= New chapters =

Philip S

If you grow up in Britain you may be unhinged.

Hrm.

Well, I have to say that I don't much like the name, in a Space Marine setting. To me, it sounds too much like a nickname that'd be used by Imperial Guard vets or the like. That, or something to do with the world of business. To me, it doesn't gel with the grim darkness of the Far Future. It doesn't seem to really 'fit' alongside other Space Marine Chapter names, to my mind.

It's a mix of Mark 3 and Mark 6 (torso 3, rest 6).

I know this is completely and totally off topic but is there any way to get the earlier armour marks in model form? I say this because I havent modelled anything in so bloody long that I think I may botch a model horrendusly and that is something I would rather not do.

Anyway I want to see more!....

...those guys should be there by now... kidnappers are such prima-donnas.....

*edit* Those Marines you have made using the new stuff, is that purely using the new version? Or is it that good only after using photoshop?

Dont ask my why I posted this, I dont know. Anyway im still stealing that armour detail, 'no power in the 'verse can stop me!'

If I wanted to keep it secret I wouldn’t have posted it – you are welcome to use it! (a tad Napoleonic? But I like it).

*edit* Oh and is there any news on when the new painter will be coming out?

Apparently sometime soon, but I have no inside info.

To me, it sounds too much like a nickname that'd be used by Imperial Guard vets or the like. That, or something to do with the world of business. To me, it doesn't gel with the grim darkness of the Far Future. It doesn't seem to really 'fit' alongside other Space Marine Chapter names, to my mind.

I disagree, but that's not a bad thing, in fact it’s a good thing - because it leads to diversity!

I am hoping you will post your alternated version and show me how you would do it, I have no problem with you using my ideas as a base. I like seeing other’s visions because it always shows me something new; as I am well aware of my own imagination but not yours, so show me what you are thinking!

To illustrate the point: I had a similar disagreement over on the BI about Orks being ‘fungus’ or ‘mammal’.

My thread using the ‘fungus’ concept of Orks is here;

http://forum.blackindustries.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4678

The alternates from Grand Theogonists and Athelassan using the 'mammal' base are here;

http://forum.blackindustries.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5786

http://forum.blackindustries.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6980

And a follow up concept based on my thought laid out in my thread (showing how it all flows through);

http://forum.blackindustries.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9562

Apologies if Warhammer fantasy is not your cup of tea, but I hope it illustrates that I'm sincere in hearing your alternate versions and may even help out! I think strong ideas will rise and weak fall, but sometime there are many strong ideas with different flavours so why discard them?

I really don’t see it as either/ or issue, this chapter is unofficial so there could be many takes on it.

It's a mix of Mark 3 and Mark 6 (torso 3, rest 6).

I know this is completely and totally off topic but is there any way to get the earlier armour marks in model form? I say this because I havent modelled anything in so bloody long that I think I may botch a model horrendusly and that is something I would rather not do.

Mailorder? Ebay? No idea.

Anyway I want to see more!....

OK, I put up some icons… hardly worth mentioning!

...those guys should be there by now... kidnappers are such prima-donnas.....

*Nips off to pulls pins out of the claymores*.

*edit* Those Marines you have made using the new stuff, is that purely using the new version? Or is it that good only after using photoshop?

It’s photoshoped test imagines from this thread;

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t=0&start=0

And photoshoped images created using the old version.

+++

Change the Celtic chapter to Blazing Spears (doesn’t seem to be used?) after the Spear of Lugh. I will change if I have a better idea.

Note, may have to hit refresh to see the icons.

Philip

Really liking all the new symbols phil, though I would rather see a place for both new and old space shark symbols. And its a shame you changed the name of the Omen that was pretty cool, Could I persuade you to change it again from the Blazing Saddl..I mean spears to the Burning Blade or something as I dont thing Blazing is a word the really captures the essence of a celtic themed chapter. Sorry to be negative mate.

Is that the spear of Lugh of the Red Branch, or is it red hand, by the way.

God I wish I had photoshop.....

You could grab a copy of Photoshop Elements, it does much the same thing but without all the fancy pro colour management stuff, and it takes Photoshop plugin – so you can use the flaming pear plugin and create those worlds! (Photoshop element sometimes come free with scanners and cameras, so it may be worth checking any free software CDs). Also paint shop pro, some older versions turn up on the front of PC mags.

I you want a free image editor you could try GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/

And to get photoshop plugins to work with it;

http://members.home.nl/m.weisbeek/gimp/#ps

Not sure if the flaming pear plugin work with it, but you can also grab a trail version of the flaming pear plugin to try it all out before you buy.

