My DIY chapter: Doom Bringers

Guilliman

After reading the Chapter Creation Thread and having a look around I've become terrified of the thought of the consequences of posting my IA article here. I've realized I have a LOT to learn about the 40k fluff and I'm ready to make changes in my chapter, especially the dates.

Here we go:

Origins

The oldest documented record mentioning the chapter of the Doom Bringers reaches all the way back to the early centuries after the Horus Heresy;

I believe that the battlecry would make a far more effective motto. For a battlecry, you could go with something like, oh I don't know...uh... "We are the bringers of Death!"

Something like that. Anyway, the fluff is VERY good. I like it. BTW, these guys are loyalist or are they traitor? You could also say that these guys are so stuborn that they won't even ally themselves to the Inquisition cause they killed so many of their people in the Days of Misery. You could also just say that they are reluctant to help anyone becuase of a fear of being backstabbed or something like that.

Anyway, I really like it.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Kasara. I would never think you'd like it that much. I guess I can post my short story "The rise of Tigrit" as well:

In the year 586.M41 the planet and industrial forge world Qentis prime was invaded by genestealers. As the planet was too important to the Imperium a virus bombardment was excluded and it was decided to send imperial troops to planet. Large forces of the Imperial Guard were disembarked on the planet

Why not "We are the bringers of Doom", or simply "We bring DOOM!" or is that too obvious given their name? "We are your doom" is also a possibility, as is more orthodox battle-cries like "for the Emperor" and similar.

I think the timeline is a bit wonky. It seems like the founding was a LONG time ago and that they have continued their cloning practices until quite recent times, at least during the last millennium. Even so the nature of the cloning accident has already been forgotten? I think maybe you should place the accident further back in time so it has time to be properly forgotten and especially since the inquisition probably wouldn't have let it continue for this long anyway. Cloning is the work of heretics like Fabius Bile (AKA the Clonelord). The dreadnoughts and terminator suits could still be painted in the darker colours and also some of the older suits of power armour. Power armour is incredibly durable unless it's destroyed outright.

About their colours, the "days of misery" scheme is basically the colour of the 1st company right? And the "original" scheme is what most of the tactical marines would have by now? Just asking :tu:

I think the timeline is a bit wonky. It seems like the founding was a LONG time ago and that they have continued their cloning practices until quite recent times, at least during the last millennium. Even so the nature of the cloning accident has already been forgotten? I think maybe you should place the accident further back in time so it has time to be properly forgotten and especially since the inquisition probably wouldn't have let it continue for this long anyway. Cloning is the work of heretics like Fabius Bile (AKA the Clonelord). The dreadnoughts and terminator suits could still be painted in the darker colours and also some of the older suits of power armour. Power armour is incredibly durable unless it's destroyed outright.

It says the Days of Misery occured centuries after the Horus Heresy not millenia, but perhaps I should be more precise about the dates.

About their colours, the "days of misery" scheme is basically the colour of the 1st company right? And the "original" scheme is what most of the tactical marines would have by now? Just asking :wacko:

Right. Except for a few veteran sergeants and random marines.

Any ideas about where I should locate their planet? I have no clue which races live where, but they were saved by Ultramarines before their founding. So perhaps close to Ultramar? Which commonly met races would that result in?

And about their gene-seed... Was it possible to use the gene-seed from Ortiux or did they have to be given a new one from Mars?

I'll consider the battlecry as well.

Some more fluff:

The bolter, the scythe and the laurel

The first sight when arriving to the fortress monastery on Oridiux is the three symbols on the doorway carved into the face of the rock. It is the bolter, the laurel and the scythe

Having just read the Rise of Tigrit, the death of the Broodlord is somewhat unbelievable. Howabout, he grabbed the Broodlord's fist before it hit Sinon and his strength was such that it ripped it off. In that time he grabbed Sinon's scythe and ripped off it's head to get a autokill (the scythe of the chapter master adds two to his strength and is held by Tigrit's powerfist and driven into the Broodlord's head causing it to die immediatly).

They would have to make their own geneseed as every other chapter. The founder, Ortiux, must have been a space marine (but from which legion/chapter?) so he would have geneseed that could be cultivated. When they cloned him his clone would not have been a marine with implants and all, he would have to have those implanted (duh =), so when they were forced to start recruiting they would have as much as any other chapter, perhaps quite a lot more since they were guaranteed successfull implantees in the past.

It says the Days of Misery occured centuries after the Horus Heresy not millenia, but perhaps I should be more precise about the dates.
In that case it's a bit strange that "Tigrit" is still alive from that time since the HH was about ten thousand years ago. Even counting low he should be over eight thousand years old by now...

