Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modelling: Gems bursting from armour

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

John Thompson

John Thompson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 257 posts
Hello guys and gals,

As I've gotten quite a few questions about how I did the gems bursting from the armour on of my old Emperors Children army, I thought it was time I did a small tutorial for you on how to do it.

Unfortunately I only found out my lighting sucked by the time I finished the thing, so the pics are nothing to boast about.. :P

The subject is the upper leg of a (chaos) marine that I'll be using for a tutorial on how to paint pink! Meet Mr. S:

Posted Image

Step 1:
Put a small ball of greensuf on the place you want the gem to be. The ball I used in this picture is actually about 1,5 times as big as what I actually used..

Posted Image

Step 2:
Flatten the edges of the ball with the round part of a GW greenstuff tool-thingy. Smooth out the edges to make a nice bump in the armour like so:

Posted Image

Step 3:
Take a sharp hoby knife and draw the gem in the greenstuf with the (moistened) tip of the knife. Hold the knife at an angle from the center of the gem outwards. This will give the gem a more rounded shape and you press the edges of the armour upwards a bit.

Posted Image

Step 4:
Now use the knife to make some cuts in the armour to make it look more burst than melted:

Posted Image

And a better pic of the finished gem-fro-armour-thingy:

Posted Image

Next up is painting the mini..
Hope it helps!

John

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,802 posts
Thanks alot, that is a fine tutorial. The finished result really comes out clean. Also can't wait to see the mini painted.

Joker

Joker

++ RIDICULUM PAUXILLUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,697 posts
Thank You, Sir!

A simple, consise tutorial; for an extremely effective technique.

Joker

gallery_3570_2095_9007.jpg

The Angelus Sanctus

The Angelus Sanctus

++ RUBERO CUNICULUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 10,085 posts
Thanks for the Tutorial John :tu:

Not to be TOO nit-picky, would it be possible to get some lighter pics for steps 1 to 4? I just noticed with some of the natural shadows of the mini, its hard to see some of the details within the GS. If not, thats ok though, as i said, i was being a lil bit nit picky. :)
Armies Owned:
Angels of the Lion (DA): Grand Master Angelus Sanctus | Space Wolves: ? | Iron Hands: ? | Sisters of Battle: ?
Emperor's Children: Lord Amorr'ei Ge'hinnom | Thousand Sons: ? | Word Bearers: ?

My Stuff:
My Photobucket | My Blog | My B&C PC&A Blog