Ravenwing Chaplain

m_r_parker

Hi all,

I have recently embarked on a project to create my own Ravenwing Chaplain, utilising the new Ravenwing sprue and some existing chaplain models.

I'm not really a huge fan of the current Chaplain on Bike, so I'm using this guy as the basis of the conversion.

Has anybody else looked at making their own Ravenwing Chaplains? How did thy work out?

Well it will be a fantastic modelling opportunity - that Stuart Spengler can certainly paint eh? So the very best with it.

Now, not wishing to put a spanner in the works but can you actually have a Ravenwing Chappy anymore? This is confusing me as yes a Chappy can have a bike but is he RW? Same with the Libby. I am assuming they aren't RW. But please shout at me very loud as I am slightly senile but as always I am willing to be proved wrong.

If not it will be a shame as it seems to me he will not have a teleport homer or Scout move.

Cheers

I

Well, looking at the Codex he could be amember of the Ravenwing in name, but, as you say he won't get Scout or teleport homers. However, he will get skilled rider as he is an independant character and he will, of course, be Fearless.

So if you're willing to sacrifice your Scout move by attaching him to a bike squad, he should be pretty good.

Now, not wishing to put a spanner in the works but can you actually have a Ravenwing Chappy anymore?

Yep. Looking at the chapter organisation on p15 of the codex, the Ravenwing have everything bar a company champion (no idea why, anybody know? :verymad: )

If not it will be a shame as it seems to me he will not have a teleport homer or Scout move.

Yeah, hadn't actually thought about that - thats a bit of a dilema.

I like the idea of a Chaplain for my Ravenwing force, but he's going to be left behind, and can't call in the Deathwing, so is he worthwhile?

Now, not wishing to put a spanner in the works but can you actually have a Ravenwing Chappy anymore?

Yep. Looking at the chapter organisation on p15 of the codex, the Ravenwing have everything bar a company champion (no idea why, anybody know? :P )

Yeah, hadn't actually thought about that - thats a bit of a dilema.

I like the idea of a Chaplain for my Ravenwing force, but he's going to be left behind, and can't call in the Deathwing, so is he worthwhile?

Well he can still fight quite good, and I where using a chappy in my RW all those years I played wit them in the last edition of 40k.

Nowadays they got both turboboosting and litanies of hate, so they should be even better, I believe. (but if you intend to stay out of close combat, he will, of course, not be worthwhile)

Edit: If I ever get so many RW-units that its starts to approach company level, I will designate the sergeant of the first squad, the one who should have the banner and apothecary, to be "Mr. Looks like Company champion". For fluffiness.

The model I used (ugly as sin) where the standard chappy on bike.

Now, What about a libby?

I think a libby on bike would be fun (one of those things I will get round to making one day...). Especially for the sheer joy of drive-by-hellfire. :D

Also for being T5 against those TMCs...(except for instakill purposes, of course!)

I modeled my chaplain using RW, a veteran sprue and a crosius. Standard hooded head makes him look like a normal srg but i damaged the original head i was going to use. It feats his fluff profile though. He's just a novice who has to earn his interrogator chaplain rank, but for his valor and devotion he was honored with a chance to achieve this status within RW ranks.

Game wise i use him as 2 wound model equipped only with meltabombs and a bike of course. I don't need him to be any better as Samael is a leading character. His duty is to lead 6 bike command squad. Their sole task is to draw some attention, so other squads can easier achieve their objectives, and engage in CC. And they are scary :D on charge: 10 rapid fire bolter shoots (re-roll to hit), 2 melta shoots, 15 normal attacks (re-roll), 5 power fist attacks (re-roll), 6 power weapon attacks (I5 and of course re-roll)

400pts but i think it's worth it and it works for me so far.

As usual work in progress. I think most of you here will die of very old age before i post anything finished ;)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/phasespirit/chappie.jpg

I also am tempted to make one. I actually bought the box of the three RW bikes and the DA command box to do this. See I already converted and painted a chaplain model, with maganitzed arms and backback. So I'm going to use the RW SGT body and legs for the chaplain, and just use the already magnatized corsius weapon from my other model. I took the skull looking berzerker head, filed and cut the top things on the head that zerkers have, and made them look like wing, ala RW chaplain. But I think it would be cool to use the crosius arm, or maybe the whole torso of that chaplain model, on a RW bike.

After thinking about putting him in the command bike squad and how nasty it would be to have first turn charge, I realized with the chappy there is no scout move. ;) wonder if this was on purpose, to keep everyone from makingt this unit of doom, or just overlooked. But still a nasty unit. Deploy them behind cover, turboboost up a flank and charge in on the next turn.

Gman

I realized with the chappy there is no scout move.