In that case it's a bit strange that "Tigrit" is still alive from that time since the HH was about ten thousand years ago. Even counting low he should be over eight  thousand years old by now...

Yes I realized that a few days ago as well and I should really change that. But how old can a space marine really become? Cassius is 400 right?

In that case it's a bit strange that "Tigrit" is still alive from that time since the HH was about ten thousand years ago. Even counting low he should be over eight  thousand years old by now...

Yes I realized that a few days ago as well and I should really change that. But how old can a space marine really become? Cassius is 400 right?

UM up to around 450-500 I think. BA 800-1000. SW I think is around 750. That's all I can remember. Yeah, Dante is the oldest chapter master presently (I think it was 1212 years old).

Cassius is 400 and is getting old by now, though his prowess hasn't decreased apparently. He is an Ultramarine and so he's probably a sort of "benchmark" for old marines. I think 600 is probably about the oldest an Ultramarine can realistically (or whatever :cuss) get. Others, like the Blood Angels, can get even older but since most marines get killed in battle anyway it's usually not an issue.

Dreadnoughts is a completely different thing though, fluffwise it seems that once interred you'll become virtually immortal unless you get a lascannon in the sarcophagi :cuss

Cassius is 400 and is getting old by now, though his prowess hasn't decreased apparently. He is an Ultramarine and so he's probably a sort of "benchmark" for old marines. I think 600 is probably about the oldest an Ultramarine can realistically (or whatever :cuss) get. Others, like the Blood Angels, can get even older but since most marines get killed in battle anyway it's usually not an issue.

Dreadnoughts is a completely different thing though, fluffwise it seems that once interred you'll become virtually immortal unless you get a lascannon in the sarcophagi :cuss

That is true of most things dead and alive my friend. Dreadnoughts actually live older than marines, but can die within in the sarcophigi even not in battle. malfunctions may end up getting the poor guy killed.

Nice background. Shows a lot of thought put into it. Would like to see pics of the two schemes side by side on the tabletop. And great story to explain different colour scheme.Adds a DA type of tragedy to your chapter.Maybe use penitent type traits also?

By careful of Rogue Trader,he may claim you as a follower of his GriefBringers as he did with my TearBringers...............hey lets have a Fortress of the Bringers!! No entry without a bottle of Terran wine!

By careful of Rogue Trader,he may claim you as a follower of his GriefBringers as he did with my TearBringers

:lol: I only mentioned the startling similarity in chapter symbols... but you can feel free to claim sucession from the GBs if you really want ^_^

hey lets have a Fortress of the Bringers!! No entry without a bottle of Terran wine!

Now that's the best idea I've heard all day ^_^

Back on topic...

Some interesting ideas, but I'm not really keen on the whole cloning thing, I have to say. After the disasters suffered by the Raven Guard in the wake of the Istvaan Massacre when they attempted to use cloning techniques, it would be either a brave or foolhardy chapter master indeed that would sanction such desperate measures...

Close to ultramar you could probably bump into pretty much every major race. The Tau worlds are close by, chaos is everywhere and the maelstrom is pretty close, the Eldar probably have a craftworld somewhere there or at least some maiden worlds, orks are everywhere, tyranids are everywhere etc etc.

I don't know if this is allowed on this forum...

But here's a link to a very good site with a 40K Galaxy Map and Planet index...

You could have a look if you find a planet or sector you like...

Home: http://www.darkmillennia.net/

Map: http://www.darkmillennia.net/galaxy_map.htm

Planets: http://www.darkmillennia.net/QuadrantMap_p.../GMapIndex2.htm

Greetz Bart

Thanks for the link Gloin. ;)

As for the clones...

After reading the IA article about Raven Guard I get the impression that the problem was that Corax wanted to speed up the recruting process. Am I right? So wasn't there more than one way to clone marines, safer ways? If not, perhaps a good way to keep the cloning thing in my fluff is that Ortiux wanted to speed up the process to get revenge on the orks more quickly.

"Dooooom" is a pretty good battlecry actually. It could both refer to their enemies doom or their own. Just like Sinon used to say:

"Though it may be difficult for you fledglings to understand, there is nothing we elders desire more than peace in death. But before it can come to pass, doom must first come to those first that wish destruction to all that our ancestors ever fought for."

I realized I had missed your post about "The rise of Tigrit" Kasara. You're not the only one to have mentioned that detail as well, though my friend was bothered that a terminator would be able to catch something moving that fast (he refered to the game rules as well).

Archived