Dead Space Marines

Brother Morgan

absolutely amazing. I tilt my hat to you.

This is something I have intended to do for years!... it is nice to see someone actually going through with it.

Cheers!

• 4 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I'm slowly going through my old projects whilst waiting for bits to arrive from America and fancied painting some dead Space Marines I made 5 years ago!!

gallery_28844_5325_574415.jpg

Even in death, a SM holds onto his weapons!!

If I played 40k, this figure would be used to replace a killed SM Scout Sergeant. After finishing my Imperial SM Outpost, I had some snow effect left over, so for a change from my usual boring green flock finish, I thought I'd give a snow base a go. I used some gloss varnish on the soles and top part of his feet to give the impression of walking through snow - you can't really see this in the photo. I decided to go with a basic snow camoflage undergarments, just to break up my usual choice of black undergarments.

gallery_28844_5325_987562.jpg

Here's a side view of the damage caused by some form of flesh eating (not bone!) weapon! I thought I'd use Blood Red around the edges of the wounds and Mechrite Red in the blood that has soaked into the snow. I don't know if this realistic, but I thought it looked alright.

gallery_28844_5325_627597.jpg

I thought a blood trickle would look cool.

I have just based another 3 SM Scouts and am waiting for the PVA on the base to dry. I'll post some pictures later. I'm about 60% finished on the final member of the squad - a couple more hours and this squad will be finished.

I have recently bought a lot of open hands for SM and am contemplating making/converting some more casualties. Any suggestions?

Regards, Brother Morgan.

If he has fresh blood on his face I would lose the green flesh tone and go with just pale.

Cool idea,dead marines should give a small cover save IMO if they go to ground behind them

Scout Squad member chest and gut shot:

gallery_28844_5325_182167.jpg

gallery_28844_5325_51014.jpg

Scout Squad member head shot:

gallery_28844_5325_485712.jpg

This is my favourite (this seems strange saying that!).

gallery_28844_5325_283931.jpg

Better view of the blood pool.

Scout Squad member chest shot:

gallery_28844_5325_324118.jpg

gallery_28844_5325_306967.jpg

I've tried to paint the eyelids shut. It seems strange on a model to paint the eyes shut and I think it looks a bit odd!

One more to go and the Scout Squad will be finished.

I plan on moving onto my "head banging" Assault Squad next - This should be fun!

Comments and Critiques welcome as always.

Regards, Brother Morgan.

Thread--o--mancy to the extreme! But at least it was with updated pictures! I like them! Very cool and would make an awesome thing to put in place of the living once they've fallen. :)

Now they sleep on red snow...

Neat idea. My only nitpick I guess is that if they are freshly killed, their bones wouldn't be stark white?

I think it looks like he took a hit from some sort of acidic weapon or psyker attack. The flesh hasn't rotted away, it was just obliterated.

One of the best Idea's I have seen around 40k in a very long time. I already have the GW dead pack and use along these lines. This however I will have to undertake, even if not to your scale.

My only comment is that the dead you painted are a nice green, but laying on a snow base. Flesh left in the cold takes on more of a light blue to dark blue hue, and frozen blood looks almost black

Take it for what its worth.

I think they are really cool but do have to agree with the flesh comments.

If they were fresh kills I'd go with a bleached bone or light grey base and lighten it because as it stands the green contrasts a bit too much against the snow base and although the wounds seem fresh the flesh suggests advanced decomposition. If you used regular flesh tones you'd bump them up from good to amazing. For the bones I'd do them in bleached bone and either stipple them with black or give them a few red/scorched brown washes.

Either way very nice work and I respect your commitment to this little project. :)

One of the best Idea's I have seen around 40k in a very long time. I already have the GW dead pack and use along these lines. This however I will have to undertake, even if not to your scale.

My only comment is that the dead you painted are a nice green, but laying on a snow base. Flesh left in the cold takes on more of a light blue to dark blue hue, and frozen blood looks almost black

Take it for what its worth.

I think they are really cool but do have to agree with the flesh comments.

If they were fresh kills I'd go with a bleached bone or light grey base and lighten it because as it stands the green contrasts a bit too much against the snow base and although the wounds seem fresh the flesh suggests advanced decomposition. If you used regular flesh tones you'd bump them up from good to amazing. For the bones I'd do them in bleached bone and either stipple them with black or give them a few red/scorched brown washes.

