Tournament Guide

ironloki

I had started this before the B&C meltdown and was wondering if I could call upon your sage advice once again :ph34r:

Im wanting to get a mini-tactica/guide for people going to attend tournaments especially newbies who are thinking of attending. This is to go along with the marine tactica hopefully. So I was wondering if anyone would like to pop in any advice/information that someone would require.

- What should they expect? is the atmosphere different from friendly games? Is it not for everyone or can anyone have fun?

- What are the different types of tournaments (i.e. RT's etc) (How do they vary, what are the general points limits)

- What should they bring? (Pencil, paper,army list, dice? measuring tape? bluetac for repairing minis?)

- Any other general tips?

Any tips you all have would be great and at the end i'll try, unless someone else wants to, pop it into a nice and easily accesable format for people to use

Great idea Iron Loki! (Is it me or are you seriously all over this kind of stuff?)

I'm going to be attending my first Tournament in September (Conflict Toronto) and maybe a Conflict Ottawa in June. I've never attended a tournament before, and I sure would love some tips / pointers / general idea of what's going down.

Expect proffessionals, especially in tourniments that cost money to enter. This is generally a good thing. You get a mature, fun group with well designed, commanded, and painted armies. Watch out for the occasional bad sports though.

I don't have a great deal of expirience with different types of tournys, but there are generally two types I've found. The first are more casual store/local tourniments. The only factor per se is winning, though there might be limited scoring based on other factors (painting, sportsmanship, etc.) In more proffesional settings, winning will rely quite a bit on sportsmanship, composition and the like, so bring your best army, and be on your best behavoir (though one should always do this :ph34r: ). The general points limits I've found for 40k are 1500, 1700, and 1850.

Definately bring stuff to fix up your models, spare models, bring a spare army list (I found this one the hard way), and pencil and paper are a must. Also, they might want you to bring objective markers, terrain, etc. Check the tourny rules.

Thats all for now.

As a now regurlar attender of the UK Tournament sence I can say this

You will see some of the most sick, beardy and down right wrong army lists ever

On the Plus side you will see some of the most beautifully painted armies along with 95% of the other generals being a complete laugh. the kind of people that you can kick sencless and then go into Bugmans and have a nice chat and pint with

On the subject on what to bring Multipule copies of your army list can be good (I bring a copy for every round) this way you can go through your list after each game and figure out by writing on your list the VP's. Also here is a good one. You can NEVER have to many Dice, Bring spare Templates (always useful).

As for points Sizes the GT's in GB are always 1,500pts (40K) or yo can attend Conflict which is now a Doubles Tournament (Combat Patrol Armies only)

"- What should they expect? is the atmosphere different from friendly games? Is it not for everyone or can anyone have fun?"
The tournament event I find is great & fun. You meet new friends as well as old & there tons of cool armies there. As for anyone it depend, as you get some people who moan about tournaments yet they have never enter. It not really for the bad lossing type who will moan after the tournament just because they loss to a few armies.

Also one more thing, some tournaments will have age like UK GT is 16+, Conflicts are 12+. With the UK GT this is mainly to do with the amount beer there & just helth & saftey.

But I would recommend going to a tournament to anyone.

"- What are the different types of tournaments (i.e. RT's etc) (How do they vary, what are the general points limits)"

There is:

Uk Grand Tournaments heats/finials: You MUST make top 50 in 1 off the 3 heeats (can only enter one) & you get a free ticket to the finials). Points will be 1500pts for 40k.

Conflicts: Local event that run throught out the UK, the very first one being in Scotland back in 2001 :) I was in the White Dwarf. Any way these are small events to give you a teaste for the tournament life. Points where 1500, then went to 1000 due to time reason for the event & now they are doubles (400 x2 = 800) where you go with a friend.

Doubles: There is also the double tournament, basicly 40k in 40 but you are useing 800... well it you & a friend & you got to rely on team work.

