Desert Eagles wip

Am I the first with a critcism ? it's just they seem terribly under painted ! you gotta get some paint on these as they are fan-tastic ! can't wait to see them a little further down the line ! great work and excellent use of parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Havn't had much time over for painting lately, but i'm probobly something like halfway trough with the beaky biker. Anyway, got my bitsorder a couple of days ago, and with all those blingy new bitz i couldn't help changing out a bit here and there on the other bikers. I didn't bother to take any pics now, since there's no major changes, just a diffrent head or an addition of another shield aswell as a change of legs for my apocethary. Damn those robed DA legs look awsome! But what i'm really curious about now is how you think my razorback is turning out. The tank itself is glued together, but most of the bits are just bluetacked and havn't been cleaned from moldlines or flash either. There's really 2 issues i'm mostly interested in getting some feedback on, altough any oppinions are appriciated.

1) Your toughts on the stormbolter. Keepers, change it, or just toss it back in the bitzbox? (From a gaming point of view i'm really not sure i wan't to spend another 10 points on this tank since it usually have an extremly hard time making it past turn 3...)

2) The searchlights. Hope somebody will understand this, can't really explain it properly, but do you guys think that it will look stupid with two lights on either side of the turret when they're both like two lefts or rights. I mean, the angel of the top aswell as the targeter is angeled/placed the same way. I could attempt to convert one so it would mirror the other, but i think it'll be rather difficult. So should i bother and possibly ruin one or just go with them?

Thanks in advance!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3051.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3027.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3033.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3017.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3020.jpg

keep the storm bolter - and consider thye idea nicked *yoink*

overall the tank looks great. very gothic - kudos to you.

i wasn't sure exactly what you meant by the two lights thing. could you sketch a rough pic maybe?

Thanks, glad you liked the tank.

Anyway, made a sketch that might help explain the searchlight issue. The top version is how they look right now, and the bottom is how i would preffer them .

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/searchlights.jpg

Are you going to reverse cast the search light to solve the issue? Or go for a approximate with some plasticard and gs? Looking great BTW. I might have placed the winged crux at the rear of the Razor instead on the gun turret, but its nice where its at also. :teehee:

The idea of the lights in the turret is a great idea, and one i suggest you impliment. It makes a lot of sence to have lights attached to the turret, because it will illuminate where the turret looks, no problem there at all imo. :)

I like the idea of the storm bolter there but maybe if you made it moveable from left to right, or are you going for the chimera style locked gun postion foward facing?

Toddius: I don't really know yet how to solve it. I'll probobly try to cut, glue and gs it from one of the existing lights. Any suggestions would be appriciated. However, reversecasting is probobly over my head...i have never tried anything like that. The winged crux is a piece i'm unsure of aswell, not sure if i'll keep it, but mostly due to that a crux doesn't really suit a tank for troopers. But i'm also thinking it could just be there in some sort of honour for the vet.serg. leading them. Oh, i don't know.

Pulse: Yeah, i figure it will be pretty locked that way, maybe it's still plausable to claim something like a 45 degree field of fire, but i kind of thought it would look cool at the front, so that the driver have some extra fire to lay down when needed. Maybe attaching it to some sort of cylinder would make it appear more functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done with the beaky biker now. Metallics obviously not finished, neither is the backpack nor the wheels. Also, there are some small details here and there that needs to be sorted out. But i'll hopefully be done with this one in another evening. I just thought it might be good to post the mini here before fixing the final things and varnish him. Any c&c would be much appriciated.

Altough it never really gets dark around here in northern Sweden by night, it's still crappy light so the pics aren't great.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3081.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3084.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3087.jpg

Brother, the biker is done incredibly well, love the white, the green is nicely done and the shoulder pads and symbols are beautiful as usual. I also like the wings on the foot plate guard and gas tank. The metalics with both black and brown washes are really great. Be careful the left rebreather vent got knicked with brown paint when you did the shoulder badge :devil: which happens to me all the time. However, since we're here to see if we can push each other to greater hieghts I can see 3 opportunitues that could be IMHO, enhanced:

1. Is the glow on the eye piece isn't convincing you in this pic? It might be the pic but at the moment it isn't glowing like I know you can make it. :)

2. The rivets on the trim I believe should be painted metalic with black contrast hardlines around the metal. The white needs to be framed-in, IMHO.

3. I think to enhance all the white the same brown/orange livery on the shoulder badge should be used on the side of the front fender or the top with the Desert Eagle symbol on it. I think the sweet colored pads and freehand symbol you did if placed on the bike would make it look even more incredible. :)

That base you did itilizing the biker base and 1 troop base cut in half came out PERFECTLY. The dry desert look and the way you pulled it off is as good as it gets! Kudos to you on that. This army is going to look SO sweet when its done. I can't wait. :)

Keep goin brother.

