Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modelling: How to make sonic weapons

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Reaper31

Reaper31

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Red Corsiars
Hi all!

I was looking for a cheap way to make sonic blasters and blastmasters for my noise marine squad, and I started experimenting with bits and pieces I had lying around. Below is the finished result and a tutorial on how you can make your own good looking and cheap sonic blasters.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The Things You Will Need
1 gun-barrel head(small) from the chaos vehicle sprue
2 half inch long pieces of plastic-pipe(2mls thick)
2 half inch long pieces of thin plastic-rod(half a ml thick)
1 larger piece of sprue
1 smaller piece of sprue

Posted Image
Take your larger piece of sprue and cut it as shown above, so that it has an angled edge.

Posted Image
Now attach the smaller piece to the bottom of the larger piece, and attach the pastic-tubing

Posted Image
Then, glue the pastic-rod into the impression between the two pieces of plastic pipe, and glue on the gun-barrel head.
I then detailed the gun by adding a chaos star-point on top out of green-stuff and a small tube on the side out of plastic-rod and green-stuff.
Then just drill into the small piece of sprue and attach to your marine. Use a length of guitar wire as the weapons power-source, coming from behind the back-pack.

Hope this tutorial helps those who want to make cheap and good-looking sonic weapons. I should get the blast-master done soon, so hang in there people!

Edited by The Angelus Sanctus, 14 July 2009 - 11:04 AM.

QUOTE (Playa @ Jun 24 2007, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Duct tape is the Orky midichlorian: It has a Light Side, a Dark Side and binds everything in their universe together . . .

Playa

Red Corsairs: Wins:8 Losses:4 Draws:2

ssorck

ssorck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
Got to say I like this a lot, even better than the 'real' metal ones...

BrianBlessed

BrianBlessed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 734 posts
Good idea, looks cool.

Reaper31

Reaper31

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
Haha thanks ssorck! I wouldnt go that far but yeh they do look nice. I have made a good start on the blastmaster and almost finished the champion(theres just some green-stuffing to finish off with, and the shoulder pads to be added). Pics below.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For the Noise Champion, I thought that the possesed head would look kool and fit well with the grill on the front. I also wanted an organ pipe, so i made one from plasticard on the backpack. The 2 tubes with space marine back-pack exhausts will represent his sonic blaster/bolter, and I will greenstuff some daemonic heads over them and add smaller tubing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is my blastmaster marine. I am yet to sculpt his right hand(it will be holding it like a guitar, with wires coming from his fingers and into the gun). It looks a bit long, but hey you get that. I will also be adding wires coming from the back and into the backpack.

Enjoy,
Reaper31
Duct tape is the Orky midichlorian: It has a Light Side, a Dark Side and binds everything in their universe together . . .

Playa

The Angelus Sanctus

The Angelus Sanctus

++ RUBERO CUNICULUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,084 posts
Very nice DIY Sonic Weapons :wacko: Defintiely looks great, easy to do and uses up alot of spare bits and pieces.

I'm also liking how you've made them to lean away from the conventional Bolter-base conversion.
Armies Owned:
Angels of the Lion (DA): Grand Master Angelus Sanctus | Space Wolves: ? | Iron Hands: ? | Sisters of Battle: ?
Emperor's Children: Lord Amorr'ei Ge'hinnom | Thousand Sons: ? | Word Bearers: ?

My Stuff:
My Photobucket | My Blog | My B&C PC&A Blog

Reaper31

Reaper31

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
Angelus: Yeh I was thinking of using the bolter-based ideas...but they didnt scream "sonic" or "slaanesh" to me. I wanted something sleeker, less technicle and more arcane. I think I have acheived this.

Stay tuned for more sonic goodness in the next few days!

Reaper31

Edited by Reaper31, 30 September 2007 - 09:44 AM.

Playa

Brother Nihm

Brother Nihm

++ INTEMPESTA NOX ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 11,803 posts
  • Chapter Name: Scourges of Quintus
The republic of Chaos cry out for updates! :tu:
Posted Image
My Blog | My Gallery | Call of Chaos: IV, V

crandall87

crandall87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 122 posts
These are mine. I have a doom siren marine at the front and on our right, his left, is my blastmaster marine.

