence upon them)

i also like to target larger terrain, where i know my opponent will go. i target the terrain and the place it closes to the model where i want it to go and the roll scatter. sometimes its funny just to watch how my enemies plans get turned backwards due to some extremely inaccurate, and very lucky ordnance fire. obvioulsy the empereror is on my side in these games!

Leman Russ battle tank

for less than 160 points, you can get the big daddy of them all. there area multitude of sponson weapons and accessories for the leman russ, and can be ourfitted with lascannon, heavy bolters, heavy flamers, battlecannons, and just about any other defensive weapon in the game, including the heavy stubber, and that can make for a large, and quite impressive display of the emperors fury! using them to support my lines is the leman russess primary responsibility, but occassionally, when a larger, nastier unit than my inquisitor is coming at me, the leman has a tendancy to open with with its battlecannon, and for popping tanks, the lascannon on the hull does a great job of punching man - sized holes in the opposition.

the leman russ has also proven invalueable by making sure that my enemy is shooting at the leman russ and its NOT shooting at my chimera mounted command squad. a 400 point inquisitor squad isnt fun to loose, and thanks to the leman russ, i rarely do.

as a decoy, mobile bunker or flanking peice, tis a great tank and costs relatively few ponts for what it does.

• 1 month later...

For this simple tactica of DH Fast and Heavy, I will only throw in my 2 cents on TGK(Fast), Purgation Squad, GK Land Raider/LR Crusader, GK Dreadnought and Orbital Strike.

=============

FAST ATTACK:

=============

Grey Knights Teleport Attack Squad

Identical to a standard GK squad (even points-wise), the difference is that the TGK will always get to Deep Strike onto the battlefield, irregardless of the scenario rules. Despite the obvious advantage over the opponent in certain scenarios, this can be both good and bad. Bad if your TGK teleported to a spot to be blasted apart by the enemy fire, otherwise good, as it draws fire/attention away from your main forces (Not much pple wants to let GK get too close, esp. when they r holding a incinerator or 2). Most pple I seen used TFK with the intention to get into HtH with enemy units asap. Thats fine but not easy. Actually, TGK teleported in a "safe-from-enemy-fire" zone can slowly acquired important table quarters and provide support fire. (Think, firing at enemy forces from all directions). This can be of great value for disrupting your enemy plans.

Some other use of TGK can be like teleporting into a unit of IST with a veteran holding a "Teleport Homer" when some enemy melee units approaches for HtH (but beware of enemy ordinance blast), or teleporting into some enemy lines that have been weaken from the main DH forces.

In respect to TGK, I would prefer using Incinerators. B'cuz TGK are mostly used as a shock troops, clearing enemy units ASAP is more important to me, so that they can get to do other more important things (like fire support or assaulting the next enemy unit), rather than getting tied down in HtH.

==============

HEAVY ATTACK:

==============

Purgation Squad

Purgation Squad is the Grey Knight equivalent to the standard Space Marine Devastator squad, with up to 4 members taking either Psycannon or Incinerators - the former weaponary, Psycannon, is the only reason why Purgation Squad will be included.

Like the Devastator Squad, they are preferred in a squad of 6 or more, as they are generally expensive. But unlike typical SM Devastator squad, they dun have Razorback or Rhino to tranport them around to advantages spots/cover.

Not highly recommended as it can be very expensive, yet easily taken down by enemy fire if not careful. But it does have its uses and can be devastating when deployed right.

Grey Knights Land Raider

GK Land Raider is similar to any SM LR, but in DH, esp. when GK is being fielded, they are the ONLY means of transport for any GK. Else, GK have to join the battlefield on foot.

However, other than having a highly armored tranport, LR provides very good anti-armour weaponary (the Linked Lascannon sponsons; which is the one of the VERY few anti-armour choice available to a purist DH army). They are best don with "Smoke Launchers" and "Extra Armor", to increase the surviability of such expensive unit. Also, Psycannon Bolts are wonderful when fired from the Linked Heavy Bolter on the LR.

In regards to a typical GK LR, Purgation Squads works pretty good with it. Together, they can provide a tremendious amount of firepower that few could match - as long as the LR tansport them to an ideal spot.

The first thing to note is that GK LR Crusader is NOT 0-1 for DH. This means DH can have 3 GK LR Crusaders as Heavy choice. Besides being fluffy with DH, it comes with prebuilt "Extra Armor" and "Frag Launchers". These really assist in optimising the impressive HtH combativeness of GK (but more importantly, transporting the GK into the enemy lines).