Really liking all the new symbols phil, though I would rather see a place for both new and old space shark symbols.

Maybe I'll swap them about, the new symbol could end up as the Blood Sharks symbol (they are grey with red shoulder pads and black trim).

And its a shame you changed the name of the Omen that was pretty cool, Could I persuade you to change it again from the Blazing Saddl..I mean spears to the Burning Blade or something as I dont thing Blazing is a word the really captures the essence of a celtic themed chapter. Sorry to be negative mate.

No worries! It's good to hear what you think – I swapped it back to the ‘Omen’, and added a little bit of detailing.

Is that the spear of Lugh of the Red Branch, or is it red hand, by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_of_Lugh

Anyway, I changed it back, and updated: so no spear of Lugh! As it is a ‘Celtic’ theme I’m thinking it was getting a bit to Irish heavy, and neglecting the others, so the Spear may return as a tribe (company) specific treasure?

Philip

I swapped it back to the ‘Omen’, and added a little bit of detailing.

Oh thats a nice little touch, I hope you can find a use for your burning spear though cos that was good.

As it is a ‘Celtic’ theme I’m thinking it was getting a bit to Irish heavy,

Its a blurry line phil, and the Irish legends are possible more prominent.

The Certified, could the dog motiff also not represent old English fairy tales of the black dog, an omen of doom, death and misfortune, its what the hound of the baskervilles was based on.

I swapped it back to the ‘Omen’, and added a little bit of detailing.

Oh thats a nice little touch, I hope you can find a use for your burning spear though cos that was good.

I'm sure I will, do you have any chapters that need a burning spear with blue flame?

As it is a ‘Celtic’ theme I’m thinking it was getting a bit to Irish heavy,

Its a blurry line phil, and the Irish legends are possible more prominent.

Indeed it is, though I thinking a more general Celtic theme for the whole chapter, then individual themes for the companies, so the Irish theme would now be a company theme, along with a welsh theme, a Brittany theme etc. Having said that the Bards may be heavily influence by Irish myth.

The Certified, could the dog motiff also not represent old English fairy tales of the black dog, an omen of doom, death and misfortune, its what the hound of the baskervilles was based on.

I was thinking of pitbull, then bulldogs, I may go with a bulldog design and use the current rosette design as a purity seal or honours mark.

?

Philip

I'm sure I will, do you have any chapters that need a burning spear with blue flame?

Errr hang on i'll go check...yes, yes I do :rolleyes:

then individual themes for the companies

That would work very well I think, its such a rich source that I suspect if you tried it any other way you would have trouble deciding what to include without it becoming to confused or a mess of ideas, this way you have your cake to eat whenever you like <_<

Having said that the Bards may be heavily influence by Irish myth.

Id say stick with the welsh bards, who were also druids if memory serves, was not Taliesin one of the most noted of the priest bards of wales. For Ireland go with the red branch champions(possible assault marines(can you have assault companies)) and the the spear of Lugh(possible xenos weapon taken from the sidh) Though I dunno Id be interested as to what caught your eye with regards to irish bards.

You also have your gaelic Nuadha of the silver hand(a war god like Mars apparently), so special bionics could be on the cards, perhaps a candidate for chapter master?

I was thinking of pitbull, then bulldogs, I may go with a bulldog design and use the current rosette design as a purity seal or honours mark.

Those are all good too, had you considered the mastiff at all as it has quite a strong and recognisable profile(which is also more angular and so cleaner) Perhaps you could use that for another time, as I like your bulldog idea.

Update: Blood Sharks colour scheme added.

Errr hang on i'll go check...yes, yes I do :P

Which one?

then individual themes for the companies

That would work very well I think, its such a rich source that I suspect if you tried it any other way you would have trouble deciding what to include without it becoming to confused or a mess of ideas, this way you have your cake to eat whenever you like :)

That’s the plan! I added some Bolters with clan markings to give an idea.

Having said that the Bards may be heavily influence by Irish myth.

Id say stick with the welsh bards, who were also druids if memory serves, was not Taliesin one of the most noted of the priest bards of wales. For Ireland go with the red branch champions(possible assault marines(can you have assault companies)) and the the spear of Lugh(possible xenos weapon taken from the sidh) Though I dunno Id be interested as to what caught your eye with regards to irish bards.

You also have your gaelic Nuadha of the silver hand(a war god like Mars apparently), so special bionics could be on the cards, perhaps a candidate for chapter master?

