= New chapters =

Philip S

If I was to do anything celtic I would look up the ancient celts that the Roman Legions fought. There are plenty of resources around about it. The War-paint and tattoos with celtic imagery of that sort seem to mesh well with astartes. That and the "barbaric" culture of that age would suit Astartes very well.

My two cents.

A darkish blue (such as regal blue) and gold are the best colours for a celtic chapter IMHO. They're actually the colours of my coat of arms (With viking patterns around the edges. :veryangry:)

So far I’m thinking that the troopers are black/blue (really black with a tint), white trim and yellow eagle.

Ties into the colours with the flags of Brittany, Cornwall and st David

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_Brittany.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_Cornwall.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_Saint_David.svg

Where’s the blue I hear you holler!

I put that on the Bards (Librarians).

I’m also thinking of ‘Psi-Harps’, now before you think I’m nuts, remember the noise marines used a similar technology in their Ax (guitar). Instead of being destructive, I’m thinking the Psi-Harp is used to reinforce protections, create wards and reinvigorate troops (null adverse pshychology)?

With the harp and the blue, the Bard heraldry could be something like this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_Ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:COA_of_Ireland.svg

Though that may be going too far.

Have you been to a place called Castell Henllys in south-west Wales near Cardigan? It's an archaeological site of a an iron age villiage which has been rebuilt. It's a superb place to see celtic culture.

I’ll look it up!

If I was to do anything celtic I would look up the ancient celts that the Roman Legions fought. There are plenty of resources around about it. The War-paint and tattoos with celtic imagery of that sort seem to mesh well with astartes. That and the "barbaric" culture of that age would suit Astartes very well.

I would rather look at the Celts as being civilized rather than barbarians, it seems that the Celts had quite an interesting and socially sophisticated society, and many aspects I quite like: such as an elected monarchy, tanistry and oral tradition.

Oral Tradition is something that would work really well in 40K because of implant technology (Electrografts) would faithfully remember the story, yet keep it secure. With such technology the marine literally becomes the Library (hence Librarian?) but in this Celtic chapter they are known as Bards (and do exactly what historic Bards do!).

All in all, I tend to take Roman versions of other cultures with a pinch of salt, the Romans weren’t renowned for taking the time to understand foreign cultures (indeed ‘barbarian’ literally means ‘foreign’, so you can guess what they though of others!). I also think the Romans are the last ones to be banging on about who is and is not backward and base, after all they had slaves (as did most) and gladiator contests. They really have no moral high ground at all, I tend to view them as technologically advanced for the time, but socially stunted (it’s had to develop understanding and empathy for others if you’re a rampant bully who keeps winning :).

While I can understand why people revere the Romans and their technological achievements, I surprised most seem to turn a blind eye to their ‘barbaric’ society.

I like my history warts and all, but I also like to give credit where credit is due.

+++

Added ‘The Dragons’ and idea developing from Chinese mythology (chapter seems pretty enough), and trying out the layout I’ll use when B&C Painter v2 comes on line!

Philip

Hey havent I seen the dragons homeworld somewhere before :)

Nice concepts, both in regards to the celtic marines(psi-harps interesting, though might not they also use pipes) and the dragons, though the name leaves alot to be desired, having said that of course it does have the virtue of not having been used before so...

Are you not worried that you now seem to have 2 watery type chapters(though considering the lack of official ones perhaps it was time we had a few chapters from water worlds)

Oral Tradition is something that would work really well in 40K because of implant technology (Electrografts) would faithfully remember the story, yet keep it secure. With such technology the marine literally becomes the Library (hence Librarian?)

Thats a nice idea, might not the bones of the librarian be also marked, so even in death they would have a story to tell. It would definitely help with the concept of ancestor veneration should you wish to apply it to the chapter as more than a superstition.

Various stylised dragons representing each company.

Your just being greedy now, I say stick with the Chinese style dragon and leave some for the rest of us ;)

Hey havent I seen the dragons homeworld somewhere before :jaw:

You sure have!