Unlike GK LR, Crusader is geared towards close combat, and not effective in ranged firepower in terms of anti-armour. However, the mounted "Multi-Melta" is capable of melting even the toughest armor available in WH40K universe. Moreover, Crusader spots very impressive weaponary that can really helps GK in CC, as it devastates any infantries (heavily armoured or otherwise) and light tanks, before unleashing the GK within for the final touchdown.

Granted, Crusaders are very well suited for GK HQ/Terminators. As they are both beautiful short-range performers. "Scared Hull" upgrade is highly recommanded when facing Chaos for a Crusader.

Grey Knights Dreadnought

The GK Dreadnought has a higher WS of 5 when compared to a typical SM Dreadnought (WS:4). Else, it spot similar weaponaries to a typical SM Dreadnought, other than the GK-trademark Incinerator and Psycannon.

GK Dreadnought is one of the other FEW options for GK mobile heavy weaponary support. Purist DH will normally armed GK Dreadnought with Linked Lascannon, while Radical DH will armed it for CC. Personally, my GK Dreadnought has Assault Cannon with Storm Bolter (benefit from "Psycannon Bolts") and it had performed very well in short and mid range. (Again this depends on your army structure, I field IST and they have been good with anti-armour with their Meltaguns)

"Blessed" upgrade is a must, as benefiting from "Aegis" is something not to be missed for a GK Dreadnought. (Plus, its fluffy too :tu:)

Orbital Strike

The Orbital Strike is DH means of getting an Ordinance without any induced/allied IG/SM. It is inaccurate but cheap. And with the latest 4th edition rules, one need to have the luck to place the template on top of any vehicles. Else, its ia very good in killing infantries and the like. Due to its randomness, Orbital Strike is more suitable to area-denial than to devastate enemy forces. This is more obvious in senarios like "Take and Hold".

DH are given 3 types of Orbital Strikes:

Type 1: Barrage Bomb

Suitable for Horde forces and the weakly armoured (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Tyranids, Orks, IG) due to its low STR. It is also this low strength that the bombs may be dropped on top of the GK Terminators, where their 2+ save will make them imprevious to the bombing.

Type 2: Lance Strike

At Str 10 and AP 1, it can fried any infantries outright - it is capable to instant-kill any characters or troops with Tgh 5 or under. My favourite type and most recommended against the likes of SM, CSM, Necrons - those under the template are sure goner.

Type 3: Melta Torpedoes

Thanks to its 2D6 armour penetration, it is the only Orbital Strike that can still chanced at destroying 2 or more vechicles. Highly recommended when the enemy is fielding lots of armoured vehicles (Iron Warriors, IG Armoured Company).

Personally, I most often use "Lance Strike" as my choice of Orbital Strike. Not only its fluffy with DH (Think, smiting from the "heavens"), it also allows me to deal with almost any type of enemy forces (esp against Necrons).

For this simple tactica of DH Fast and Heavy, I will only throw in my 2 cents on TGK(Fast), Purgation Squad, GK Land Raider/LR Crusader, GK Dreadnought and Orbital Strike.

=============

FAST ATTACK:

=============

Grey Knights Teleport Attack Squad

Identical to a standard GK squad (even points-wise), the difference is that the TGK will always get to Deep Strike onto the battlefield, irregardless of the scenario rules. Despite the obvious advantage over the opponent in certain scenarios, this can be both good and bad. Bad if your TGK teleported to a spot to be blasted apart by the enemy fire, otherwise good, as it draws fire/attention away from your main forces (Not much pple wants to let GK get too close, esp. when they r holding a incinerator or 2). Most pple I seen used TFK with the intention to get into HtH with enemy units asap. Thats fine but not easy. Actually, TGK teleported in a "safe-from-enemy-fire" zone can slowly acquired important table quarters and provide support fire. (Think, firing at enemy forces from all directions). This can be of great value for disrupting your enemy plans.

Some other use of TGK can be like teleporting into a unit of IST with a veteran holding a "Teleport Homer" when some enemy melee units approaches for HtH (but beware of enemy ordinance blast), or teleporting into some enemy lines that have been weaken from the main DH forces.

In respect to TGK, I would prefer using Incinerators. B'cuz TGK are mostly used as a shock troops, clearing enemy units ASAP is more important to me, so that they can get to do other more important things (like fire support or assaulting the next enemy unit), rather than getting tied down in HtH.

==============

HEAVY ATTACK:

==============

Purgation Squad

Purgation Squad is the Grey Knight equivalent to the standard Space Marine Devastator squad, with up to 4 members taking either Psycannon or Incinerators - the former weaponary, Psycannon, is the only reason why Purgation Squad will be included.