Some nice ideas, an a silver hand does suggest bionics (of Necrons tech- joking!). Maybe the first company, made up of all the tribes leaders, is a mix of all kinds of bards and druids from the various cultures.

I thinking of added Gaul and Briton as minor tribes (to get them up to 8).

Brittany

Cornwall

Ireland

Isle of Man

Scotland

Wales

Briton

Gaul

+ the missing tribe to make nine, and the tenth is the scouts (various tribes all mixed together, or maybe assigned to the companies in a Black Templar kinda way - being non-codex this may work.)

Those are all good too, had you considered the mastiff at all as it has quite a strong and recognisable profile(which is also more angular and so cleaner) Perhaps you could use that for another time, as I like your bulldog idea.

I went with a red bulldog (aka Bloody Bulldogs!), I wanted something a bit more threatening and more 'thug'.

I also changed the Space Sharks symbol back to the ‘face on’ version, and the rising shark has been added to the Blood Sharks. I didn’t much like the old round ‘smiley face’ feel to the old Space Shark symbol, so I modified it a bit to get it to look a bit meaner (?).

Philip

Update: Blood Sharks colour scheme added.

Whoa, cool, they look hardcore ^_^ As to the blood red seas, virulent algal blooms perhaps, starve the water of oxygen, light and alters surface ph, there by starving out all other life, only those life forms who have evolved on the bottom of the oceans are unaffected. The algae also traps anything that falls into it, its possibly sticky like tar and so you may have predatory scavengers who lurk below waiting to drag anything that falls into it to a nasty end. You could have crust islands like dried scabs that blob about and are home to colonies of birdlike things, or stuff that can run across the surface of the algae. Also the algae could emit a flammable gas as a waste product which you could either mine as a resource or have explode every 100 years as the atmosphere hits critical mass.

Not sure about sacrifices though, arent you worried about them being labelled heretical?

I added some Bolters with clan markings to give an idea.

Lol oh my phil, I had visions of little scotch terriers with those little tartan waistcoats ;) perhaps a single band of tartan might work better? though my advise would be to lose the tartan, its to strong a flavour.

I like the other one though.

Which one

The brand new Burning Blades, inspired by that very symbol no less :tu:

What about the germanic tribes of celts(they were the largest group) any thoughts about representing them. Though you could have a successor chapter to the Omen that deals exclusively with continental celts like those.

I went with a red bulldog (aka Bloody Bulldogs!), I wanted something a bit more threatening and more 'thug'.

I like that, its different.

I didn’t much like the old round ‘smiley face’ feel to the old Space Shark symbol,

Really, I thought it was rather good, you know it might be an idea to leave the original symbol with the space sharks but use the other one for one of their successors(like with the blood sharks) That way you keep the purists happy but you get to experiment with all the other shark type imagery you like.

As to the blood red seas, virulent algal blooms perhaps, starve the water of oxygen, light and alters surface ph, there by starving out all other life, only those life forms who have evolved on the bottom of the oceans are unaffected. The algae also traps anything that falls into it, its possibly sticky like tar and so you may have predatory scavengers who lurk below waiting to drag anything that falls into it to a nasty end. You could have crust islands like dried scabs that blob about and are home to colonies of birdlike things, or stuff that can run across the surface of the algae. Also the algae could emit a flammable gas as a waste product which you could either mine as a resource or have explode every 100 years as the atmosphere hits critical mass.

Oooo, I like that – Scabbie Island.

Not sure about sacrifices though, arent you worried about them being labelled heretical?

Nah, I thinking they chuck Ork leaders and what not down there, and the occasional nosy Inquisitior! (Playing – honest!)

I added some Bolters with clan markings to give an idea.

Lol oh my phil, I had visions of little scotch terriers with those little tartan waistcoats :tu: perhaps a single band of tartan might work better? though my advise would be to lose the tartan, its to strong a flavour.

I like the other one though.

The other one is from the flag of Brittany, as for the Tartan I will change it at some point because that’s a real tartan that belongs to someone! I thinking a simplified tartan design, but with the vertical lines running at a diagonal – I’ll try that out later.

Which one

The brand new Burning Blades, inspired by that very symbol no less ^_^

You are welcome to use.

What about the germanic tribes of celts(they were the largest group) any thoughts about representing them.

Guess which tribe got wiped out by Agrona?

Though you could have a successor chapter to the Omen that deals exclusively with continental celts like those.

That may be a good idea.