Thanks for the comments Master T, i'm flattered. The base is ok, but it's nowhere near perfection. It's not perfectly smooth on the edges and where the cuts where made. One would think that since the bikes themseleves are such old minis GW would have cast a base that actually fits the model already and not make us cut and model them ourselves. I just followed the method posted on the GW official site, as you probobly already figured out. (Altough, as you noted, i used a standard 28mm base and a cavalrybase)

Pushing eachother is great, and you made some good points.

1. It really is the pic that kills the glow. The time of the night along with my poor light setup created lots of shadows in the picture... Irl, it looks pretty much the same as the other ones, altough i do find it a bit trickier to paint the glow on beakies for some reason. Anyway, it's painted the same way as my previous minis.

2. I'll take under serios concideration altough i'm not sure about it myself.

3. I agree, i need something on the front fender to contrast against the all-white look. On the other bikes it's not going to be an issue since they have all those shields and stuff attached. I tried orange on the gastank and the shield on the rear in an earlier stage, but that got too much. I thought it begun to look a bit busy instead, so i decided to go for white. But i'll try something on the front ´cause that's one of the things i have doubts about myself.

This is a splendid work. Your main colour is fully mastered, has subtile and elegant shades. Makes me think it would be the perfect colour for pré-heresy DG and not far from the Luna wolfies. Grats again.

Just one thing I find strange : The pistol's holster. Position seems unnatural and quite impossible to use. I would have seen it reversed.

But as usual, this is a wonderful job.

Dark Sensei

Great work! I'm especially amazed to see a hull mounted weapon on the proper side:) If you have't painted the razorback yet than consider drilling thicker holes in the roof mounted HBs' barells.

Cheers!

Sati

Thangs for the compliments guys, cheers!

@ Dark Sensei: Yeah, i'm aware it looks a bit akward from a usability perspective placed like that. However, i needed a bit to go there, and it's flat on the other side and as i like that particular bolter thats the only direction it could go. Also, i figure it's mainly a reserve bolter kept in case the bike gets busted up or something like that.

@ Sati: Yeah, i might drill out the bolters a bit more. As for painting, it'll probobly be quite some time before the razorback gets any paint on it. I'm a very slow painter and not only do i spend lots of hours on every mini...i have to find free time to do it aswell. :D So this army is a long term project. My hopes are to have painted something like 1500 points of these within maybe a year from now.

@ commander sha´son: That sounds interesting. Couldn't find them at bwb-bits at a first glance tough, and i'm not really going to buy the full sprues just for a searchlight. But thats a good tip. I'll look into it see if i can get it trough my local store. Thanks mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh I bloody hate all sorts of varnish! Pure evil in a can is what it is. 50 something hours worth of painting and converting nearly ruined. ;) :unsure:

First coat left me with that sort of fuzzy slightly pale thing. Fun.

I did test-spray another mini first, and the side i hit with the varnish first came out alright, but then for whatever reason the other side turned out bad... so had to give it another coat for that supershiny look. Somehow this also resulted in some additional blending which i really could have done without. Now i really must find someplace where i can order that dullcoat since my local store don't carry anything from the testors range.

Sigh...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3102.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/wip3103.jpg

I'll try and get some better pictures with less shadows tomorrow aswell as adding some static grass.

Varnish is a joy :D Sorry you had to deal with that. I feel your pain.

I think that emblem on the front fender makes all the difference in the world. That bike looks awesome. :) Great job.

Now i really must find someplace where i can order that dullcoat since my local store don't carry anything from the testors range.

If you can find any of their matt varnish in a pot, it might go a way to sorting your problem out. It's very time consuming to use on every model in your army, but it's very useful for characters and repairing over shiny or frosty varnish mishaps.

Wow! That biker is cool! I especially like the eagle on the front fender, you've found a quite uniqe & really great looking way to add that little yellow that was needed on the front of the bike!

On varnish i can't really tell anything as i use an airbrush for that & i suppose you didn't mention you own one:( Varnish in a spray can sucks (u can't control the pressure or the varnish-thinner ratio, so it gives mostly worse results than using a brush). Anyway always thin the varnish-you'll ruin some test minis before you find thethe perfect ratio for an even finish. Try, fail, repeat-good luck.

The other stuff: what do you use/how for the black outlines on the side of the panels? If it's meant to represent dirt stuck in the recesses, than IMO it looks too wide!

Cheers! Sati

@Blargag!!! : I paint them the cyril way. Read this article on glowing eyes and i'm sure you'll be just fine.

@Sati: Sorry for not replying here, i hope you saw that i replied over at the cmon voting page instead. But yes, i agree with you about the blacklining and will try to keep them more narrow in the future.

They look fantastic! Awesome job so far. Had a question though- how did you make the studded shoulder pad?

Just some greenstuff over a shoulderpad to get rid of the trim. After that i cut the studds from a very thin sort of plasticard rod and carefully glue the studds in place. Not really hard, but it's very timeconsuming...

Archived