Like the Devastator Squad, they are preferred in a squad of 6 or more, as they are generally expensive. But unlike typical SM Devastator squad, they dun have Razorback or Rhino to tranport them around to advantages spots/cover.

Not highly recommended as it can be very expensive, yet easily taken down by enemy fire if not careful. But it does have its uses and can be devastating when deployed right.

Grey Knights Land Raider

GK Land Raider is similar to any SM LR, but in DH, esp. when GK is being fielded, they are the ONLY means of transport for any GK. Else, GK have to join the battlefield on foot.

However, other than having a highly armored tranport, LR provides very good anti-armour weaponary (the Linked Lascannon sponsons; which is the one of the VERY few anti-armour choice available to a purist DH army). They are best don with "Smoke Launchers" and "Extra Armor", to increase the surviability of such expensive unit. Also, Psycannon Bolts are wonderful when fired from the Linked Heavy Bolter on the LR.

In regards to a typical GK LR, Purgation Squads works pretty good with it. Together, they can provide a tremendious amount of firepower that few could match - as long as the LR tansport them to an ideal spot.

The first thing to note is that GK LR Crusader is NOT 0-1 for DH. This means DH can have 3 GK LR Crusaders as Heavy choice. Besides being fluffy with DH, it comes with prebuilt "Extra Armor" and "Frag Launchers". These really assist in optimising the impressive HtH combativeness of GK (but more importantly, transporting the GK into the enemy lines).

Unlike GK LR, Crusader is geared towards close combat, and not effective in ranged firepower in terms of anti-armour. However, the mounted "Multi-Melta" is capable of melting even the toughest armor available in WH40K universe. Moreover, Crusader spots very impressive weaponary that can really helps GK in CC, as it devastates any infantries (heavily armoured or otherwise) and light tanks, before unleashing the GK within for the final touchdown.

Granted, Crusaders are very well suited for GK HQ/Terminators. As they are both beautiful short-range performers. "Scared Hull" upgrade is highly recommanded when facing Chaos for a Crusader.

Grey Knights Dreadnought

The GK Dreadnought has a higher WS of 5 when compared to a typical SM Dreadnought (WS:4). Else, it spot similar weaponaries to a typical SM Dreadnought, other than the GK-trademark Incinerator and Psycannon.

GK Dreadnought is one of the other FEW options for GK mobile heavy weaponary support. Purist DH will normally armed GK Dreadnought with Linked Lascannon, while Radical DH will armed it for CC. Personally, my GK Dreadnought has Assault Cannon with Storm Bolter (benefit from "Psycannon Bolts") and it had performed very well in short and mid range. (Again this depends on your army structure, I field IST and they have been good with anti-armour with their Meltaguns)

"Blessed" upgrade is a must, as benefiting from "Aegis" is something not to be missed for a GK Dreadnought. (Plus, its fluffy too :tu:)

Orbital Strike

The Orbital Strike is DH means of getting an Ordinance without any induced/allied IG/SM. It is inaccurate but cheap. And with the latest 4th edition rules, one need to have the luck to place the template on top of any vehicles. Else, its ia very good in killing infantries and the like. Due to its randomness, Orbital Strike is more suitable to area-denial than to devastate enemy forces. This is more obvious in senarios like "Take and Hold".

DH are given 3 types of Orbital Strikes:

Type 1: Barrage Bomb

Suitable for Horde forces and the weakly armoured (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Tyranids, Orks, IG) due to its low STR. It is also this low strength that the bombs may be dropped on top of the GK Terminators, where their 2+ save will make them imprevious to the bombing.

Type 2: Lance Strike

At Str 10 and AP 1, it can fried any infantries outright - it is capable to instant-kill any characters or troops with Tgh 5 or under. My favourite type and most recommended against the likes of SM, CSM, Necrons - those under the template are sure goner.

Type 3: Melta Torpedoes

Thanks to its 2D6 armour penetration, it is the only Orbital Strike that can still chanced at destroying 2 or more vechicles. Highly recommended when the enemy is fielding lots of armoured vehicles (Iron Warriors, IG Armoured Company).

Personally, I most often use "Lance Strike" as my choice of Orbital Strike. Not only its fluffy with DH (Think, smiting from the "heavens"), it also allows me to deal with almost any type of enemy forces (esp against Necrons).