Either way very nice work and I respect your commitment to this little project. :D

Thanks for the comments guys. In regard to the flesh colour, my Legion of the Dead are loosely based on the Legion of the Damned (same paint scheme but normal SM points value). I always paint the "alive" SM's with (my last bottle of ) rotting flesh, so this is the normal flesh colour of all my marines.

If I painted the flesh in the normal way, thanks for the tip on the slightly bluish tinge.

Regards, Brother Morgan.

Haha these are awesome. Reminds me of a project I wanted to do for 40k. This is the sort of thing that's very easy (and great fun) to do in other wargame settings e.g. historical, but only because models in those systems tend to come 40-50 to a box for about half the price of GW... Still, these are fantastic :( Looking forward to seeing the power armoured marines painted up!

Haha these are awesome. Reminds me of a project I wanted to do for 40k. This is the sort of thing that's very easy (and great fun) to do in other wargame settings e.g. historical, but only because models in those systems tend to come 40-50 to a box for about half the price of GW... Still, these are fantastic :) Looking forward to seeing the power armoured marines painted up!

Thanks for your thoughts BrotherCaptainArkhan. I have been in this hobby since 1987 and have acquired a lot of spare parts and bits. After you make and paint 20 Tactical Squads, 15 Assault Squads, 15 Terminator Squads, 10 Devastator Squads and 10 Scout Squads there is no real need to make anymore squads.

I haven't bought any new kits from GW for about 6 years (thus avoiding the huge price rises). If I do buy anything, it's through eBay or from bits suppliers (especially when they have sales) - this normally means I get things for less than half price. I still have enough parts to make another 20+ SM's should any new project take my fancy.

Regards, Brother Morgan.

Final Space Marine Scout:

gallery_28844_5325_570594.jpg

Can't tell what killed this one.

A final group shot of the SM Scout squad:

gallery_28844_5325_352579.jpg

Even in death, SM keep their spacing!!

Just need to finish some highlights and tidy up some mistakes and my first Assault Squad casualties will be ready for pictures.

Regards, Brother Morgan.

More updates - Assault Squad:

gallery_28844_5325_601734.jpg

Just need to add some more snow to the left of his left foot and by his hand holding the chainsword for this one to be completely finished.

gallery_28844_5325_652740.jpg

This legionnaire has an appropriate slogan on his shoulder plate!

gallery_28844_5325_223699.jpg

Chest shot. Apologies for the blurred photo.

gallery_28844_5325_151833.jpg

gallery_28844_5325_53113.jpg

This legionnaire has had a mine/chainsword accident and has lost both legs.

gallery_28844_5325_293278.jpg

You can just about make out the remains of his legs with the bone protruding through the blood.

gallery_28844_5325_56459.jpg

My personal favourite, this legionnaire has just been killed and has ploughed straight into the ground. This shows the moment just after impact. I'm not sure or not to add some more snow to the base to give the impression he has gone further into the ground. What does anybody else think?

gallery_28844_5325_306395.jpg

These have been fun to paint and has really motivated me to finish off the remains of this 10 man Assault Squad before I move back to another project. I've just received the tank treads I need from America to start the second track unit on my LR Spartan conversion.

I'll try and post up some more photo's later.

Comment and critiques welcome as always.

Regards, Brother Morgan

Having checked out the link in your signature I can see the green skin making more sense now, you should chuck up a shot of one of your many impressive marines in this thread so that people can get a sense of context and see what it is that your guys are based on. :)

Keep up the good work, they are looking great! Really like the assault marine with the hole in his chest. :P

2 more Assault Marines finished:

gallery_28844_5325_372250.jpg

Whoops... my leg has fallen off!

gallery_28844_5325_49725.jpg

Close up of his stump.

gallery_28844_5325_543125.jpg

"I seem to have dropped my contact len's"

gallery_28844_5325_348278.jpg

I have almost finished the last 4 Assault Marines. Been knackered for the last couple of nights so I haven't been as productive as I could have been. Hopefully get them up tomorrow.

Regards, Brother Morgan.