As for other contery I can not say.

"- What should they bring? (Pencil, paper,army list, dice? measuring tape? bluetac for repairing minis?)"
Bring all the basicly like: Codex, Rule book, Dice, Temp, super glue, (2x) army list, your background, pen, somthing to add up score. And off course your Army that it painted, 3 colour min, make sure there WYSIWYG. Do not worry if your not the world best painter as you will still get score (UK GT I Know) if you have 3 colours min.

"- Any other general tips?"

Just have fun really, your there to get some great games. Sure myself dose like to win but it mean nothing if I have not learnt anything, I alway learn from the win or loss on why this or that happen. Also it great meeting up with people.

Pick a army that you like the models & know that can do well. Make sure it has a great amount of Long range fire power (botgh anti tank & hordes), close combat & mobltiy to gain objects & table sides.

Also if you enter the UK GT, it held in Warhammer World the HQ of all GWness. So go to bugman bar as during events I notice they have a lot hot girls working the bar :ph34r:

Last thing: For those entering the UK GTs this year, just to note there going to be a FQA with a few things just to do with rules. Like if a Land Speeder "deep strike" they count as moving the full 24 inch & there for may not shot. That is just but one exsample among many that will be in the FQA.

Well to those entering the UK GT heats 1 I will see you there, look out for the IW pred with a Crusifed Ultramarine on the front ;)

IP

Great idea Iron Loki! (Is it me or are you seriously all over this kind of stuff?)

I try my bit and it would be nice to get some more community projects together. Hope the people here can give you some ideas of what your getting into ^_^ .

Great stuff so far folks lots of info. Some additional questions - what are marks assigned to (% wise if possible)? Sportsman? painting? winning most games?

How long do most Tourney's go on for? Should you bring your own food or does it depend on the location.

Do you get time to relax or do you jump from table to table after each round?

Generally when you create an army list you keep to certain factors such as even numbers to maximise your armies potential but could you bring along a "fluffy" army and expect to go far?

Keep up the great work

i would really like to see B&C tournement. possibly even a campaign for just B&C members.

i know we are generally an internation bunch, but we can have area tournements etc.

i also know that some poor soul has to organise it all, and i wouldnt be able to, so i also know its an unlikely thing to occur, but i can dream cant i!

I used to be a veteran Tourneyist from 2000 to 2004, so I can give my impression of things and some tips.

The first point as aptly put by Arakis, which is expect professionals. At the very least understand that people who go to play in tourneys tend to enjoy the head-to-head competition and being able to play different people in a truly competitive realm. That being said, you're more likely to meet good players and bad players, good sports and bad sports.

In the same vein, understand that the armies you will be facing can be anything under the sun but primarily focus on killing power and optimization. Everyone thinks they build killer lists to post onto the forums, but these are armylists designed, tested, and pared down to score consistently well in composition, playability, and effectiveness for that particular region i.e. if there is a consistent Tyranid crowd that shows up for tourneys, players will tailor their list to include more swarm-killing.

Tournament armies are a mixed bag for presentation. On one end, there are the clean, but bare-bones paint jobs. On the other is the guy who shows up to take up best painted or best army awards all the time. It's very easy for a first time tourneyist to go and be intimidated by the veterans who have scenic display bases, White Dwarf level of painting, and can pick out the bitz on your conversions by part number ^_^

The second advice about Tournaments is to understand what kind of tourney you're going to. Here in the States, you have local clubs who run a tourney for King of the Hill effect, you have ladder systems, Rogue Trader Tournaments (RTT), Adepticon Gladiator tourneys, GTs, etc. A store tournament, I believe is a good place to start and will network you with a fair amount of people who you will likely meet, play, and hobby with for a while. AdeptusWindyCity and Adepticon was started in such a fashion.

