Dead Space Marines

Brother Morgan

I've always thought that it was unrealistic on the gaming front that "dead" models are just removed from the table. I decided to make a couple of dead/wounded marines but got a bit carried away!!!!!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/IMG_2329.jpg Tactical Squad 1

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/IMG_2328.jpg Tactical Squad 2

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/IMG_2327.jpg Assault Squad

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/IMG_2326.jpg Devastator Squad

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/IMG_2511.jpg Scout Squad

This "little" project took a long time to produce. All models have parts shaved off to ensure they lie flat on their bases and lots of milliput was used. Some backpacks and shoulder pads have been left off for ease of painting.

My usual base would be a simple green flock, but as I did these when Cities of Death came out, I'm considering a more urban, rubble strewn basing policy.

Please can I have your thoughts.

They are very well done -- I especially like the Scout with ribs showing, and the poses where Marines are lying on their sides. My only constructive criticism: some of the feet look too rigid. I know that ankle and foot re-posing is difficult, though.

P.S. The Assault Marine embedded head-first in the ground is clever.

W.

Yeah, if you do indeed go the Cityfight route, you should stick him head first in a wall. :teehee:

that would quite probably be the best idea i have ever heard.

I had a similar idea recently and am currently part way through making a marine dying from a melta wound. Although since I suck at repositioning, hes also missing most of his limbs

You have waaaay too much spare time and money :teehee: It's a nice idea, I remember back when I first started I used to insist on leaving casualties lying dead on the battlefield. I doubt I'd go this far, but what could be fun is a little dead marine leaning on a banner you could place wherever one of your units finally met their end in a battle. Would also double up as very handy loot counters.

I like the add and some of the posses are great but sheesh you have gone a lil overkill with almost a full army of dead marines. On the whole its pretty cool but a few poses are unrealistic...ie stagnant unnatural posses......maybee throw some injured marines in there....using their dead buddies as cover or trying to help wounded ones.

Maybee I'm being overly critical.

Hello All

You could group them in clusters and make scenery out of them... add some wrecked vehicles and such to clutter up a battlefield... but in my experience, it's just as often the other side needs casualties too, how about some dead tyranids or eldar ;)

Cheers and happy hunting...

Thanks for your input on the models. In regards to expense, I have been collecting Space Marines since Rogue Trader and have lots of spares. Also, Ebay is a wonderful invention. I always manage to get new kits for 1/2 the Retail Price and therefore can buy 2 kits for the price of 1.

I left most without bases to allow me to position them on ANY battlefield without their bases not fitting into the terrain. What are your thoughts on this? Should I bite the bullet and base them or not?

Nice models, just seems a little strange that they all have a firm grip on their weapons, since you'd guess that you might not hold on to that heavy bolter when you're dead...

Nah, if they would loosen the grip around their bolters they wouldn't be space marines!

But I have to say this is hilarious (the assaultsquad guy actually made me laugh out loud) and very well executed.

Some people here said some of the poses look a little unatural. You can easily fix this after you have placed them where ever you want (bases or terrain) by placing them next to "stuff" that affects their positions (leaning on a barrel or a bent leg over a steel girder...). But i have to say that using them as "gravestones" like in worms would be very funny. <_<

I love what you have done to them. Looks great! :teehee:

One small detail that I find interesting and no one has commented on is the soles on the boots that you have added. Nice job. It is these kinds of little details that will make these really interesting on the field. BTW, I too laughed when I first saw the "head plant."

Nice work...