The Mods Contest Blog

Joker- Post #1

Awesome, a new contest, and the ability to talk about it!

My contest entry is going to be a bit on the ambitious side. I'll be modelling a power-armored, non-elevated-to-demon-status, Primarch.

More info to come when I get home tonight!

Lord Ragnarok Post 1

I'm also very excited to participate in this contest eventhough I'm not a good modeller/ painter. This entry will be added to my new chaos army.

I'll be doing Astral Claw Aspiring Champion Crixis in their latest accepted livery.

The Angelus Sanctus aka The Bunny Post #1

I'm thrilled that there is a new competition, as it will be great to see some of the work everyone pumps out.

Still debating what type of entry i am to do. However i'm sure once i've decided, the mini will definitely be ambitious by my standards.

Good luck to all!!

Chaplain Lucifer post #1

I already know what entry I'm going to do.. materials are being scavenged. No, it's not a Fallen, it would be to obvious for a DA mod to do a Fallen. .. It will be an icon to my ever growing hatred for chaos. :wink:

It will be grand and it will smoke out the mod competition.. (No, I am not bribing Desmodus to paint it for me, before you ask)

Well it's been Ages since I've even attempted to do a contest with the mods here. Last time I got a good troucing. I expect nothing short this time either. :lol: I am just going for a basic marine me thinks. Not sure which legion or anything. Perhaps something classic like black legion, not sure. Expect a WIPsoon.

well I'm all in. I think this time around I'm gonna try something I haven't before so Word bearers will be my entry. hopefully the gs will be cured and my wip will be up this weekend.

Well it's been Ages since I've even attempted to do a contest with the mods here. Last time I got a good troucing. I expect nothing short this time either. :whistling: I am just going for a basic marine me thinks. Not sure which legion or anything. Perhaps something classic like black legion, not sure. Expect a WIPsoon.

Good to have you back and aboard for this one :lol:

Elijah post numer 1.

Nutsy (the squirrel) and Mr. Fluffers (the cat) have, once again, been conscripted to ensure my win.

J
oker- Post #2

OK, after 12-ish hours of mediocre suspense-

I am going to attempt to model and paint Konrad Curze, the Night Haunter, Primarch of the Night Lords.

He will be sitting on a throne [my apologies to the UK readers for the unintentional slang], awaiting the arrival of the Callidus Assassin M'shen. I have decided to change a few of the aesthetic touches writen into the fluff regarding the situation as I don't like them, and I think it will look better my way! ^_^

The picture below is the notes from my brainstorming/stream of consciousness session when I was planning the entry. This type of thing is quite normal for me to do with a competition model and as this IS a blog of sorts I thought it was a fitting addition.

http://jokersminiatures.com/BCBlog3/kc1.jpg

I hope you got something out of this and I'll be back as often as I can with updates. :turned:

++Edit++ A cat and a squirrel were in my front yard this evening... it almost looked like they were talking to each other and I know I've seen that cat before... :(

Since we are counting, Inky Post #2

Well I completed the construction and priming of my model. And after seeing joker sketches, well I suck. LOL In all seriousness I can't wait to see that. I went with a very simple and very basic chaos possessed like guy. Kinda to show others if you don't have a lot of time or bitz or any money to spend you can still enter have fun and participate all with a few bitz you should have laying about.

Here it is, sorry for the crappy pic, I'll see if I can fix it for the painted one in the future.

med_gallery_56_607_60513.jpg

Right, like the rest of the staff I've been gently 'encouraged' to enter this competition ;) So here I am with my first entry in the communal blog thread. Like several other Mods I'm actually starting (or re-starting/adding to) a Chaos army and like a couple of others it seems Night Lords are my Legion of choice. I wonder what that says about the Mods? Probably just that we like to lurk in the shadows then jump out and yell 'Boo!' to scare folks :P

My entry for the contest is going to be one of the Raptors that will form the basis of my Night Lords army, an army based on B&C lore - for it is led by Xamot Hell, brother to Warmaster Tomax Hell of the 17th Legion of Fear (Joker's own NL army). Tomax of course is one of the Legio B&C's greatest foes, most recently facing them on Antioc in our last Arena of Death. In the stories that link the various AoDs Xamot is revealed to use Raptors (amongst other troops) to do his dirty work so I'm planning an initial 500 point army with a handful of troops and a couple of Raptor squads led by Xamot (a Sorceror). Which of course is all well and good but not much to do with the contest, right?

