Painting: Wet Pallete Tutorial

This is great. I have made one of these (using grease-proof paper instead of parchment as it's all I had to hand), and it's working perfectly. Foundation paint put on it 24 hours ago is still liquid today, and not looking like it's gonna dry up any time soon. As a bonus it seems to thin the paints to the right consistency (foundation at least), so it's all good!

fantastic tutorial, this changed the way I painted when I first found it. I did find out the hard way (and several times) that forgetting about it and leaving the lid on for a week or two leads to nasty molding. :) Common sense I know, but it surprised me, and I had to make a new one.

fantastic tutorial, this changed the way I painted when I first found it. I did find out the hard way (and several times) that forgetting about it and leaving the lid on for a week or two leads to nasty molding. :lol: Common sense I know, but it surprised me, and I had to make a new one.

that depends on your environment, ive left paint in for several weeks with no issues, closed havent touched it for awhile..actually i have one like that right now :P

Alex

• 2 years later...

I am sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am and adamant supporter of the wet palette.

depends on your environment...all day is common as long as its not under a lamp, or your house isnt extra humid or extra dry...

if its in a container with a lid, you can keep it good for multiple days, just be careful sme colours will change hue, becaus ethey seperate, and you cant get them back to the original colour..so you will have to apply a new puddle of paint

i find this happens when painting my armies, but not so much on anything else...could be the colours more than anything

I have found that while my paints do separate, a little mixing (and maybe adding a tad more paint) brings the color(s) back to normal.

Just to add: I use a wet pallette for soaking decals. It's much more controllable than immersing them in water. I put a tutorial up here.

In the UK, baking parchment is what you want - greaseproof paper is sometimes not water-permeable which will stop your palette from doing what it should. Available right next to the greaseproof paper / tin foil normally.

Is there any semi-permeable membrane type paper around which can be used (the sort which allows moisture one-way? Or does baking paper do that anyway?

ANd can I use say an anti-bac and anti-fungal washing up liquid in the water to as a flow improve and also to prevent micrbial growth in the underlying tissues/sponges?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
pictures dont work and I really want this tut!

anyone have pictures of the needed steps.

Mate, get a tupperware box, sling in a surface wiping sponge (the ones about 1/4" thick), slap in some water to wet the sponge, slap on a piece of tracing paper/bakign parchment and its done. Its that easy :cuss

Archived