I don't think there is anything to worry about it. I rarely use scout move to rocket myself forward, because it may leave me in the open if i loose first turn, or running threw difficult terrain and both are big no-nos in my book. As you rarely can move directly forward because of the randomness of the terrain and enemy deployment, it's fair to assume that your movement will be on average 45 degrees sideways from your original/expected direction. In this case your forward charge range will be the sum of 12"(scout move), 12"(movement) and 6"(charge) times 0.7 which gives 21". It's fine if you play quarters or recon but not enough if you have 12" deployment zone.

I prefer to use scout move sideways to move quickly to one flank or to hide behind some piece of terrain to get myself a bit closer. This way your chaplain won't be left behind because most of your movement happens within or near your deployment zone.

Also to balance the CC effectiveness of your army you can attach him to any squadron passing by, instead of the command squad, and create another good close combat unit. None of these two will be as good as the squadron of doom but still good enough i believe.

Bear in mind i recently fight in urban environment with plenty of cover.

Hello everyone! I don't usually post here but I have been a devoted DA player since 97. As far as the Chaplain goes, it is very good if used well. His ability to move fast across the battlefield fast comes in very handy indeed. I usually hide mine until I start to get tied up in close combat, where he kicks all kinds of butt. The Litanies of Hate works ,ost effectively when I attach him in close combat with my veterans right before a charge, it makes a lot of power weapon attack with re-rolls.

On another note, here is a link to a pic of my Ravenwing Chaplain. I did him about 6 months ago when I first started building my pure Ravenwing list. He was in April's White Dwarf with some of my other Ravenwing models. He also won a Bronze in the 40k Large Model for Atlanta GD yesterday. I used a whole bunch of bits, mostly old marine bits, green stuff, plasticard and the Chaos vehicle gunner head. Hope you guys like it.

Micah, Ravenwing Interrogator Chaplain

• 1 year later...

I bought the old ravenwing boxed set (The one with the metal landspeeder tornado) which if I recall correctly included 5 bikes and a bike with metal bits and a chaplain.

Chaplain himself hassn't been used a lot lately so his painting is still very oldish and as a result bad. (My current painting is decent table top, but my older models are.... not so good.)

But these bikes are al way before the very cool ravenwing banner poles and the wing like shields on the stearing bar.

So nowadays my ravenwing doesn't look like RW even though I have had them for ages. :)

Must be showing my age now, but still.

I also used that same bike with the funcky extra's to mount the librarian I made, but that just a chopped up libby on bike legs. Looks decent though :-)

Maybe I'll get a hold of a camera and post a picture later this week.

I prefer to use scout move sideways to move quickly to one flank or to hide behind some piece of terrain to get myself a bit closer. This way your chaplain won't be left behind because most of your movement happens within or near your deployment zone.

same for me. scouting sideways allows me to mess up my oponents deployment or correct my own. it keeps the oponent on his toes as a bike squadron that is deployed in on location sudenly is relocated somewere else before the game even starts, leaving the unit that had a nice line of sight for your bikes without targets. of course with the new 5th ed rules, geting out of sight is more complicated but still doable :)

regarding the chaplain, mine is the metal biker chaplain but i replaced the crozius with one of the DA plastic bits to make him more DAlike. i allways use it in my ravenwing army, not for his great combat prowess but the way my dice rolling usually goes i need all the help i can get :P

im also converting a all plastic librarian, but it will take some time to finish (to many projects at the same time, only one of me :) )

I'm in the process of making a libby, chappy and techmarine (i know its not legal) on quad bikes. Once i'm happy with the suspension for the fronts' i'll post them.

Between the DA Vets box and the Ravenwing sprue there is more than enough parts to make a really good chaplain and libby.

On occasion Ive gone straight forward with the scout move to reach terrain/cover that was say 10" ahead of my deploy zone. With lack of area cover in 5th I imagine this is going to be a rare thing. However, I found that simply moving the bikes scout 12 + move 12 let them fire the first turn, where as the chaplain simply boosted 24 and caught up the same round, losing only 1-2 bolter shots, and then left the character with a 3+I save instead of his usual 4+I for that round. Never once did that create any serious problems for me, it just meant they didnt join units until in the middle of the first turn. Anyhow, an approach like that can help with the whole scout move vs no scout move. As for the chaplain on bike, I think he is a great unit in the right list, and looks smart too. While he might lack RW specific rules in the codex he can certainly legally and fluffily be painted and modeled as one. Gl and have fun!

I've been working on an all-plastic Interrogator Chaplain on a bike. I'm not going to make it Ravenwing, since it's an Interrogator. The bike will still have all the wingy bits from the RW sprue, but the iconography on bike & rider will be all chapter symbols and skulls. If I get a spare moment later this evening, I'll take pictures and post them.

~Mike~

Archived