Posted Image

Warsmith Peturabo

Warsmith Peturabo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts
crandall--

Very nice work. The one on the right looks to me like a great nod to the original Noise Marines. (IMHO the BEST Noise Marines ever)

CaptainLaevitacus

CaptainLaevitacus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 122 posts
Yes I am thinking that for a squad of noise marines that are my hq body guard i will give them all crazy shaped guitars as sonic blasters it should be cool thigns like a flying v that sort of thing big time metal guitars

but either way these are all very cool ideas and concepts I really like them. thanks for helping me get the juices flowing

LuNCHBiZZLe

LuNCHBiZZLe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 441 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors
Is there a tuorial on the blastmaster marines head it look realy cool.

3vilX

3vilX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 135 posts
Lunchbizzle, it's one of the heads from the plastic possessed.
He looks sad... like some Imperial Fists stole his cookies. Awe... poor Iron Warriors.

Guard Basic Training
my Blog (WARNING: some non-PA stuff)
When exterminatus happens, what do you do?
100th post 12/05/07

apparition

apparition

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
Nice weapons reaper, where did u get the small white plastic pipes?

LuNCHBiZZLe

LuNCHBiZZLe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 441 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors
No the 1 with the green stuff that Reaper31 did.

teh_perfesser

teh_perfesser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts
Here's my rediculously easy cut-barrel-off-bolter-replace-with-vehicle-sprue-head style:
Posted Image
I didn't invent the style, but it's ideal for talentless folks like myself. Cut, cut, drill, drill, glue head, bend wire, done.

Of course, clean, stuff gaps, pin every thing.

Edited by teh_perfesser, 23 April 2008 - 02:47 AM.

Lord_Tzeen

Lord_Tzeen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard.
I'm sorry if this seems like a noobish question, or a necro-post, but is there a website online to get that wire you're all using for sonic weapons? A website that delivers to the UK would be really useful, because that wire is just what i'm looking for in some of my conversions, but i cant find it anywhere, and there's no music shop in the town i live in that sells the wire :D

Also, if there's multiple types of guitar wire, could you tell me what the sorts used are called, so i can be sure i get the right sort for the job? i'm not musically inclined, so i don't know if there's loads of types, or just one... :lol:
"Kill! Maim! Burn!" Kharn the Betrayer, at the Imperium's Conference of Religions for Peace
"Wrong Turn Mate, you want the Imperium's Conference for Regilions of Urgh..!" Imperial Diplomat, last words.
QUOTE (Two Daemons in a Bar)
The Commandments of the Space Marine
1. Thou shalt never, ever, ever argue with the Machine Spirit!
2. Thou shalt, whenever in doubt, hit on the blonde Battle Sister.
3. Thou shalt not slap the most holy of buttocks of thine Sisters the Battle Sisters and utter the blasphemous words "OMG l33t a55!", unless thou wishest to clean the treads of thine Rhino with thine tongue!
4. Thou may haveth two livers, but thou shallst not therefore drink twice as much.
5. Thou shallst on pain of death not paint the heretical words: "Your Farseer is my other ride!" upon thine Rhino!

Corus Belial

Corus Belial

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 336 posts
  • Chapter Name: Brotherhood of the Storm
Taking a rough guess Lord_Tzeen, i'd presume that those are standard 9-42 Guitar Strings (9-42 being the minimum and maximum thicknesses of the strings ie: the high e string is 0.09.) So you'd be looking at something like these. I've used parts of these before on some of my models, as they are the strings my brother uses for his Guitar, and I always grab any bits he breaks!

Or alternately you could get these which are virtually the same thing, just from a music store in Portsmouth (UK).

And just because they are made of metal doesn't make them wires! They are strings. Hence why it's said "Oops, my high e snapped, i'll just go re-string it"

Back on topic. I really like these conversions! Simple and effective.

Edited by Corus Belial, 24 June 2008 - 11:18 AM.

Next Army (WIP):
The Pelothar Campaign Force
(Mixed Space Marine Force, elements of multiple Chapters)

QUOTE (arbogast1 @ Jun 14 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Hubernator @ Jun 13 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not get Samuel Jackson to play a Salamander Captain? :P He'd be a kickass Sallie

hehe, I can see it now: "Enough is enough! I have had it with these :cuss -ing Xenos on this :cuss -ing Battle Barge!"

Lord_Tzeen

Lord_Tzeen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 74 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard.

Taking a rough guess Lord_Tzeen, i'd presume that those are standard 9-42 Guitar Strings (9-42 being the minimum and maximum thicknesses of the strings ie: the high e string is 0.09.) So you'd be looking at something like these. I've used parts of these before on some of my models, as they are the strings my brother uses for his Guitar, and I always grab any bits he breaks!

