The "Other" Chaos Gods

Mithras

Hello, Brothers...

During a very long drive the other day, my wife (also a wargamer) asked me to explain the Chaos Deities to her in 40k terms. After I finished going over the "big four" (and Malal), she said, "are there others?". Of course there are, I explained to her. These are merely the 'top of the heap', so to speak. Which lead me to think...

What about the Other Chaos Gods? And what about Legions dedicated to them?

As we drove past a giant book sale, I suddenly screamed, "BOOKS FOR THE BOOK GOD", and got a very silly image of a Chaos God obsessed with knowledge... a veritable 'Book Wyrm', if you will. So, I thought to myself, "these could be serious, or not so serious".

So here's the question. Partly for amusement sake and partly because I actually think it would be a fun side project. If you were designing a DIY Chaos Legion/Faction, and you were basing said faction upon one of the OTHER Chaos Gods (not Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaneesh, Khorne, or Malal), who would you choose? What would they look like? Any thoughts on this?

For my part, I'd probably do something "semi-serious", ie: not wild enough that it would be too silly to be fielded, but with a tinge of dark humor (in the style of previous editions).

How about, for example, the Chaos God of Pseudo-Science?

Just a thought. Would be interested in hearing yours. Maybe it'll be good fuel for those of us considering entering the new contest.

-M.

I once did a "Cthulhu Mythos" chaos army. Sort of a chaos god of fear of the unknown/otherness, but not "chaos" (sentient psychic energy forming into warp beings) per se. It was more of a ancient, not understandable level beyond the warp. But because it all got filtered through the warp, the followers of these beings got a distorted representation of it. When the entities extended their little finger into the material realm, it punctured through the warp causing eddies and magnifying the psychic essences of those near by, unleashing "daemons" that were an immediately reflection of the mortals. So even when they made their presense known, people on both sides were shielded from the incomprehensible madness that would have over taken them if they had seen without it filtered/distorted through the warp.

For my greater deamon, I used a Dunwich Horror monster from RAFM's Call of Cthulhu line:

http://www.rafm.com/images/product/COCB/02012.jpg

It's a nice big, strange imposing model. When you look at it, the anatomy doesn't make sense and you try to figure out what you're looking at.

The problem is, as cool as making my own chaos god would be, he would just end up being my Gaming clubs long running joke of a 6th chaos god, Colin, God of Chinese Burns and Akward Silences (no, I have NO idea where he came from).

I'm a big lovecraft fan myself BloodRed, nice idea.

If you look up Warhammer Fantasy in Wikipedia, scroll to the bottom and look for Chaos gods, they have some other...minor useless chaos things. I personally made my own for the amusement of myself and everyone who hates Railguns, but is happy when they roll a 1. Nugliar The Blind. Everytime a Railgun misses clap your hands and laugh, and call the Tau ugly overgrown short dolphins with hooves. Course it isnt very sportmanship like, but 3 teams of 3 broadsides is ENOUGH i mean DAM, give my heavies a chance to live just 1 tuuuuuuuurn. >_> Nugliar is Railgun backwards by the way

The great thing about this is that there could be benevolent chaos gods. Sure, the hateful emotions that created the big four are perhaps more common or stronger, but there's lots of good feelings too in the universe- who's to say these haven't coalesced into "good" warp entities?

In fact, that is the reasoning behind my DIY chapter of radical marines... They work and fight and crusade for the Emperor alongside and with the help of a bunch of these benevolent warp entities. (Seriously, devotion to the Emperor alne ought to have created a minor chaos god by now..)

devotion to the Emperor alne ought to have created a minor chaos god by now

but thats the whole point about the emperor, he does have a large enough presence in the warp, thats why if his body died he would become the fifth chaos god, and the most powerful as he has more worsipers than any other:P

And interesting twist is that it is enforce adulation. While the initial worship may have empowered the Emperor, the current Imperial regime rules through intolerance and fear. It's entirely possible that while the worship is making the Emperor stronger, the Imperium itself may give birth to a new Chaos God, one of Domination and Xenophobia.