So, here is very quick, slightly blurry and generally not-quite-right snap shot of one of my WIP Night Lords test minis:

med_gallery_385_727_75374.jpg

I've never been happy with my golds and this mini doesn't do anything to change my mind there so the second test mini I'm working on replaces the golds with silvers. It's really just a question of how NL he'll look in that scheme. That said the blue isn't too bad, in real life at least, it isn't great in the pic and I've deliberately fudged the reds here 'cos I have no problem with reds after my Brazen Claws. The shoulders need finishing as do the base, bolter & eyes, he could do with another blue highlight or two and then a couple of glazes to tie it together, but all in all this gives me the confidence I need to keep ploughing forward...

Given how quickly (or rather, how slowly) I paint my minis I suspect that the miniature I enter in the contest will be one of the first couple of Raptors, probably this guy:

med_gallery_385_727_207188.jpg

Now I just need the weather in Perth to break so I can prime him, in the meantime I'll start cleaning up a second Raptor, being careful not to stab myself on his damned spiky bitz like I did the first one :sweat:

For those interested in following the progress of the army itself you can keep up to date at Spiky Bitz - my Night Lords blog

Finally arrived, almost too late for the party hosted in my own backyard! So yeah; thrilled to be participating, blahdiblah; you know the drill by now.

I'm just glad to be on this side of the ocean, with Nutsy and Mr. Fluffers on the job again; biological warfare's a scary proposition :devil:

Speaking of which , here is the start of my own blogging attempt.

Daeothar Post #1:

As of now, this is all purely conceptional and things might still change along the way. When doing a one-off (as I'm not planning on building a Chaos army. yet...) I usually have it all figured out in my head before I even start. The background story, the atmosphere, the look etc. All of which will inevitably evolve when the actual creation begins. So, as a little diclaimer; this will most probably not be how we'll end up. Here goes anyhow:

I am looking to create an emanciated Nurgle champion. Not the bloated puss ridden blobs that tend to be the usual image, but inspired by Mortarion's original imagery. Like a marine Psycho Mantis.

For those of you who don't know Metal Gear Solid (shame on you); he's a reed thin, psycho with a gasmask on, wrapped all in clinging black leather. He does not speak but has strong psychic powers and is quite the unhinged individual. Linkydeclick

I intend on making my entry much similar, stepping away from the established Nurgle imagery. He's to have vials of vicious green stuff on his belt probably, I'll make him longer and thinner and he'll probably be toting a plasmapistol and a plaguesword. They seem to fit the image. He'll have the obligatory gasmask; two circular eye pieces and a hose hanging down. His stance will be much like the picture I linked to. Think of him as the spreader of disease, the Harbringer of Death, a character that operates alone but through his actions, can doom whole worlds. He does not speak but uses worshippers as puppets to do his bidding and spread the word of the loving embrace of Father Nurgle. Without a name, known past, audible voice or any recognisable insignia, he's simply known by the faded number on his shoulderpad, and this is only whispered in either fear or raptured idolation; 13...

His armour will predominantly be blackish, with green undertones, his arms will be bare (and thin), with a sickly pallor to them. He'll bear no marking whatsoever but the Roman numeral XIII on his shoulderplate. I was heavily influenced by the Deep Purple song Fools, when I came up with this idea;

I'm crying I'm dying

I can see what's wrong with me

It's in my head

I can see what's gonna be

As I lie in my bed

Man is not my brotherhood

I am of the dead

I died as I lived as I loved and was born

On some distant hill

The reasons to hide were the reasons I cried

Fools pass laughing still

There can be bad blood in all I can see

It's in my brain

You don't know the pain I feel

As I must live again

Rocks and stones can't bruise my soul but

Tears will leave a stain

They smile to themselves as they lay down my head

On some distant hill

The blind and the child sweep a tear from their eye

Fools smile as they kill

I got my own way to go and now I want

To take your minds

I believe if you could see

The blood between the lines

I believe that you could be

A better kind

Please lead the way so the unborn can play

On some greener hill

Laugh as the flames eat their burning remains

Fools die laughing still

Now is that Dark or what? Awesome song that; I can listen to it time and time again. And probably will when doing up XIII :tu:

He's tied to the pole.. but that gives me an idea.. Empaled would be cooler :rolleyes:

Well still living would be cooler. And if they worship Slaanesh, preferable.

okays like I said in my prior post I'm doing a word bearer for the contest. after a little thought I wanted to try something a little diffrent so here is my model before priming.

med_gallery_1805_634_39527.jpgmed_gallery_1805_634_53300.jpg

med_gallery_1805_634_84393.jpgmed_gallery_1805_634_53888.jpg

I still have to clean up some of the gs work, remove some flash I just noticed and then its on to paint. I had to canibalize my backpack off another mini to explain why it has primer.

Archived