I didn’t much like the old round ‘smiley face’ feel to the old Space Shark symbol,

Really, I thought it was rather good, you know it might be an idea to leave the original symbol with the space sharks but use the other one for one of their successors(like with the blood sharks) That way you keep the purists happy but you get to experiment with all the other shark type imagery you like.

The new symbol is similar just a bit more, I don’t know, better? The other (official one after the original shark with a star) was to comical, it was to ‘Ork’.

Don't forget there is a Black Shark version of this grey and white shark for their 'special ops' company (and maybe a 'Black Sharks' successor with a black shark fin symbol).

Philip

+++++++++

PS: EDIT - UPDATE: Rainbow Warriors redone.

+++++++++

++++++++++

Update 28 June: Couldn't wait for painter v2 so I've put in some temporary v1 images of the marines. All chapters now have world and symbol images too. All crits and ideas welcome.

Philip

PS: If you've been to my site before and you can't see the changes hit refresh ;)

+++++++++++

The Omen... just... I love it!

The celtic symbols you have grafted onto the armour look mint mate.

I love the weapon the Blood Shark is holding, frickin good work there.

The rainbow lovers... err... warriors are just so bloody good. You've outdone yourself there.

Im no fanboy, but those are some bloody well done chapters there. Im especially gushing over the images, for the simple reason that I cant create anything like that myself.

You gotta work for me! haha!

*edit* where are those damn 'nappers? *sigh*

Thanks all :yes:

I added some minor updates (I would be interested in what you thought of the Aquamarines and the cult idea? Too far?)

@ Grey Hunter Ydalir: I heard a loud bang outside, but when I went out there was no one about…

@ Cambrius: Let me know what you find!

Philip

• 1 month later...

Love the Aquamarines make over phol they look superb mate :P

Fomorians actually means people beneath the sea, might not Fir Bolg suit orks better, Also the Fomorians had Balor the one eyed(had the evil eye aswell), perhaps the Omen have a problem with the Thousand sons.

An Idea for the Chapter Master of the Omen, why not give him the Honorific of Ildana which means master of the all Arts, I was thinking chapter masters would have to prove they have mastered all the disciplines of the chapter before they are deemed worthy.

This is a little except I found about bards which has some interesting notions that to be a bard you have to endure some kind of misfortune or hardship that tempers you.

"an ancient Celtic tradition which still survives today that who ever dares spend the night alone either upon the chair of the giant Idris or under the haunted black stone of Arddu will be found in the morning either inspired or mad"

Love the Aquamarines make over phol they look superb mate :tu:

Cheers!

Fomorians actually means people beneath the sea, might not Fir Bolg suit orks better, Also the Fomorians had Balor the one eyed(had the evil eye aswell), perhaps the Omen have a problem with the Thousand sons.

Interesting idea, though the Orks could come from a crashed hulk at the bottom of the sea!

Ork Warboss' often have a bionic eye?

An Idea for the Chapter Master of the Omen, why not give him the Honorific of Ildana which means master of the all Arts, I was thinking chapter masters would have to prove they have mastered all the disciplines of the chapter before they are deemed worthy.

Sounds about right.

This is a little except I found about bards which has some interesting notions that to be a bard you have to endure some kind of misfortune or hardship that tempers you.

"an ancient Celtic tradition which still survives today that who ever dares spend the night alone either upon the chair of the giant Idris or under the haunted black stone of Arddu will be found in the morning either inspired or mad"

This is pretty sweet, perhaps it could be part of the initiation? Maybe combine it with the standing stones angle/ ancient Slann tech?

Philip

Dazzo everything's still looking awesome on the site! :tu: for all of the hard work you've put in (and I feel somewhat smug since I gave the idea for the Omen :)) I've found out something interesting about celtic bards. You should never insult one as if you did, he would curse you and the following bad kuck may follow:

You lose your next battle

You break out in blisters

Or strangely, you only speak in baby talk (I somehow doubt that's true though...)

All 3 can happen at once or they can be isolated incidents.

Hope this helps add a little more info to the Omen,

Cambrius

cool. I really like the rag tag feel of the Certified. Reminds me of the Space Wolves in a way(which is never a bad thing). also, I'd make the ampullae of Lorenzini a mutation of the Omophagea(as all sharks have them). Also(this isn't really a sugesstion or anything) I was kind of disapointed that the Space Sharks didn't use Drednaughts(pictures longimanus based drednaught) hell yeah

I was just re-reading the Dragon based chapter and I'm just wondering, are all of the dragons in the chapter based on chinese dragons? I'm sorry to put forward the Welsh again but it is on our flag and it's one of our most important signs of Wales.

