1:1 Scale Bolt Pistol

Hi there! Shortly before the forums went down I embarked on a project to build a full scale bolt pistol. Seeing how I lack any skill with metal or plastics, I turned to the next best thing: wood. After lots of band-sawing and hand-sanding at my school's expense, I managed to come up with this:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/Corellia1/ND1.jpg

It's made of scrap bits of poppler and oak... on hindsight, oak was probably a bad idea, because it's now easy to see the grain of the wood on the finished product. A few pics of that...

Side View

Front View

Rear View

For scaling purposes

Sighting on my first target...

Since the forum's back, I figured I'd show the progress. Notice that I say progress, because I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced craftsmen on that grain issue. :jaw:

For the grain issue oak is bad for the grain raising when finised your best bet would have been to seal it and then lightly sand the grain back down then paint.
Or you could say it's 'mastercrafted' with a custom wood body :o

Overall it looks properly proportioned, except maybe for the bottom of the grip which is a bit drawn out. It's awfully small too :huh:

It would have been cool to simply leave the wood as it was, all natural. After a few more projects, you could have a collection of wooden marine weapons (bolters and chainswords for example). Or, you could have left everything but the black casing part wood, as if a sergeant wanted his own eliquant and intricate style. In any event, great work! I could never accomplish anything like this with my skills :P

Hi there! Shortly before the forums went down I embarked on a project to build a full scale bolt pistol. Seeing how I lack any skill with metal or plastics, I turned to the next best thing: wood. After lots of band-sawing and hand-sanding at my school's expense, I managed to come up with this:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/Corellia1/ND1.jpg

It's made of scrap bits of poppler and oak... on hindsight, oak was probably a bad idea, because it's now easy to see the grain of the wood on the finished product. A few pics of that...

Side View

Front View

Rear View

For scaling purposes

Sighting on my first target...

Since the forum's back, I figured I'd show the progress. Notice that I say progress, because I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced craftsmen on that grain issue. :P

Drunken Dreadnought: The Bolt pistol look very good indeed.

One thing, you where talking about plastic... one thing is to use Plasticard, I say 0.5mm thck & get contact glue. That could go over the wood. But that only a tip/idear on the plastic front since I got to use this stuff 3 & a half days per week in my model making course. You can see my life side Iron Warriors helmet somewhere on this site.

Again it look cool.

IP

Thanks for the interest, fellas. =)

Commander Lucius: But... but... I did drill the barrel! If I had drilled any deeper, I don't think the wood would've been able to handle the stress. Though if you're talking about the exhaust vents on the side, you're probably right - I should've drilled it deeper.

Grimdarkness: Thanks man, I'll definitely be remembering that bit of advice for my next project. And yes, there is a next one. I'm currently drawing up plans for a Cadian Laspistol, though I'm not sure if I'd be able to post it up on B&C... who knows, maybe I'll slap on a =][=, then it'd be board legal.

Tubal: Yeah, I basically drew up the handle first according to my hand's measurements, then built the rest of the gun around that. That technique would account for the faulty proportions. ;)

Kr00tman: Everything, basically. I used 80 grit to shape the handle (belt sander helped a lot, too), and pretty much worked my way up the line until I hit 220 grit.

Hippo: Awesome, man! I have a new desktop!

Pdogg117: I totally agree, the paint job came out all wrong. I'll be doing just that on my laspistol.

Insane Psychopath: Hmm... come to think of it, plasticard really would work well. I'll import some from home and see what I can do!

Like I said, more to come. I'll be planing down some wood for the laspistol today. What do do after that, though... not so sure. I'm looking at a Bolter, Storm Bolter, Chainsword, Plasma Pistol, and Lasgun. Any ideas?

Most Bolt Pistols today have a default colour; Black, grey and gunmetal. Though I agree, it looks very

plain - almost too plain, it need some shading.

Sure you could paint it all red like Ultramarines do - but that's just too silly...

if you want, you could off course "master craft" it, with all kinds of stuff.. (purity seals ect)

ps: I also find the scale a bit off - if you're a normal human, your hand should be tiny next to a bolt weapon.

Like I said, more to come. I'll be planing down some wood for the laspistol today. What do do after that, though... not so sure. I'm looking at a Bolter, Storm Bolter, Chainsword, Plasma Pistol, and Lasgun. Any ideas?

A heavy bolter with ammo feeds ;)

Well this is my Full size Chaos Bolter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Nicorex/ChaosBolter/1649029-R1-020-8A.jpg

It doubles as my carry case for my Wordbearer Army.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Nicorex/ChaosBolter/1649029-R1-016-6A.jpg

:D

Archived