• 1 month later...
Something no-one has mentioned yet, in this section at least is the additional usefulness of taking at least one IG tank or vehichle in a grey knight heavy force. Apart from the obvious tank killing abilities of these vehichles, that the grey knights lack, they also supply the deepstriking GK with an additional help: Improved comms. Re-rolls on reserves are not something to be sneezed at, especially if the reserve you are rolling for is a grey knight grand master with bodyguard. This reason alone is more than enough to warrant such a vehichle, the dinner plate and lascannon should be seen as a bonus.

• 1 year later...

Fast Attack Grey Knights

FAGK are, as has been pointed out, identical in every way to normal PAGK but for two things. Firstly, they have the option of deep striking in any mission, and also they can set up last. Set up is a very important and often overlooked part of the game, and your control over it can change outcomes easily. Especially in a force that mostly runs on foot.

Like their Troops choice peers, FAGK are strong for the abilities that they already come with. Every model is fearless, with strong anti infantry mobile ranged weaponry and powerful CC abilities. Adding special weapons to the squad is generally a waste. For every special weapon you add to the squad you are detracting from the squads abilities, in that you lose a NFW, SB, and true grit. Take for example a Psycannon armed FAGK (or PAGK). This will cost 50pt, the same as 2 normal FAGK, which if you took the two normal PAGK means you would get double the wounds, and quadruple the attacks, S6 attacks rather than S4, and an extra shot. All you are getting is changing 4 S4 AP5 for 3 S6 AP4 (at shorter assault range too), while losing all the others. Incinerators are similar, in that you will usually get 1-2 shots off with them, and you will be in charge range when you do, with a less effective CC squad. Both of these are anti infantry weapons (the psycannon can handle light armour, but not very effectively comparatively speaking), something GK don't need help in eliminating.

So keep your FAGK vanilla (except in specialised lists), take enough to make them effective even with a few wounds down (I find 8 - 10 man good), and enjoy the option of Deep Strike, while enjoying the chance to set up last.

As a side note, in specialised lists (such as Pure GK) with a lack of anti tank options, a small squad with 2 Psycannons can be used as a anti tank platform, by either staying at max heavy range, or Deep Striking behind for rear armour shots.

Grey Knight Dreadnoughts

GKD are very similar to their marine counterparts. They do have the extra point of WS, but still suffer from low amount of attacks and light to medium armour. How you use them will depend on the rest of your list. In a pure DH list with GK, Dread's are one of the best ways you can bring anti tank to the field. Sure WS5 is nice, but every GK is WS5, I've got that sorted. What GK don't have, is access to LC or MLs. That's why the TLLC/ML/EA GKD is extremely effective in providing cover fire for your knights, keeping the machinations of the enemy at bay. With unmatched 48" range and 2 powerful anti tank weapons that can be fired on the move, this is a well utilised machine in the right hands.

The other loadout that is common is the AC/DCCW with possible HF/Incinerator, and always always with EA/Smoke if you take this choice. I usually don't however, as infantry are usually not a problem with me, and I don't like relying on AC for anti armour.

Mixing these two types is not effective, as you'll always be weakening both aspects of its utility while enhancing nothing.

Inducted SM Devastator Squads

These are a godsend to most DH armies, particularly to Radicals. There is no better way of fielding a long range anti tank solution in your army. With multiple strong ablative wounds, up to 4 heavy weapons and 4 choices for each, and ATSKNF, there is just nothing that can compare. The few weaknesses they have are is that they are extremely static, so need a spot that has very good firing lanes and LOS, and are vulnerable to assault due to their high points cost.

Inducted SM Predators

Another great inclusion that complements the DH's lack of long range offensive capabilities. Comparatively to the Devastator squad, we have a mobile unit, but no ablative wounds and easier to target and remove by the enemy.

A large note that it seems all of you missed on the Inducted Leman Russ pie plate dropping powers...they only work 50% of the time.� You may have the tank in a DH army, but its still piloted by the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Guard don't know how to shoot anything properly.� That being said, for their large point cost you'll only be able to utilize it efficiently for half the game, if at all.
The above is not an entirely precise breakdown on the use of a Leman Russ abilty "to hit". It's true the BS of 3 makes them a 50/50 proposition of hitting exactly on target (i.e. placement of the hole in the big blast template). What you fail to go on to describe is that the deviation (1d6) of the Battle Cannon, makes it very likely to still take out more than just a couple models even on said "missed" shot.

I don't think either of you have it quite right. You NEVER roll to-hit with Ordnance, which means it isn't AT ALL affected by BS. You simply place the marker, roll your scatter, and see if anything is under the template. Granted, the BS3 is bad for the sponson and hull weapons (HBs and Lascannons DO use BS), but for the Ordnance it doesn't matter at all.

Archived