Gav Thorpe on upcoming Chaos Codex

Wendigo

well it seems to work ok with the Inquisition army lists as allies to Marines/ Guard.

if they don't work out the second Chaos 'dex like that I will be very disappointed.

my Alpha Legion list it totally wrecked- I had cultists and daemon packs as Troops choices.

I won't mind having to take chaos marines as my compulsory Troops choices as long as I can get cultists back when the second book comes out.

with regards to the other point- I think we're meant to use all the current daemons as undivided daemons until the next book comes out

Well lets look at it. Inquisition uses IG soliders as the bulk of its units(Storm Troopers). Putting in IG doesn't do alot. Mixing IG and Sister or IG and GK really doesn't open alot of abuse. GK's are very exspensive on points and sisters are on average better without the guard.

The thing is with a Guard like codex for chaos and Marines then you will have 2-4 squads of beefed up marines for CC then just use cultists for shooting and mass waves of infantry to hold the enemy. Besides from what was said the only way the two chaos codices would be mixed would be at a very high point level(IE Apoc.)

Choas Marine armies with cheap fodder elements have a bad history for potential abuse. Such mixes would need to be carefully done.

I can see the issue with this, something along the lines of a CSM army taking 2 tiny traitor units with a heavy weapon for like 80 points each or so.

However you could do what the current LATD codex does and mandate full sized squads.

I've mentioned it before but to me, a true Chaos force should be able to include marines, daemons, mutants and traitors of all sorts. However I can see that that would be much too big for a single codex and I'm hoping that the new daemon codex will not only incorporate the LATD of old, but work side by side with the CSM codex to allow for that kind of Chaos horde army.

I agree that too much chopping and changing from the CSM codex would dilute the LatD list and be potentially abusing. However, it is very easy to solve - just allow CSM squads to be an elite choice in Codex: Deamonworld. Although it would be fluffy to allow them marks, you could quite easily them none to keep them basic. No skills and max the squad size to 10, then you could easily represent Word Bearer and Alpha legion armies. Grief, make them a 0-1 choice if you are really concerned that they will be gamebreakers.

Another idea is that you use the Epic LatD list as a foundation, which doesn't have any CSM, but you can represent them on the leaders retinue. Maybe the ability to buy marines as "chosen" body guards? The Epic list is very good and packed out with funky deamon items, so I'd really like this to be the basis - it's a proper Chaos army, that gives you the potential to go many ways (daemon legion, traitor guard, Mutant horde).

Think about this - if Codex: Daemon doesn't have any cultists/mutants in, then WH40k will have no updated, legal list to portray what the vast majority of Chaos armies are meant to look like. What a crying shame that would be :)

Archived