If you have zero aspirations of attending the big and crazy tournaments, then pick a format you're comfortable with. When you jump into the big ones head first, you will be surprised at how competitive

people are and can be put off right away. In fact, a lot of newbies jump in and feel that they got matched with a couple of Cheese players or rules lawyers when a lot of the time it's that they don't have a firm grasp of the nuances of play. That being said, there are judges present to help mediate so don't feel like you HAVE to accept the opponent's interpretations.

If you DO want to be some kind of GT King, then start at the RTTs because they will have a higher caliber of competition and I think where you can really learn the most about your army and your composition. once you understand how the judging works and how to best use your list, you can start preparing the killer army for GTs.

That being said, You should learn what to expect and what prerequisites go into the tournament. A gladiator tournament hosted by Adepticon is a no-holds barred tourney where the lists are super-hard, throw balance

to the wind in favor of kicking a lot of ass. An RTT on the otherhand will have a checks/balance system that tends to not only favor a seemingly balanced list but also one most truthful to the army (Judges' Points). A Tau Failsafe Device Banzai Commander will probably be not as true as a reckless Warboss Speedfreak.

Tournaments take time and effort. I went to my first one with a 1500pt 14 powerfist SW rhino rush army, started at 8am and ended at 10pm for 5 games. There are breaks in between, but if that's too much gaming for you, opt for something smaller. Ask in advance about local dining, areas to stow your gear or lie down if you're tired, if you're allowed to bring food/drinks. For example, one shop let us bring sandwiches and beer, the other which was at a very public hobby store did not because 1) they had minors who would be entering the store 2) a local agreement with local shops/stores to promote business.

Personally, I think everyone who games should try a tourney so at least you can see what other people are up to in the hobby. If it's not for you then at least you can say you did it. Now for some nuances:

-read the rules and FAQs and know them better than the back of your hand, constant flipping through books will not only annoy your opponent, but also significantly slow down the game...you can theoretically lose because of running out of time at the last moment yet still have the superior force on the table

-background fluff will often be used to justify army composition

-bring multiple copies of your "prepared list" with points broken down, units, wargear, etc. handwritten lists will be asked to redo it all and are often an area of scrutiny since it is very easy to cheat by adding an extra piece of wargear when needed

-WYSIWYG, to avoid as much confusion as possible, model it as it is; failing that always explain before the match starts any peculiarities ("the power mace is a thunder hammer because the piece broke and I have

no glue")

-when you lose, ask your opponent to critique your playing or your list. You didn't lose on accident, they can likely tell you how to step it up for next time

-if you play multiple tournaments, be prepared to make changes to accomodate your evolving play style

-after a lot of play, you will be associated with your army, that guy with the Iyanden Force, or 2 Chaplain Blood Angels army, or Deathskull Speed Freaks.

Finally, just stick it out. You might be 1-3 and unlucky all day, but

just enjoy the tournament and prepare for next time.

Great stuff so far folks lots of info. Some additional questions - what are marks assigned to (% wise if possible)? Sportsman? painting? winning most games?
UK GT wise:

Generalship:

0-120 points

win-loss

Draw: 10-10

Marginal Victory: 13-7

Major Victory: 17-3

Massacre 20-0*

A massacre can also be given if your oppnet "give up"

Knowledge

0-20

This is a 3 min test where you tick a box out of a few chaose, this is a "close book". You will get qustion such as "What is the Tau word for spoon"

Sport man

0-20

If you are a complete git then you can get take points away like so

round:

1-2 nothing taken away

3: -5 from tota

4: -10

5: -15

6: -20 from total.

You are there for fun. As said in past post sure I like to win but I alway like both me & my oppnet to have a good game full of challege.

Painting/character

0-40

Break down is

+7 for Roster/army list

+6 for theme, basicly a 200-600 word eassy on your force & what make them them.

+7 WYSIWYG, basicly all models have what you said they got on the army list.

+7 painting, need 3 colour min

+7 Base. Base need be done with flock or sand..etc

+6 Detail, like highlights, dry brushing, shading.