Also, regarding the Omen. Which celtic tribes represent each company? I know you've used Cornwall, Scotland, Wales and Ireland but who are the rest?

Forgive my curiostiy,

Cambrius

For your Red Maw chapter, how are you making the red thirst affect them. Im working on a blood angels successor that cured the black rage, but the thirst consumes them and they almost get banished for their blood ceremonies. im trying to incorporate a lot of chaplains to watch over the marines, espeically the assault groups, and i was just wondering how your having these guys deal with the thirst. great stuff though, really liked the Dante bit.

@ Grey Hunter Ydalir: I heard a loud bang outside, but when I went out there was no one about…

Damn claymores..... :)

I like the whole 'sitting on the chair till sunrise' thing. Makes me want to go and do it. Im already completely unhinged (yes I did grow up in the UK, now I live in Australia, where all the nuts go eventually anyway) so there is no risk of me losing it more than I already have. Its why 40k is so perfect, things dont necissarily have to make normal logical sense, they just have to connect...... ;)

Anyway, any more chapters to come or are these the final few?

Interesting idea, though the Orks could come from a crashed hulk at the bottom of the sea!

Ork Warboss' often have a bionic eye?

Well I was thinking the underwater theme was more a metaphor for the warp than a literal translation, besides which orks cant live underwater, they might have hit the water when landing but the chances are if it was a deep body of water most would not have survived. Especially if there were nasty critters in the water ready to chow down some orky goodness :teehee: Are you proposing sea orks?

And with regards to magnus and the thousand sons, it might be from legends about the coming of the imperium to this world, it need not represent continuing problems, just a thought.

And yes bionics would be a good way around the cyclopean issue but a real cyclops is better than a fake one in my view :pinch:

Dazzo everything's still looking awesome on the site!

I think you mean Phil, and yes it is.

also, I'd make the ampullae of Lorenzini a mutation of the Omophagea(as all sharks have them).

Nice idea, I’ll think on it :yes:

Also(this isn't really a sugesstion or anything) I was kind of disapointed that the Space Sharks didn't use Drednaughts(pictures longimanus based drednaught) hell yeah

They have no real need of them, though I suppose there may be one, tucked away somewhere ;)

I was just re-reading the Dragon based chapter and I'm just wondering, are all of the dragons in the chapter based on chinese dragons? I'm sorry to put forward the Welsh again but it is on our flag and it's one of our most important signs of Wales.

Yep, the Dragons are a Chinese based chapter, so no welsh dragons. Nice idea for a new chapters though.

Also, regarding the Omen. Which celtic tribes represent each company? I know you've used Cornwall, Scotland, Wales and Ireland but who are the rest?

From an earlier post;

Brittany

Cornwall

Ireland

Isle of Man

Scotland

Wales

Briton

Gaul

I am open to suggestions.

For your Red Maw chapter, how are you making the red thirst affect them

The Red Maw are much like the Blood Angels except the curse is worse and the effects become apparent much earlier in a marines life. They drink blood and lots of it. Their primary diet group is blood! Consisting of the four major food, err, blood groups (A, B, AB, and O) :P

I not really sure a chapter of marines would be excommunicated from bizarre blood drinking rituals, it seems very common.

Anyway, any more chapters to come or are these the final few?

I’ve been working up the Blood Eagles from this thread;

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=113058

I just added them to the list here

Are you proposing sea orks?

There is an old myth of Orcs that were like sea pigs with tusks. Perhaps the Ork ecosystem can handle sea terra-forming, a spore landing in the sea becomes aquatic!

Perhaps some type of Ork/ squig hybrid thing?

Or maybe Orks are more adaptable then first meets the eye, and an Ork that dwells in sea water for any length of time will gain webbed hands and feet and maybe even gills! A from on evolution where the animal transforms to match it's surroundings, rather than the usual route of generations dying off out and those random few with advantage mutations rise to the top. Here the evolution aspect may be the weird symbiotic algae thing, where some strains die off/ become dormant in seawater and others come to the fore bring about changes.

It also open up the idea that there may be other types of Ork, perhaps ones specially designs for deserts of volcanic worlds with tough crabby skin.

And yes bionics would be a good way around the cyclopean issue but a real cyclops is better than a fake one in my view :)

How about a ‘mad boy’ with Psyker third eye of death?

Philip

Archived