Painting: Imperial Fists

Prefect

im really excited about trying this for some IF marines i wanna work on, and other things. but i wanted to ask you how much water did you mix in with the inks you used? for the yellow, it doesnt look like you mixed that much, but i cant be sure. thanks!

im really excited about trying this for some IF marines i wanna work on, and other things. but i wanted to ask you how much water did you mix in with the inks you used? for the yellow, it doesnt look like you mixed that much, but i cant be sure. thanks!

You'll find that I am one lazy painter... I don't mix water or colours... just right out of the pots. ;)

The varnish shading looks really good but seems to have have collected too strongly on some of the backs of your termies. Have you given any thought to thinning the varnish (probably would increase the drying time) to minimize this effect and if so have you noticed any difference? All and all, an excellent technique; thanks for sharing it.

You'll find that I am one lazy painter... I don't mix water or colours... just right out of the pots. ;)

sounds excellent man! lazy or not, you cant argue with the way those models came out. i cant wait to try my hand at this technique this weekend.

The varnish shading looks really good but seems to have have collected too strongly on some of the backs of your termies. Have you given any thought to thinning the varnish (probably would increase the drying time) to minimize this effect and if so have you noticed any difference? All and all, an excellent technique; thanks for sharing it.

Again it sounds a bit goofy but it seems to add weight to the terms to have a gradiation from head to toe. That being said, it's all a matter of taste.

After the "Ze Dip!!" phase, you've got about an hour to futz around with the dip.

I had a bunch of dip pooling at the lower edge of top of the carapace (just under the rectangle). All you need to do to solve this is wick away the extra dip with the corner of a kleenex or paper towel. DON'T WIPE!!! DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T WIPE! Just let the corner suck away the dip by touching the paper to the thick spot.

I love your models. They have a really good quality VS time spent. But now that termies are astronomically priced as well as FW add-ons I can't get my mind around doing a quick paintjob. Maybe if they we're IG or Orks where there are ALOT of freaking models I'd do it, but $50 for 5 termies it deserves a long painting time for really good quality. At least with my bizarre psyche. :)

I've seen this method shown on Dakka Dakka and its always a great way to quick paint.

I love your models. They have a really good quality VS time spent. But now that termies are astronomically priced as well as FW add-ons I can't get my mind around doing a quick paintjob. Maybe if they we're IG or Orks where there are ALOT of freaking models I'd do it, but $50 for 5 termies it deserves a long painting time for really good quality. At least with my bizarre psyche. <_<

I've seen this method shown on Dakka Dakka and its always a great way to quick paint.

I'm with you on that point. But I'm actually looking to do around a 2000+ point army out of these guys for the summer. These termies are done, but the 45+ marines are going to be done the same way. I actually had a squad painted up from the black primer, to browns etc... but it was taking me two weeks + to do 10 guys. :blush:

This way, I can have a nice consistent feel to the army.

I'm also now working on my cyclone termie squad and Lysander. aaaand converting up a vindicator to use the latest rhino model.

Very nicely done. I've seen it done for Deathwing, but not Imperial Fists. One thing I've read in a post about Dipping is that it is also possible to use a brush and actually paint on the stain/ varnish. This allows for a little bit more control as to the amount of stain that remains on the model. Just something to throw out there.

Either way, I look forward to seeing more of your Imperial Fists.

Can I ask A question? How do you do this for other colours?

I also appreciate the irony of a product called 'Miniwax'

Actually I think the trick is to find the right colour.

I like this one because it's pretty light (even at its thickest, the colour still comes through).

This would probably work very well over bone, white, bright reds etc. Come to think of it... I wonder how it would go over a really bright blue... hmmmm... might just darken it down to Ultramarines blue...

*grabs junk fig....*

How would you go about painting a tank for your army?

My Plan is to cut the Minwax 50 / 50 with Future Floor Wax. I've got a rhino on the go right now. Assembled, primed white, yellow inked, then I'm going to slop (grab a big honking brush) it on or dip it in some kind of tupperware.

Has anyone had any luck with this? I'd really like to see other modelers' take on this theme.

• 1 year later...

I MUST warn you all with lower than average computers that if you have problems with flash sites, please use caution when entering this site because it is almost completely flash oriented.

link to greatness

Enjoy, cause I sure as the throne did.

"SONS OF DORN! Learn to master your craft and you shall master your purpose, learn from those who have mastered their craft and you shall become the masters!" - Teachings of the Imperial Fists chapter

Oh, and by the way, there is a gallery that is in this site as well. To save some from the darkness of flash lag. I present to you, the link.

link to mastery

Enjoy this, because it is freaking cool.

Edit: I know that we have the unequaled foundations, washes, and now the awsome spray-flamer paint gun but due take the time to see how the masters of old did it because they deserve some attention.

"Look brothers, learn from this warrior of Dorn. He has mastered his craft and thus is engaged in his purpose. In the Emperor's name, DO THE SAME!!!" - Exemplifed teachis of the Imperial Fists chapter

I'm not a fan of that style of yellow. It's too brown or orangish for my liking. Fists are tonka truck yellow in my eyes. I use something similar to Obliterator's method, but after searching for 10 minutes I can't seem to find it. God I hate BnCs search feature.

Archived