Nice concepts, both in regards to the celtic marines(psi-harps interesting, though might not they also use pipes)

Pipes? Indeed, just when you though bag pipes couldn't get any worse (:P) 40K brings you the power pipes with auto-bellows!

Harps, bellows, pipes? I’m thinking the Celtic chapter should not be a codex chapter (it just sounds sooo wrong!). Perhaps something similar to the Space Wolf great companies?

Maybe, one company of Bards (! - various levels) for 1st company, and six other companies for Brittany, Cornwall, Isle of Man, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. That gives 7 in total, 10 is for the scouts (not really marines) which leaves 8 and 9?

Perhaps I’ll have a looks into the mythology a little more to find 8 and 9 (any suggestions?)

Still don’t have a name! (the Celts is too obvious, if correct, perhaps a nickname for players to use?)

and the dragons, though the name leaves alot to be desired, having said that of course it does have the virtue of not having been used before so...

I did think of Imperial Dragons (already done), but when I thought of the various Dragon aspects, it seemed natural to refer to them all as ‘The Dragons’. It didn’t seem too lazy at the time because each company is going to get it’s own 'dragon' name! Think of them as a 'Dragon collective'.

Are you not worried that you now seem to have 2 watery type chapters(though considering the lack of official ones perhaps it was time we had a few chapters from water worlds)

Not at all! Whereas having a single ecosystem on a world a la Star Wars et all is a little far fetched, having a sea world is believable (kinda). I think most avoid them because, well, they are covered in water! I think to make most think of boats or underwater marines and that is kinda limiting. However, I just drop my Ecoria all over it and the problem is solved!

Speaking of doubling up, The Dragons and The Certified both have gravity lifts and orbital stations :)

Oral Tradition is something that would work really well in 40K because of implant technology (Electrografts) would faithfully remember the story, yet keep it secure. With such technology the marine literally becomes the Library (hence Librarian?)

Thats a nice idea, might not the bones of the librarian be also marked, so even in death they would have a story to tell. It would definitely help with the concept of ancestor veneration should you wish to apply it to the chapter as more than a superstition.

Indeed, also there is a ceramic compound used in medical procedures to rebuild bones, and as you are well aware the Astartes also get ceramic treatments. It would be interesting to pattern this ceramic into a hard storage medium, perhaps via the black carapace (bio-photonics :P)

This way the skeleton can be accessed after the marines death!

Various stylised dragons representing each company.

Your just being greedy now, I say stick with the Chinese style dragon and leave some for the rest of us ;)

But there is more than one style of dragon! Having said that they are all Chinese Style, just variations. I think the wriggly dragons would look very cool on a shoulder pad. Each company could also lay the foundations for a successor chapter with close links - Tiered chapters? May be bending the codex rules too far! Though China was isolationist for a while, could be they (chapter) were cut off and did what needed to be done?

Philip

But there is more than one style of dragon! Having said that they are all Chinese Style,

Ahhhh right ok then forget I said anything. So you mean the like the black dragon of the north king of storms and red dragon of the west king of fire that sort of thing?

Maybe, one company of Bards (! - various levels) for 1st company,

Bards have excellently trained voices, why not use that concept, vocal harmonics that can shatter stone and burst organs. We know such things are possible in 40k so why not give them to the marines and explore what they might do with that power.

Perhaps I’ll have a looks into the mythology a little more to find 8 and 9 (any suggestions?)

Regarding the two companies above, how about Anglesey in North Wales (The island shaped like a head.) that's where many of the celts fled to and a huge last stand was made on its shores. How about the Shetlands aswell? The Shetlands are famous for an old culture that had proper bui;dings before even Stone Henge was built. Let alone the Romans. You could use Gaul aswell, maybe have an Asterix and Obleix company?

Castell Henllys was an Iron age settlement when the Romans turned up. I think there's evidence of Romans being there. I haven't been there for a year or two, but my old school used to take trips up there yearly.

I think a non-codex chapter will suit it nicely. Maybe the chaplains should be the druids and their colour scheme is white with gold on the trimmings. Should the sacrafice part be added as it was in almost every celtic culture. The =][= wouldn't like it though. :jaw:

Hope these nuggets of info help,

Cambrius

OK, first things first, basics of the Celt chapter is up, still don’t have a name, but I’m thinking something to do with crows or raptors?

