Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modelling: A how to do feathers and wings tutorial

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Caroline

Caroline

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
Hello!
This tutorial is about how to do feathers and wings, and I´m going to show you how I do it, feel free to come with other ideas you have about this. I hope I can give some help and ideas. (pardon my bad English)

I use this tools: greenstuff, one bit of a blade and a sculpting tool (and a pair of scissors)
Posted Image

Drill a hole straight through the torso and pull a steel thread through it. Then put a lot of glue on it.
Posted Image

Take a lump of greenstuff and fix it to the steel thread, see to right on the picture. Make sure you got damp fingers so you dont get caught to the greenstuff. This is important to everything you do with greenstuff. Your fingers and tools most bee damp all the time it touch the greenstuff.

After it has dry cut out some triangles along the lower edge. I cut them out with a scissors.
Posted Image

Dont forget to look at some pictures how real wings look like, or your wings will look funny as mine. ( I will look at some pictures before I do my next wings, this one is just a test :D)

Wings doesnt look like this:
Posted Image

Do the feathers in stages, so you not destroy what you have already done. This mean that it will take a long time to do a whole wing, but every stage is quickly to do, so do a little bit every day and they will be ready soon. :P

Start with to roll a lump of green stuff between your fingers and put it on the wing.
Posted Image

Flatten the lump
Posted Image

Do the upper edge extra flat because your next layer with feathers will lie over this layer. Smooth the surface with a finger.
Posted Image

Do some cuts with the sculpting tool on suitable distances.

Make the lower edge pointed.
Posted Image

Take the blade and do two cuts in the middle of every feather.
Posted Image

Do many smal cuts with the blade on both sides of the middle.
Posted Image

If you comes outside the feather with the bladecuts, smooth out the surface on the other feather or it will look bad.
Posted Image

As you can see here on the farthest feathers.
Posted Image

So, now you are ready with this piece. Let it dry and then do another piece.
Posted Image

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the wings when the are ready. They are not finished yet, but I had promised to do this tutorial this week so I hope it will be okay anyway.

Of course you don´t have to be insane enough to sculpt a whole pair of wings to have use of this. ;) This can also be useful if you have some plastic, or metallic, wings somewhere and want to hide the changeover. Like on this space marine:
Posted Image

Or if you want to do a single feather:
Posted Image

Questions and comments are welcome.

Have fun!

S.P.O_o.N

S.P.O_o.N

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
Nice turtorial! The feathers are beautiful! ;)

Marovingean

Marovingean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 655 posts
That's really useful, especially for my new Dark Angels!

M
Marovingean
They say, in Death, all things become clear.
CMON
My B&C Blog

Toddlich

Toddlich

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
They turn out great,Thanks for the tutorial.

Know i might have the guts to try and make me a champ with wings on his Pack! :D

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,138 posts
Excellent tutorial!
Thanks! :)

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

mekboy bigdakka

mekboy bigdakka

++ LUPUS CÆRULEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,584 posts
This is a good tutorial Caroline. Do you mind if we clean it up and format it for Our Librarium?
Submit or I'll kick you to death.

Caroline

Caroline

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
Thank you all for your comments, I´m glad if it can be to some use.

mekboy bigdakka, of course you can clean it up and take it to the librarium. I´m flattered that you ask.

mekboy bigdakka

mekboy bigdakka

++ LUPUS CÆRULEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,584 posts
Alright guys, Tutorial is up!

Tutorial: Feathers and Wings

Sorry it took so long to get it all cleaned up. Have a read of it Caroline and make sure everything is to your liking. Also, is there any chance of a completed wing pic I can add to the article?

Mek
Legio B&C Codicier
Submit or I'll kick you to death.

Caroline

Caroline

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 27 posts
It´s looking very good, thank you Mekboy Bigdakka! The wings are almost ready, but I´m busy with my examinations now so I post some pics as soon as I can after that.

40kChris

40kChris

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 422 posts
exactly what i was looking for!!!
thank you

Grim

Loesh -  Forge World is the leading cause of IRL Chaos Worshipers... it's not hard to see why... 

https://twitter.com/40kchris  

http://ahostofwordbearers.blogspot.com

*Phototbucket hijacked my sig pics and badges*

Your account name here

Your account name here

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 134 posts
Beauts, thats what they are. You just made my day. I may actually attempt some sculpting now.

Edited by Your account name here, 25 September 2007 - 08:31 PM.

Crackle and clash go the hammer of war, the anvil of pain.

For those who are oblivious, do they recognize that what everything they do could be a horrible thing to someone else? For instance: Oh the little bellmaker polished off his big brass bell, kissed it, and smiled.
The Big brass bell rang, and the family cried as their loved one was put to rest.
So be carefull what you do....