Or alternately you could get these which are virtually the same thing, just from a music store in Portsmouth (UK).

And just because they are made of metal doesn't make them wires! They are strings. Hence why it's said "Oops, my high e snapped, i'll just go re-string it"

Back on topic. I really like these conversions! Simple and effective.

i was just calling them wires because that's what they called them near the top, i know they're really strings, but didn't want to start a "strings Vs. Wires" debate ;)

*proves*

Use a length of guitar wire as the weapons power-source, coming from behind the back-pack.

I didn't invent the style, but it's ideal for talentless folks like myself. Cut, cut, drill, drill, glue head, bend wire, done.

hehe, see? SEE? *points and laughs like a maniac*

.....*laughs nervously*...Anyways, thanks for the info, i'll have to order those strings, thanks again :)

*runs off to get the strings...but not for Sonics, but for DEATH GUARD GASMASK PIPES!!!* mwuahahaha! :)

Edited by Lord_Tzeen, 24 June 2008 - 11:35 AM.

"Kill! Maim! Burn!" Kharn the Betrayer, at the Imperium's Conference of Religions for Peace
"Wrong Turn Mate, you want the Imperium's Conference for Regilions of Urgh..!" Imperial Diplomat, last words.
QUOTE (Two Daemons in a Bar)
The Commandments of the Space Marine
1. Thou shalt never, ever, ever argue with the Machine Spirit!
2. Thou shalt, whenever in doubt, hit on the blonde Battle Sister.
3. Thou shalt not slap the most holy of buttocks of thine Sisters the Battle Sisters and utter the blasphemous words "OMG l33t a55!", unless thou wishest to clean the treads of thine Rhino with thine tongue!
4. Thou may haveth two livers, but thou shallst not therefore drink twice as much.
5. Thou shallst on pain of death not paint the heretical words: "Your Farseer is my other ride!" upon thine Rhino!

InquisitorDavrik

InquisitorDavrik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 32 posts
Anyone know a good website for getting the plastic rods? I can't seem to find anything with the correct sizes or good prices..

Since I can't seem to find any that messure in ML's >.>

Edited by InquisitorDavrik, 22 August 2008 - 09:16 AM.

=][= By the Inquisition, I will get what i want.=][=

The_Crippster

The_Crippster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 176 posts
idk about the half MM ones, but the inside tube on a ball point pen seems pretty close.
QUOTE (Dan The Deamon @ Mar 9 2010, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's that team who's set up to loose against the Harlem globetrotters? I feel like we're playing the "bad guy" codex and we only exist to give all the new Space marine players some entertainment.

Full Metal Racket

Full Metal Racket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 35 posts
  • Chapter Name: FULLMETALRACKET
Some good ideas here guys, I think I'll make some more custom weapons now :cuss
Here's my Possessed Champ with Custom Doom Siren. . . from '03-04
Posted Image

Other Champ with Doom siren 3rd left, have added wiring coming from the "skull exhausts" and some on the back, might add the mouth speaker from noise marine head with to their open mouths.
Posted Image

RACKETY RACK ! WE DON'T FALL BACK, WE'RE HERE TO ATTACK IT, WE'RE FULL METAL RACKET !
Visit my new blog, FULL METAL RACKET

metempsychose

metempsychose

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts
Hi guys!

Here is my little contribution to this topic...
I started my noise marines years ago, I wanted to play a full Slaanesh dedicated army..

So I needed a lot of Noise Marines for my TROOPS choice.. I didn't had a lot of money, and the GW pack with sonic weapons didn't exist at that time..
Then I decided to use the standard noise marine box, and a little green stuff to give sonic weapons to the whole squad.

Very easy conversion:
-turn the backpack event 180°, to represent something like speaker,
-use your modeling knife to cut the bolter (bolt magazin and the barell)
-drill 2 holes on the bolter and on the backpack, and put guitar string as power cable
-sculp angry faces with "sonic mouth" with GS

Posted Image
Posted Image

Family picture:
Posted Image

And a blastmaster.. (power cable missing....): CSM heavy bolter, plastic sprue, vehicule accessories..
Posted Image

ANd what about the official sonic weapons from my box?? :)
I put them on my Slaanesh Terminators count-as TLbolters, and Reaper Autocannon
Posted Image
Posted Image

Have fun!
Member of the french W40k community... It can explain some synthax error, sorry about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users