All in all, I tend to take Roman versions of other cultures with a pinch of salt,

I know that, thats why I put quotation marks around 'barbaric'. However the point is also that a relatively 'barbaric' culture meshes very well with astartes in just about every aspect.

True, warrior societies are a favourite! (the ‘Noble Savage’ and all that). However I do not think I will portray them quite as such, even through they could be taken as such!

But there is more than one style of dragon! Having said that they are all Chinese Style,

Ahhhh right ok then forget I said anything. So you mean the like the black dragon of the north king of storms and red dragon of the west king of fire that sort of thing?

Basically :)

Maybe, one company of Bards (! - various levels) for 1st company,

Bards have excellently trained voices, why not use that concept, vocal harmonics that can shatter stone and burst organs. We know such things are possible in 40k so why not give them to the marines and explore what they might do with that power.

Sounds good. Booming Psi-enhanced voices are a must! (cult of personality).

Regarding the two companies above, how about Anglesey in North Wales (The island shaped like a head.) that's where many of the celts fled to and a huge last stand was made on its shores.

Interesting.

How about the Shetlands aswell? The Shetlands are famous for an old culture that had proper bui;dings before even Stone Henge was built. Let alone the Romans. You could use Gaul aswell, maybe have an Asterix and Obleix company?

:P Astrix and Obleix! Scouts?

Castell Henllys was an Iron age settlement when the Romans turned up. I think there's evidence of Romans being there. I haven't been there for a year or two, but my old school used to take trips up there yearly.

(Black) Iron may feature at some point.

I think a non-codex chapter will suit it nicely. Maybe the chaplains should be the druids and their colour scheme is white with gold on the trimmings. Should the sacrafice part be added as it was in almost every celtic culture. The =][= wouldn't like it though. ;)

See my web page: the Bards are Librarians and Chaplains combined! Druids (forgot about them!) may turn up as a Bard type, more Chaplain that Librarian.

Hope these nuggets of info help,

Sure does!

OK, everyone tear into the latest chapter!

Philip

but I’m thinking something to do with crows or raptors?

Sons of Morrighan/Nemain/Macha/Dea/Badb the five(sometimes 3) celtic goddesses said to hover over the battle field as crows(or ravens) inspiring madness(beserker rages?) The Badb Catha or Battle Crows. The Ravens, The Crows, Storm Crows, War Ravens, Dark Ravens/Crows/Rooks. Ooh those birds were also supposes to carry the souls of the dead into the next life werent they? Perhaps the Chaplains have them for heraldry.

but I’m thinking something to do with crows or raptors?

Sons of Morrighan/Nemain/Macha/Dea/Badb the five(sometimes 3) celtic goddesses said to hover over the battle field as crows(or ravens) inspiring madness(beserker rages?) The Badb Catha or Battle Crows. The Ravens, The Crows, Storm Crows, War Ravens, Dark Ravens/Crows/Rooks. Ooh those birds were also supposes to carry the souls of the dead into the next life werent they? Perhaps the Chaplains have them for heraldry.

And there’s juggling iron, black, crow, raven and raptor!

In the end I though crow sounded a bit spindly, and thought Black Ravens/ Iron Ravens or Black Raptors/ Iron Raptors?

The crow/ raven link is something I like, even Dublin has a crow, in fact crows pop up all over the place!

I was steering clear of overtly Celtic names for the chapter (seeing as it is technically translated from High Gothic into English :)), but a Celtic version would be good for the ‘local language’.

Philip

Black Ravens

Errr as Ravens are black then that name is somewhat daft isnt it, fair enough if they were white ravens then yes we'd need to know cos as a rule all Ravens are black, its even another word for black in its own right, eg raven haired :)

Black Ravens

Errr as Ravens are black then that name is somewhat daft isnt it, fair enough if they were white ravens then yes we'd need to know cos as a rule all Ravens are black, its even another word for black in its own right, eg raven haired ;)

:P Maybe in 40K they have a whole load of different 'Ravens', albino/ white Ravens, Red (blood) Ravens and Black Ravens, maybe even a nice blue Raven!