How long do most Tourney's go on for? Should you bring your own food or does it depend on the location

UK GT: They supple food for you as part of the prce of ticket. Thought you need buy your own drink... unless a kind oppnet buy you a pint ^_^ Thought say your a Veg you got to say on the retune part on the ticket. There great food from the Space Marines meal... that is one of the best meal I had, you also get dinner on the Sat as well. As for how long it gose on for 2 days, Sat & Sun with 6 rounds.

Conflicts: There usely food supple there as well but you need to pay for it. There 3 rounds & it only gose on for A day.

Yes, yes you do. You get 15min to about a hour break.

Generally when you create an army list you keep to certain factors such as even numbers to maximise your armies potential but could you bring along a "fluffy" army and expect to go far?

Go with a force you like & what will do good, just make sure there Long Range fire power, close combat elment (make sure there rock hard) & mobilty. I go for 6 Oblits in my Iron Warriors army 1: because I alway like Oblit & they do serve me well & 2: I can chose deep strike them if need be which is great.

Just the best thing to do is make a army list & play test the hell out of it. I can come up with over 100 diffrent ways to get the best out of a army list BUT how do I know if they will work. You can give 10 people the same list detail by detail, yet none them will use it the same. Some will do great whicl some can do poo, but all them should come up with there own tactics.

On that note, try to max out on your army strength as well, but keep in mind you will also suffer some weakness. If something dose will try take more than one off that "work well squad/unit"

Also just to point out a "Pure Grey Knight" army will do terrible. They lack mobilty, anti tank fire power, from my experince it only taken me Two turns to wipe a Grey Knight force out. Other than that all armies do have there + & - as said strength & weakness.

IP

As my good friend Insane has said I would go with a force you like your there to have fun

I personally went to this years GT Finals using my Templars and got my butt handed to me by no less that three opponents but then again thats what a 9 turn escelation will do to a Fully mounted army

- What should they expect? is the atmosphere different from friendly games? Is it not for everyone or can anyone have fun?
Some of the differences of atmosphere between a tournament and open gaming that I see would include:

- Much larger crowds (Rogue Trader Tournaments seem to always fill the game stores past "comfortable" levels)

- A "festival" atmosphere as there is so much to see and do (armies to drool over, forms to fill out)

- During a game, a rigorous focus on the play at hand. In part due to time, and in part due to importance in the tournament

- That rigorous focus also translates to an increased intolerance to any perceived lack of focus such as wandering off for snacks or to see how a buddy is doing at his table

- Socializing with your opponent is usually fine and a great deal of the fun, just don't allow it to delay the game

As to having fun - like anything what you get out of it depends on what you bring to it. Some of my favorite games that I still remember and chuckle over have been games lost at tournaments. Others have been games I won. So clearly, the winning and losing were not the most important parts of the game. The Rogue Trader format really emphasises a good time playing over the need to crush the opponent at any cost. I have been taking my son since he was 12 to compete on his own, in part, for the experience of being graded on his sportsmanship.

- What are the different types of tournaments (i.e. RT's etc) (How do they vary, what are the general points limits)

Most of my experience, is in the independant stores. So that means either completely unofficial events where the only requirement is how many points are to be brought and what rules will be used, and any prizes are in terms of store credit - or the more structured Rogue Trader (RT) events which are registered with GW though not hosted by GW. I find the RT events to be great fun. They are based upon GW's five-point gamer's bill of rights and so far these rights have always been evident. They are:

1. Have lots of fun and meet new people.

2. Battle against other painted armies.

3. Have any disputes or questions settled by polite, impartial judges.

4. Have the event organized and run in a timely manner.

5. Play in a reasonably comfortable environment.

Standing in a RTT usually is based on:

Battle Points (how well you did in the game and agreed upon by opponent)

Sportsmanship Points (given to you by your opponent)

Theme Points (seems this is often in format of "How well did your opponent's army represent their race")

Appearance Points (given by judges - the three color rule is usually enough to get full points here in many events - it is more important that the armies be painted than they be works of art)

Seems all the RTT events I have been in are based on three rounds for the day.

There are also GW events, but the GW stores are too far away and I have not yet played in a Grand Tournament which are two-day events. One nice part of a good RT event is that it only requires one day of time.

- What should they bring? (Pencil, paper,army list, dice? measuring tape? bluetac for repairing minis?)
Their army - first and foremost. Sounds basic, but there is no worse feeling than realizing a unit has been left behind at the painting station and playing the day without them. The corollary is also true - don't bring a bunch of minis that are not part of your army list for this event.

Pencil and paper (I bring a notebook and pen), yes, definately. Also templates for weapons, dice, measuring sticks and/or tape measures. Bluetac and superglue are also fairly essential. My minis look as if they have been in a war by the time they come home - heads have been removed from marines, speeders have been dropping parts each round, that last dice roll knocked off the hurricane sponson (really!) from my LRC.

Also water is a must have for events in my opinion. As is some sort of tray or box to carry your army from table to table - you don't want to pack them back into your army box to carry them 30 feet and set up again quickly. Comfortable shoes since you will be standing all day (although at my age maybe a folding stool should be considered) :).

I bring an army list for at least each round to give to my opponent. Somethig I am going to add is a bit of background fluff in the form of "intercepted communications" that perhaps their army received to let them know why the =I= is there or why we do what we do.

Also rules, codex and any relevant FAQs or rules clarifications you might want to need. If you can't show me why you think my understanding of the rule is incorrect, then we will roll dice over the interpretation of the rule. If you have a marked page in yor codex you can turn to in a second, or a FAQ mentioning my confusion, then thanks for clarifying and you are right and lets get back to the game.

- Any other general tips?

KNOW YOUR RULES! You don't need to know every rule, but time is precious and if you have to go search your codex each time to move a unit, then I am becoming unhappy.

Play the army before the tournament. Play somehow, and some way. If you have new speeders then you want the experience of watching them shot down by basic troops enough times to learn how to use them effectively BEFORE you get to the tournament. Know your army.

Play the scenario you receive. Each game is different and its not all about just blowing up the enemy. Battle points are not the most important factor, but if you are serious then you should know what you need to do to get the most points befoe turn one in each game.

Bring a well-painted army. The first victory on the battlefield occurs before any dice are rolled - when you and your oppenent see each other's armies for the first time. If your army looks better than his, you have the edge already.

Finish painting the army a couple days before the event at least. Sorry, I have to add this one for my own sake. It seems i am always painting something or basing something the morning of the event and feeling rushed.

Get rest the night before (eg, don't stay up all night painting). Playing your best in three fast-paced games in one day will push your mental endurance to the limit. Likewise, eat ell before hand and avoid the candy and soda - when your blood sugar drops, your brain gets the brunt of the effect first.

How long do most Tourney's go on for? Should you bring your own food or does it depend on the location.
I bring snacks, but plan to get away for lunch. High protein snacks are best in my opinion to avoid the crash from sugar. The one exception is that usually for the last game I will indulge in a high-caffeine drink if I have two wins goign into that round - my mental exhaustion is usually quite significant by that time, and if I have a chance at winning all the games, I will resort to an energy drink or coffee to regain my mental clarity for the last game.

Time to relax? No I wouldn't say there is that much time. ^_^ There is time to chat for a minute and get to the table ok. If you need to do repairs, get the game started and repair during your opponents turn (make use you leave a marker on the table if you need to pick something up).

I like keeping my armies at 40%+ troops for army composition, and not soaking too much of the remainder into any other one sort of unit. This gives a good, representational army in my opinion and lets the marines be the backbone as they should be. That said, my units are almost always even numbers since it is a smart way to do it - fire support squads are six-man, while the rhino units that need to be in the thick of it are 8-10 men. I think the "fluffy army or not for tournaments" issue is one that is answered by the question, "how important is winning the game to you?" For me, I like the challenge of adapting to my opponents and whenever possible to let them fight in me something they have never fought before. This is why I am considering a Radical DH army since nobody plays them, it doesn't have great chances, but played correctly could be a bunch of fun.

Thanks Loki for your work in this - I hope this helps.

I have only attended 4 tournaments, ranging from in-store to large scale 1500 point weekend do's. I have some pointers for those wanting to go.

-Remember your sense of humour. Not everyone you will play has one. :)

-DO NOT bring a rubber tape measure. The best way to make everyone hate you.

-Always be clear on what dice you are rolling and for what. Oh, and don't pick them up beofre your opponent can see them, it looks shonky.

-Know your codex. I don't expect everyone to know mine, but when they stuff up their own rules it is a bit dodgy.

-Play to win, sure. If you win, be a good sport about it. If you are being hammered, take it with a bit of grace. We all have those games...

I have two tourneys in the next two weeks. I do worry that I will be up against someone who has the 'wina at any cost' mentality. I can handle them, but they sure take the fun out of the game.

RoV

Same here I've got the Essex Civil War event in a couple of Weeks time then two Weeks after that the one Tournament were no one takes winning Seriously

THE BLOOD BOWL

Oh and if attending a 40K Tournament a Good little nice to have would be the Wargear Book, not sure what your opponent is using and want to check it up without asking to borrow his Codex? Look in the Wargear book

Having been to around half a dozen tournaments, here are my experiences.

1. Make sure you have everything. Dice, measuring tape, templates, rulebooks (including Codices), and multiple copies of your army list. I like to print out one copy of my list for each opponent, plus one for myself which I also use to record my results and such. A quick tip: many people don't like Army Builder list printouts (especially v2.x ones, not so sure about v3 since I haven't seen them around) since they are hard to read. Try typing one in Word in a fairly simple format, much better IMHO.

Oh, and don't forget your army :unsure:
  2. Know your rules! Nothing worse than having an opponent who needs to check his Codex for the stats of a bolter.
  3. Be prepared to meet all kinds of people, fitting all kinds of stereotypes...
  4. Be polite to your opponent, treat them as if they're your girlfriend's parents or something. Shake their hand, introduce yourself clearly, and try to remember their name. Some people call this sucking up, I just call it manners.
  5. It can get quite intimidating sometimes. Every tournament I've been to, people seperate into groups, whether they're from clubs or if they just know each other from somewhere, so it pays to know someone beforehand to prevent any awkwardness. If not, it's quite handy to attempt to talk to people whom you've played in the earlier rounds, find out how they've gone and such. In short: get to know the people there. This may be a competition, but it's a very social game.
  6. As a general rule: if it's likely to cause an arguement, avoid it. This includes things like rule bending/nitpicking, double standards, etc. Similarly, it always pays to figure out possible rules problems before the game; for example, the height of a particular terrain object, or a possible grey area in your army's rules.
  7. Bring your own lunch, food at tournament venues are often expensive (and bad) if available at all.
  8. Don't be disappointed if your scores aren't perfect. Personally, when I mark my opponent's sportsmanship/composition (note that not all tournaments have peer-marked sports/comp), I generally start in the middle and add/subtract marks if necessary. Thus your average player should get a mathematically average mark. Anything above that is a bonus.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure everyone else has covered more ground than me, but that's my tuppence anyway...

A tournament is usually still a fun event to attend. There are some bad apples, but generally the people you're most likely to run into will be friendly.

RTTs are less formal and rigid than the Grand Tournament/Games Day RTT, although the latter has more freedom of army choice as it tends to not include composition scoring. This is the important point, to be prepared for some truly ecclectic lists.

All of the above, though I'd suggest super glue for repairing figures. Blue tac will look awful, and you're being judged on appearance. However, it has its uses in a WFB tournament, so you can tack your figures down to their regiment base and have them not keep falling around.

A means to carry the army easily is also nice. You don't want to pack and unpack it all the time. Something scenic is best, as it leaves a lasting impression on your opponent.

There is a lot of good advice here.

A few quick notes:

At RTTs the space is often limited do to game store size and the tables available, so be sure to call ahead and reserve a spot.

Bring the necessities. Sounds basic, but you would be surprised how many people forget tape measurers (sharing a tape measurer is my pet peeve) and most people don

Okay, well I think most of it has been covered but I think as a prologue you should ahve somethings that you should do before going to a RTT or especially an HoH. First read the rules, understand the rules, forums like these are great to help with that. Second of all have a decent knowledge about your army and ahve all the cheatsheets on hand along with dice measuring tape(or red stick), dice and templates on hand, it makes you look alot more pro. Most of all have a good attitude, there is nothing worse then a new gamer who thinks he is all that and flips out when he loses and wont accept advice as he thinks he is better than you.

On your first time, don't set yourself a high target, such as finishing in the top three. Instead, just play and enjoy the experiance, that way you have nothing to lose and any wins are a bonus.

Next time round aim to better your last result, if all goes well, you'll be a champ in no time :wub:

One more tip I should add in here.

40k rule book. You would be best getting "The Battle for Macragge " box set, the reason being is that you get a easy to carry around Rule book (+ some Marines). Just it is a lot better than carry the BIG rule book around.

So just little tip, keep the BIG rule book for home use, while the small rule book from The Battle for Macragge can be easy to carry.

Also to anyone entering the UK GT heat 1, guess I will see you there.

IP

OK, so for those of us who have experience with RTT events but not GT events, what are the main differences between the two events in:

- how to prepare?

- what to expect?

- tolerance of younger players?

The main difference is really the lack of composition scoring, and the smaller army lists (at least at the GD tournies). I think younger players are tolerated, especially in the UK GT, as they've had to get past a heat to get in there. The composition difference is THE difference. Army lists will push the boundaries, and you need to understand that. However, in Warhammer with the small armies you're seeing a lack of Lord characters or really nasty things like the Hellcannon, and big monsters (such as Dragons) are more rare due to the lack of points. Warhammer becomes less hero-oriented despite the lack of composition, while 40K tens more toward the power-items.

I'll be taking part in conflict north here in the UK, which is a doubles thing of 400points

Now my question goes out to anybody who has been to a conflict tournament....

It mentions the conflict painting competition, what exactly happens here? Only conflict armies judged? Open to everyone? Are there different categories?

Any explanation will help me out a bunch as I'm currently in the proccess of painting up my force.

It

mentions the conflict painting competition, what exactly happens here? Only conflict armies judged? Open to everyone? Are there different categories?

What one do you mean as there

+ Best paint army: After set round armies are to be set up & ready for judge by the GW ref/judgeies. A GW staffer will come along with camera IF you are up for the x number best painted.

+ Golden Grot: Basicly this is a painting thing, like the Golden Daemon. Anyone from tournament gamers to watch may enter. It must be a already painted model by you. It just like Goldne Daemon relly.

IP

Ah so theres 2 different types of competitions available to me :)

The golden grot thingy, I'm guessing theres different sections for fantasy 40k and lotr but within these are there other sections like tank, large scale model, squad, single mini ?

thanks for the info I can now start considering other entries :P

Commander Biguss Brutus: As said the army one will be for those who have enter the tournament it self. If you are playing in it, best luck :)

As for Golden Grto as said that open to all both T player & just those who are to watch, check your local GW for more detail.

I forgot one more thing, bring a camera. Just there are so many cool armies & it is a shame very little photos are taken of the events & these great armies... it not only that but some armies can offer so much idears... which you can easly forget... unless you have a photo.

IP

Archived