So what you are saying is that their is a Chaos god of Love? McDreamy The Chaos God of Love ? o_O;; His lesser demon choices are cupid and his greater demon is what Aphrodides? O_o Colour scheme could be red pink and white with hearts as the emblem.

So what you are saying is that their is a Chaos god of Love? McDreamy The Chaos God of Love ? o_O;; His lesser demon choices are cupid and his greater demon is what Aphrodides? O_o Colour scheme could be red pink and white with hearts as the emblem.

It's rumored that the Rainbow Warriors fell to his worship, which is why the Sisters of Battle were unleashed against them. However, the Rainbow Warriors' power was too great, and they brought the Sisters over to their side. Now, they are spending all eternity locked in power armoured love and making CareBears.

I probably sound stupid for asking this, but who is Malal and what is he/she/it the god of?

And certainly the dice gods are chaos gods...

Malal is the god of the downtrodden, the oppressed, and is said to hate the other Chaos gods. He's mocked for being the "emo god". I believe he used to be mentioned in the fluff from the RT-era days, but then GW dropped him because he might have been too much of a "good" evil deity. Or maybe they just wanted four, because it's easier to do an eight-pointed star than a ten-pointed star.

I probably sound stupid for asking this, but who is Malal and what is he/she/it the god of?

Malal is the god of the downtrodden, the oppressed, and is said to hate the other Chaos gods. He's mocked for being the "emo god". I believe he used to be mentioned in the fluff from the RT-era days, but then GW dropped him because he might have been too much of a "good" evil deity. Or maybe they just wanted four, because it's easier to do an eight-pointed star than a ten-pointed star.

I don't know about "Emo" god really, that'd be Slaanesh IMHO ;). Here's the linky to the Wikipage on Malal.

Also, Malal's not the "fifth", It was invented before the four established ones.

/Cheers

Not a stupid question at all. Malal was one of the early Chaos Gods. His "sphere" is as described here elsewhere. God of the oppressed and downtrodden, also god of Malice. In early editions of Fantasy, he (not Slaneesh) was the youngest of the major Chaos powers. Interesting character. He has since been written out of continuity (well, sort of), but there are still Chaos Warriors and Marines who pop up from time to time dedicated to him, or with very similar names. For example - the Sons of Malice.

-Mithras

Hmm, I beg to differ there about Malals sphere. Not really the god of the downtrodden and oppressed as such. Malal embodies Chaos' tendency for self destruction and self loathing and is parasitic in nature. His power grows as the others grow. And the one piece of fluff that ranks him places him (maybe) as the first of the chaos gods. " He who went first now came last..." If I remember the wording correctly.

/Cheers

Hmm, I beg to differ there about Malals sphere. Not really the god of the downtrodden and oppressed as such. Malal embodies Chaos' tendency for self destruction and self loathing and is parasitic in nature. His power grows as the others grow. And the one piece of fluff that ranks him places him (maybe) as the first of the chaos gods. " He who went first now came last..." If I remember the wording correctly.

You're spot on. The unfortunate lack of official Malal material has led to his misrepresentation across the net. I endeavor to separate fact from 'fiction'.

My theory on Malaal:

Realising that Malaal was the single biggest threat to their exsistence, the 4 major chaos gods hatched a plan to destroy him. Rather than attack him in the warp(where they would surely be defeated) the chaos gods seduced Malaal's followers. Khorne took the madmen, those driven into bloody rages by their jelousy and loathing. Slaneesh took the selfish, those who were jelous of others simply because they had something that they desired. Nurgle called to those who wallowed in despair, unwilling and unable to cope with their own bitterness. Tzeentch seduced the schemers, those who spent their time plotting horrible acts of vengence. Without his follower's souls to sustain him, Malaal eroded to the brink of non-exsistence. In recent times he has gained more followers (Sons of Malice, etc.) and his strength is returning.

What would be interesting is how the other "gods" in the 40k universe stack up agains the Big Four. I mean, you've got the Laughing God of the Harlequins and Kaela Mensha Khaine (who in WHFB mythology is an aspect of Khorne) of the Eldar, and Gork and Mork of the orks. The Necron gods aren't among these, as the Warp is anathema to their beings.

Archived