OK, Dazzo, I think ‘Rook’ should go in the name it seems appropriate;

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rook

‘gregarious habits’ and cheating at cards (wit and guile vs warp and a love of danger!) and the fact that it is also a castle (they have no fortress so they are the fortress!) strengthens the concept.

Also;

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search...searchmode=none

I like the Hindu link via chess (chariot?), and this may well tie into the Sons of Rarhm at a later date?

Ie Rook could mean chariot, and the Celts did love a chariot! Hmm, land speeders?

Rook Guard (chariot guard) my need some explaining or it’s going to look lazy!

Or Iron Rooks. Quite like that too.

Gotta add in ‘Shillelagh’ of blackthorn wood, perhaps as a power-maul?

Anyway, I’m off to read about Three Ravens (easily distracted!), hmm, Rauens?

I wonder is that sounds like ‘ruin’?

Philip

Might I humbly suggest the Ravens of Ruin? Maybe the Dark Rooks so you can choose any dark coour?

Raven of Ruin is a bit long (might make a nice title for a ledged though ;) ) and Dark Rooks may fall into the same think Dazzo mentioned with my Black Ravens :sweat:

Thinking out loud;

How about ‘The Omen’, seeing as Christianity did a good job demonising anything Pagan, and it could be a play on words of the Irish patronym O’ as in O-men?

Perhaps taking Emperor as the father for the surname O’# and referred to as Omen because no one is allowed to know the name of the Emperor (being holy and all)? A fancy way of saying 'Emperor's grand children' and a tie in to Slaanesh/ Emperor's Children legion and the psi-harp/ noise marines? Are they really ravens or something else? (Blood Ravens have many a rumour...)

O’ means grandson, and Mac Son, so it could be MacCorax :P?

Also;

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search...searchmode=none

the foreboding and the ‘to hear' aspect of the root seems cool a ties in with the Plane of Joy and hearing the call of Danu?

Ties into the Raven being a bird of ill omen?

Also plays around with preconceptions, with 40K background seems to love to do! And gives them an edge.

?

Philip

Isnt that more of an early Christian belief than an ancient Celt one?

Rooks sounds fine, put a 'the' in front of any of those 3 birds and it sounds ok actually. You can also put 'war' in front of them to just as good effect. Ushers of Death?

Omen? hmmm, it is interesting if i'm honest, but perhaps carries to much baggage for you to be able to get away with it. Dark Omen?

It seems that they were always regarded as Omen, but become very ill with the rise of Christianity :rolleyes:

Rooks sounds fine, put a 'the' in front of any of those 3 birds and it sounds ok actually. You can also put 'war' in front of them to just as good effect. Ushers of Death?

Yes they do <_<

Omen? hmmm, it is interesting if i'm honest, but perhaps carries to much baggage for you to be able to get away with it. Dark Omen?

I’ve put it in temporarily as The O’men, desperately trying to give it a hint that there is more to the name – thought it now looks like a bad sci’-fi’ n’me’’’.

I also thought of Luna Ravens, to get the moon aspect in. The Raven Guard have a white raven (see Black Ravens wasn’t so bad!), and the moon is kinda white/ grey so a Luna Raven could be white? Or off White?

How about simply, The Rooks or The Ravens. No one uses singular animals in names anymore.

True, I was going to use ‘The Rooks’ but thought it sounded a little too Gothic, but I think they would make a good name for a chapter!

+++

Brushed up my Sharks, and added some very dodgy background on their origins, which is oh so fanboy :teehee:

Philip

Well since when has 'gothic' really been a problematic image for 40k :P ;)

But if your still not sure perhaps another idea may be to use something about reflections being the gateways to the other world, or trees, trees had a great deal of importance in the celtic world did they not, how about the Menhirs/Monoliths or some other reference to standing stones. Either way its all good stuff for fleshing them out, perhaps they carry certain types of wooden charm to ward of evil?

