Naval Operations of Ultramar

Brother Pariah

Lol, I thought it when I first saw those pics in my own book and and I'll say it again here: those artists suck. Guilliman's flagship design is that of a Dauntless class, and the "battle barges" are a strike craft and seriously squished real battle barge. Seriously, nobody gave those guys any references, did they...either that, or the dumb publisher swapped the names on the ships to make them all wrong. Edited by Seahawk

Could be. They decided that they were more pure, perhaps.

*gasp* I am about to impart unknown knowledge to Brother Pariah?! Wow! Dauntless' are a class of light scouting cruisers with about the same mass as current marine strike cruisers. Thus, making such a ship the flagship of the largest legion is, well, crap.

*gasp* I am about to impart unknown knowledge to Brother Pariah?!

No, sorry. :tu:

Wow! Dauntless' are a class of light scouting cruisers with about the same mass as current marine strike cruisers.

I knew that. I'm a HUGE Lensman fan, so I always pay attention to Dauntlesses when I encounter them.

Thus, making such a ship the flagship of the largest legion is, well, crap.

*Shrug* The flagship is just the ship that the Admiral is on. Could be a battleship, could be a light cruiser, could be a minesweeper.

Edited by Brother Pariah

Aw. Well I figured since you weren't an Imperial Navy expert as you said, you might not have known. But yes, the design has been around since forever.

Although, now that you mention it, the current line of ships should theoretically be all post heresy. All chaos ships were the IN pre-heresy, then some transitional designs were being introduced (Vengeance class and variants) just before the heresy, after which the overall design of what we have now was the "holy" version of ships, as well as the crappy version by comparison.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Lexy's link

Wiki's Link

Keep finding conflicting information as to the size of the Ultra's fleet. For example:

10 Battle Barges: Aeternus, Emperor Incarnatus, Adsidus, Seditio Opprimere, Lord Laomedon, Honours Fist, Faiths Pyre, Icon Of Faith, Imperator Rexelius, Infernus Iconus.

15 Strike Cruisers: Vae Victus, Iter Splendere, Fidelis, Internecio, Accipiter, Valin's Revenge, Garra de Macragge (Macragge's Claw) [The rest are currently unknown for namesake]

20 Rapid Strike Cruisers

75 Thunderhawks

or

3 Battle Barges: Octavius, Caesar, Severian

8 Strike Cruisers, including the Vae Victus, Valin's Revenge and the Garra de Macragge (Macragge's Claw)

12 Rapid Strike vessels

31 Thunderhawks

That is quite a difference, dont ya think.

Edited by spjaco

Thanks, to tell the truth with the system being so large it doesnt make since for the Ultra's fleet to match the smaller list.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Battlebarge: "I would rate this vessel as comparable to an Emperor class battleship,..."

Strike Cruiser: "...vessels whose mass is slightly less than our own Dauntless class light cruisers."

Basically, we have big and small. A battle barge would match the Imperial battleships for length, with better armor and shielding. Strike cruisers would be probably just over three kilometers long, right around there. Maybe even smaller.

• 2 months later...
I found some related info about the dimensions of the RSV's and Strike Cruisers in the new Rogue Trader rulebook. Added it into a "ship dimensions" category, though I forgot to write down page numbers. I'll get that within a couple days.

• 1 month later...

There is an Ultramar Defence Fleet, which seems to include standard Imperial ships, including Heavy Cruisers. (Codex: Tyranids, 2010, page 12)

There are Starnova class Orbital Weapons Platforms in orbit over Macragge (Codex: Tyranids, 2010, page 12)

Private ships in the area can be commandeered by Marneus Calgar and crewed with those loyal to him in times of direst emergency; the approach of hive fleet Behemoth was one such time. (Codex: Tyranids, 2010, page 12)

Edited by Seahawk

There is an Ultramar Defence Fleet, which seems to include standard Imperial ships, including Heavy Cruisers. (Codex: Tyranids, 2010, page 12)

I've been saying this for years and everyone* has always declared shenanigans on it! HA! That'll show you! *shakes fist in defiance* ;)

Glad to see we're gettin some new details outta our arch-foes. I <3 Ultramar info. :)

*statistics not verified

I've been saying this for years and everyone* has always declared shenanigans on it! HA! That'll show you! *shakes fist in defiance* :)

I dunno, I'm pretty sure I supported you on that as it's something I would agree with! If not I apologise!

Given the additional information in Codex Tyranids on Ultramarines fluff would people consider it a worthwhile buy to get it? I doubt I will ever buy an army, but I am tempted lately...

There actually isn't all that much, Idaho. I've pretty much posted as much as there is. I'm going to read my copy here tonight to see if there's anything more but I highly doubt it. I get the Tyranid codex each time it comes out, simply because I love to read through it. We'll see if I get the same feeling this time.

• 1 month later...

Ok, yet another unlisted ship:

Guilliman's Honour

Gladius Class Frigate.

All contact with the ship was lost while it was on a patrol mission along the frontiers of Ultramar.

Ship relocated on the surface of the planet Espandor. The ship is still intact, but the Marines onboard are dead and their bodies are being violated while the ship itself is being looted by Orks.

The ship is then liberated by the Ultramarines' 4th Company and the bodies of their fallen Brothers are reclaimed.

What Company the ship served is uncertain. The only markings I can see on it is one golden and one white Aquila.

Her ultimate fate is also uncertain, though my guess is that it undergoes repairs and is somehow relaunched into space.

Source: "Defenders of Ultramar" issue 1 and 2.

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle