First post here! IA: St. Damien's Wrath.

ale0x

It's an interesting idea - it's certainly original, and a nice take on the theme that they're grateful for having their homeworld destroyed. The old-fashioned biblical theme is also a fairly original one.

I'm not too sold on the name, but it's up to you, I suppose - I prefer 'Retributors'

Has Phaeroxis' monodominant creed infiltrated the chapter philosophy or affected their combat doctrine?

I agree, very interesting ideas! And biblical bad ass is fun :jaw: A couple of things ...

Isn't the Deathwatch like the militant arm of the Hereticus? Since the Deathwatch can appear at any place in the galaxy by getting volunteers from any Chapter nearby then would they need a full Chapter at the their bidding?

the Retributors pledged their fealty to the Holy Order of the Inquisition ... as a sign of gratitude to the Inquisitor that destroyed their homeworld.

Wow! I can understand the reasoning for this statement but it just jumped out at me anyway. I'm not sure if it needs more explaining though.

Otherwise, show some pics! B)

Actually, Deathwatch works with the Ordo Xenos.

Basically, I wanted to play a Witchhunter themed army but I hate Sisters and I wanted to take Marines, so I run a Space Marine list + WH allies. :jaw:

As for the homeworld/gratitude thing, I thought it was a nice example of the skewed extremist philosophy that Damien did them a favor by destroying their planet.

B)

I think it has some merit, but the whole pleding alligence to the Inquisitor and saying he was a Living Saint doesn't come across to me. I think a chapter would be rather annoyed that an Inq just killed their planet without consulting them first. If the chapter did accept the punishment of the planet, I don't think they would be thankful for it. I don't know how to describe what I think they would feel, but a sort of understanding of what the person did, but a low hatred of them too. To become a Living Saint, it would mean the Chapter would have had to believe the Emperor was a god, which many chapters don't.

The strong connection to the Inquisitor is good, but maybe more as a tool then a comrade. After rigourous screening, the marines where found to be pure, but sent on a pennance, The Inq. now watches them closely, and what better way to watch a chapter then to use them. It could give an undertone of hate to your chapter for their "masters".

On a side note, I prefer the old name to the new one, it seems more Marine'y.

Ferrata

Good feedback.

The whole gratitude thing is at the very core of my chapter, however. Being of Imperial Fists descent, they already have a masochistic self-punishing streak...being of Black Templar descent they are incredibly zealous. To fail in defending their planet from chaos (basically the worst transgression a chapter could make, save for becoming corrupted themselves) they have utterly failed as marines, in their eyes. The Inquisitor who purged the planet spared them the grief of doing it themselves with orbital bombardments, and in a sense re-forged them with a new purpose. I'm sure there was a moment of hatred, then...but it quickly turned to a solemn sense of admiration. The direct, uncompromising and merciless nature of Phaeroxis' actions is to be respected. Willpower and integrity are two things the chapter places alot of emphasis on; seeing what needs to be done and doing it, without hesitation or remorse.

The Living Saint title I suppose should be declared by the Ecclesiarchy, rather than the Marines. However, a few thousand years of working hand-in-hand with the Inquisition (SUPER puritan aspects of the Inquisition, no less) would influence their thinking, and as I have it now they basically deify the Emperor, rather than simply aknowledging him as the greatest human (as do most other chapters.) The Emperor's "ascension" is proof to them of his divinity, etc. So, as it stands, we'll say that Damien was canonized by the Ecclesiarchy, but his sainthood was aknowledged by the chapter.

Any more comments would be greatly appreciated :P

I like it quite a bit.

What kind of philosophy did your chapter have before the purge? Were they previously Hereticus-influenced?

Also, the whole Living saint thing....I don't know about that. Seems doubtful to me that mere Chaplins would be able to canonize someone who is still alive....I think it would take someone higher up than that.

What kind of philosophy did your chapter have before the purge? Were they previously Hereticus-influenced?

The Ordo Hereticus wasn't around before the Age of Apostasy.

Ale0x - Perhaps he was canonised after his death? It works better than the living saint. Perhaps also consider Sons/Scions of St. Damien, as that fits better with the normally accepted structure of Space Marine names.

Yeah, agreed about the Chaplains/canonizing thing. Ecclesiarchal officials were responsible, then. His status as a living saint, then, was awarded before the purge itself, most likely for his actions during the widespread rebellions of the Age of Apostasy. Basically, for me to use the name "St. Damien" in the chapter name, he had to be a saint at the time of the chapter's reformation, since they wouldnt have waited 200 years or whatever for him to die before changing their name.

As for the name "St. Damien's Wrath" itself, I've been using it for a good long while now (started out in Dawn of War, heh) and unfortunately I don't think I'll be changing it. Its a bit unconventional in terms of syntax, but I think it still works and I don't think its clumsy or anything like that.

The philosophy of the pre-purge Retributors? Basically a Black Templar-style fervor and Imperial Fists stubbornness. Tasked with the defense of shrine worlds along the Pacificus pilgrim routes, which they took VERY seriously, as these sites are some of the holiest places in the Imperium. Uncompromising when dealing with enemies of the Imperium. Firm believers that an enemy is not to be considered defeated until it is completely and thoroughly eradicated, or has lost any feasible means of continuing to fight.

There have been several encounters with Eldar over the course of the chapters history, as well as continued skirmishes with terror cells of the Alpha Legion and crusading Word Bearers warbands. A seperated splinter of Hive Fleet Leviathan (or was it Kraken? Gotta ask the guy at my store who plays 'em :jaw:) also have come into contact with the chapter towards the inner edge of the Segmentum, and of course Orks are everywhere, so they have plenty of experience dealing with them. A few scattered tussles with Tau expeditionary forces have also cropped up here and there in the chapter's history, almost uniformly turning out badly for the outgunned and outmaneuvered marines. They long for a chance to strike back at the xenos in a stand-up fight on their own terms.

Their favored enemies are, without a doubt, traitors to the Imperium; Chaos Marines, renegade Imperial Guard regiments, chaos cults and rebellions on Hive Worlds. They've even crossed blades with a renegade Salamanders successor chapter thats devolved into a sort of tribal primitivism, the Talons of Khathul (played by a buddy of mine who will be posting on this forum hopefully in a few days...they ride dinosaurs. 'nuff said.) since St. Damien's Wrath viewed them as traitors and heretics due to their unconventional beliefs (they don't venerate the Emperor, but instead are shamanistic, etc.)

Archived