It is a celtic belief aswell. It was believed that if you saw a raven with a bloody wing, then you are going to die pretty soon and you should probably be measured for your coffin.

I've got a book somewhere that has the name for the raven of death, I'll post it up when I find it.

Cambrius

Well since when has 'gothic' really been a problematic image for 40k :) ;)

:) I was thinking something more Victorian gothic inspired for The Rooks?

But if your still not sure perhaps another idea may be to use something about reflections being the gateways to the other world, or trees, trees had a great deal of importance in the celtic world did they not, how about the Menhirs/Monoliths or some other reference to standing stones. Either way its all good stuff for fleshing them out, perhaps they carry certain types of wooden charm to ward of evil?

Good idea, I added in some standing stones (may replace the warp portal entirely with the stones description).

May need some nymphs at some point, otherwise no one is going to drown, and will live happily ever after.

It is a celtic belief aswell. It was believed that if you saw a raven with a bloody wing, then you are going to die pretty soon and you should probably be measured for your coffin.

I've got a book somewhere that has the name for the raven of death, I'll post it up when I find it.

A bloody wing? I like that, let me know what you find.

Perhaps a red forearm? I wonder if they should have any feathers like the Deathwatch of the Dark Angels, black with red tips?

++++

Update, did a new Certified marine as the colour scheme didn’t really work for me (GW’s painter didn’t really allow me to do what I wanted). The new one is based on one of the test images by Brother Argos, I dropped it into photoshop and worked it over (beautiful!), used a bit of the Mrk3 from the Space Sharks too.

Philip

Holy catfish batman! That new image for the Certified looks bloody awsome! I wish I had Photoshop. Moreso I wish I could draw. Damnit to hell.

Anyway wonderfull image! Remake them all if you can. I like the homeworld, but whats with the pinkness?

I love the Homeworld for the Maw, how are you creating those homeworld- worlds?

OMG I just saw the Space Sharks! You sir, are a god. Well maybe not, but you have a damn good eye and are bloody good with photoshop. Im sending someone to kidnap you by the way, so that you can work just for me!\

I love the armour on that Space Shark. I cant be sure if thats an actual armour mark or if its just a custom job. Whatever it is im stealing it.

The Certified are a Chapter I've complemented before. They certainly fall under the category of "Chapter concepts I wish I'd done first." - I have plenty of ideas for them, as well as issues I'd change. I'm curious as to where you've come up with the name from?

Ah phil, beautiful work, though one feels one should add 'as always' , inspiring stuff my friend well done :)

Victorian gothic inspired for The Rooks?

Ooooh nice, that would work. like beans and sausage, steam-celt-punk, tasty :)

May need some nymphs at some point, otherwise no one is going to drown

psycic jellyfish, like Sirens lure the unwary to a watery doom, problem solved ;)

Perhaps a red forearm?

That would be a pretty good idea actually, but perhaps save it for chaplain, maybe the chaplain has a cadre, you could give all them red arms and the chaplain a cloak of dark feathers and a beaky helm, Bloody wing or Red wing?

I wonder if they should have any feathers like the Deathwatch of the Dark Angels, black with red tips?

I would be careful lest you stray to close to the Deathwing imagery of the darkangels, if you think you can make it look different of course then go for it.

I was thinking about the Space Sharks symbol, whether to use the old side on version with the star or the new version which is head on, and which looked more threatening when Jaws popped into my head. A quick doodle later;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/PSibbering/Space_Sharks_Symbol.jpg

Now an I being silly or is this a good idea? It would be easy to simplify for painting onto a miniature’s shoulder pad. Too corny?

Holy catfish batman! That new image for the Certified looks bloody awesome!

Excellent, I was hoping it looked better.

Anyway wonderfull image! Remake them all if you can. I like the homeworld, but whats with the pinkness?

I intent to do them all as soon as the new v2 painter comes out. I have posted a couple modified from Brother Argos' fine prototype testers because I can’t wait!

As for the pink? It looked nice and it’s poisonous.

I love the Homeworld for the Maw, how are you creating those homeworld- worlds?

Ye olde flaming pear plugin for Photoshop – just hit the random dice! (and there goes the mystique!)

OMG I just saw the Space Sharks! You sir, are a god.

Thank you, I know.

Well maybe not

No really, I am.

but you have a damn good eye and are bloody good with photoshop. Im sending someone to kidnap you by the way, so that you can work just for me!\

Err - vengeful god that doesn’t like being kidnapped!

*Grabs a handful of lightning bolts*

I love the armour on that Space Shark. I cant be sure if thats an actual armour mark or if its just a custom job. Whatever it is im stealing it.

It's a mix of Mark 3 and Mark 6 (torso 3, rest 6).

The Certified are a Chapter I've complemented before. They certainly fall under the category of "Chapter concepts I wish I'd done first." - I have plenty of ideas for them, as well as issues I'd change.

I would really like to hear what you have to say, it can be really refreshing to get a new take on a concept, and see it though another eyes. Post away!

I'm curious as to where you've come up with the name from?

The Certified? Happy accident that sounded right, I can remember exactly what I was thinking, but when working them up I though that they were ‘certifiable’ as in mental, and then I thought about British attitudes to mental illness and combat crazies and it all seemed to fit (in Britain being mental is a sign of hardness). I then added the bit about them being ‘certified’ for killing the super tough Eldar (no idle boasts!) to give a reason for calling them certified.

Basically only a madman would charge an aspect warrior! And if they kill one, they then got a piece of paper to prove it. Now that it’s a chapter, I daresay they some of those purity seals are actually ‘certificates of killing’. Kinda like getting a 200m swimming certificate only for chopping of Eldar heads and whatnot.

I suppose all in all it ties into British craziness combined with a need for regimental order (and paperwork), to diametrically opposed concepts - probably a legacy from being over militarised in the past. That’s why (I think) the British can go from self righteous know it all prudes to lampooning nuts at a drop of a hat.

Anywho, I think that about covers it. They could have been called Bulldogs or some such, but I though that was too obvious.

Oh, and I suppose it’s a bit of an ‘in joke’, most around the world aren’t really aware how crazy the British are under the skin, and it’s infectious, I notice those from other cultures (second or more generation) have picked it up. If you grow up in Britain you may be unhinged.

Perhaps it’s the weather?

Ah phil, beautiful work, though one feels one should add 'as always' , inspiring stuff my friend well done :yes:

Thanks mate.

Victorian gothic inspired for The Rooks?

Ooooh nice, that would work. like beans and sausage, steam-celt-punk, tasty ;)

Yep. Maybe even a touch of the Frankenstein’s monster? Following in the footsteps of what Corax started :angry:

May need some nymphs at some point, otherwise no one is going to drown

psycic jellyfish, like Sirens lure the unwary to a watery doom, problem solved :no:

Noice (blame Bernie Mac for that)

Perhaps a red forearm?

That would be a pretty good idea actually, but perhaps save it for chaplain, maybe the chaplain has a cadre, you could give all them red arms and the chaplain a cloak of dark feathers and a beaky helm, Bloody wing or Red wing?

Yeah, something like that, with feathers on the shoulder pad, or like a sleeve. I may replace the purity seal parchment with a Raven feather, with a red tip.

I wonder if they should have any feathers like the Deathwatch of the Dark Angels, black with red tips?

I would be careful lest you stray to close to the Deathwing imagery of the darkangels, if you think you can make it look different of course then go for it.

I think they will, I’m thinking a sleeve of feathers of something (basically a row of feather attached to the forearm), or maybe carved like the Alpha Legions scales?

I’ll think on it.

Over and out.

Philip

(in Britain being mental is a sign of hardness)

I know, god do I ever know, everyone tries to be a nutcase. I lived there for 12 years.

Anyway, whenever I hear that name (certified) unfortunately I think of an aussie hip-hop group of a few different artists that refer to themselves as the "Certified Wise".

Dont ask my why I posted this, I dont know. Anyway im still stealing that armour detail, 'no power in the 'verse can stop me!'

*edit* Oh and is there any news on when the new painter will be coming out? I would donate money... but im broke. That and I would like to know where my money was going.

Archived